How Much Do You Draw on Your RL Experience?

Dragon

It's a bit of a give and take for me. There are some things in my life that really shaped me and sometimes end up shaping my characters. Other times I play people or things that I've always wanted to experience but can't. I love being someone I'm not, but I feel like there is a genuine part of me in each of my characters. 

• Love 1

BFDTRIAL.png.529db59dba91cf02803411f1d464de5d.png

• 1 month later...

In playing a lot of supernatural themes, there is of course a lot of content that can't be taken from real life experiences. I do hang onto a lot of physical sensory stuff to use in writing - the way a mountain looks in the sunshine, what water feels like, the way an old building "slouches." I have also recently had a lot of little life changes in which I am able to name and describe feelings with more ease, and that is pretty rewarding to apply to character thoughts and development.

https://passingstrange.net/images/misc/passingstrangebanner.png

I often give my characters traits or likes and dislikes that I have, and some of their experiences and skills may draw from mine. But at the end of the day, I don't want to roleplay as me, and part of the appeal in roleplaying (for me at least) is having your character experiencing things that you haven't necessarily gone through.

• Agree 1

spacer.png

Come and join us in Ancient Rome!

I don't draw on myself that much, but I will use skills and stuff that I've learned. Like, I've done a lot of backpacking and high altitude hiking/climbing, and other outdoor stuff. So especially with fantasy, I use my own skills to help add verisimilitude. Same with shooting skills, survival, and stuff like that. 

Aure entuluva! Day shall come again! - The Children of Hurin

• 2 weeks later...

Mhm... I've pulled from myself a lot, particularly the emotional aspects!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Kore said:

I love being someone I'm not, but I feel like there is a genuine part of me in each of my characters. 

I feel the same way. I believe there is a bit of me in all of my characters, but they get to explore emotions and situations I may never be able to (or would want to, for that matter).

I do pull from past experiences sometimes to try to make something feel more real. For instance, if I have a character who is experiencing a lot of anxiety, I'll use what I know/have felt in order to be more accurate with how I'm writing it. But most of the time I ask "how would -character name- handle this situation?". Since some of my characters have vastly different personalities than me. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely draw on RL experience, not always in terms of what a character may go through, but how they act and speak. I love to people watch, which sort of goes hand in hand with commuting on public transport as I end up with plenty of time on my hands to just ... observe? Gestures, habits, mannerisms. Characters with an accent are almost always grounded in people I know IRL with that accent. So, small details like that definitely influence my writing. Tackling larger issues really does depend on the issue itself - I've no experience of living out of a van, for example, or camping, but you can bet your bottom dollar I spent hours upon hours watching instructional videos and youtube blogs on tiny living, van conversions, van life etc because I wanted to make a character who did just that.

• 1 year later...

I'm a paleontologist and I have written paleontology (usually different than what I study) characters before. Likewise, I write other fields of science like marine biologists or surgeons. But typically I write canon characters from fandoms, who I relate to on some level. 

banner.gif

• 9 months later...

Every now and again I will use RL experiences to help aid cohesive dialogue. I think sometimes it adds a bit of genuine 'human' into your words--definitely adds to the story.

• 8 months later...

It's more like I take different characteristics or funny moments to evolve the scenes and characters. Still, I try not to hold onto something or someone too closely, since that could end bad. For example, if you base a character off of a friend, when your friendship falls apart, I feel like that would also affect the character.

Happy I Love You GIF by pikaole