Post Icons

Rune

Do you use post icons for anything? 

CW has a few. All are optional and the "warning" ones were requested, so we added them in.

M - A mature thread

S- Sex.

V - Violence

L- Language

A star! - An event related thread.

+ - Open thread.

x - Finished thread.

• Love 1

We use them for many things. As soon as I figured out how, at least.

quiteafew.jpg

I think it actually started with the ad icons and then kind of expanded from there, and now the first post's icon can do Neat Stuff too, like filter out mature content for those that aren't interested in it, and gather up a list of open threads for people to crash join. I actually get vaguely annoyed at people that don't use them. I had to block them off from guests, because they were using them and confusing filters and people (no, you don't get to mark it first link before I've linked back, nor do you get to use the want ad icons for your affiliate requests, and even if your site is a mature site, marking your ad with it just hides it from a third of the board, so good on ya).

I am, sometimes, quite finicky.

• Love 3

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I actually hide my post icons completely and input some javascript near the bottom of my wrappers.

Using that, members can tag their threads as the following, and I feel it's more accessible, both to visually-impaired users (not another image to load that doesn't have an alt+title tag. Without those it may as well be invisible if either your contrast is bad or if you use a screenreader. Also not an image in general 😛) and in that members are able to use more than one. As they go directly in the title, I can have them show up in all the places that the post icon doesn't like the board index, recent posts area, the actual thread, search, etc. 

[o] for an open thread

[c] for complete/finished

[ip] for in-progress or private threads

[f] for mass fights

[d] for "dead" threads

[nsfw] for just that.

I also have tags for each member group, which are used to denote faction meetings without having to go through and tag every member in that group individually (doesn't actually tag anyone, but lets others know at a glance) as well as tags for accepted/pending characters.

• Great Idea 1

I love post icons - bonus points if they cute.

In the past, I've used post icons for announcements, events, developments, writing prompts, mature threads, open threads, completed threads, side quests, questions, solved questions, advertisements, important/informational topics...I think that's it?

I hadn't considered that they were just another image to load on a page though (obv, yes, but for some reason it never occurred to me). If that's a problem though you could always make another version of your skin where they're text/symbols instead of images? 

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Actually, in Nova, we don't have something for that, but looking at this topic it would be useful to have. This way people would know what a Character dev post is and what a mission post. We do have separate posting, called a personal log, but that is more a diary. Might look deeper into this 😄

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

I love the idea of them, I just haven't actually sat down and forced myself to implement them. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

On 8/5/2018 at 2:56 AM, RaWolfe said:

Actually, in Nova, we don't have something for that, but looking at this topic it would be useful to have. This way people would know what a Character dev post is and what a mission post. We do have separate posting, called a personal log, but that is more a diary. Might look deeper into this 😄

On a PBeM I did years ago, they had a prefix similar to what @kjSage mentioned.  I suspect Nova could be similar? (I honestly have no idea how Nova works.)

3 hours ago, Rune said:

On a PBeM I did years ago, they had a prefix similar to what @kjSage mentioned.  I suspect Nova could be similar? (I honestly have no idea how Nova works.)

The prefix on the coding could be used in the style of simple HTML. Thought it only counts on certain blocks of coding, as the maker has prevented to use full HTML on those sections due security reasons. So its a bit puzzling as to where it is possible. 

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm