Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RaWolfe

What kind of Fantasy world would appeal to you?

What kind of Fantasy world would appeal to you?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to start?

• Village
    • City
    • Capital
  2. 2. Where would that location belong to?

• Free city!
    • Part of a Kingdom
    • Part of a Democratic/Republic State
    • Part of a Federation
  3. 3. What kind of system would there be?

• For the king!
    • For our own freedom!
    • For the President
    • For my house Lord!
  4. 4. Would magic be a thing in this realm?

• Yes!
    • Ehh no...
    • Well yes, but... (answer in reply)
  5. 5. Would all magical creatures of all levels be allowed?

• All is allowed!
    • All, except for demons, undead and orcs
    • All, except for elves, dwarfs and any other magical good light being
    • All, except the humans

Well got no idea is going to work (hope the poll works), but the general idea is that I love pitching ideas, brainstorm about new adventures and go where no creative mind has yet been. So then I came to this idea, the poll would give your preference to what you like to see and who knows what might become of this brainstorming session. But why did I do this approach, well in the days I have always leaned heavy on genre and series that already had canonship created for me. But what if you create your own world, how would you like to make it work, what is your law and what is allowed? 

Got no idea how this will go, but hopefully, I would see some brilliant and fun interaction ❤️ If it's not so popular, hey I tried 😉 

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I'm actually an expert but I'll say that I'm well-versed when it comes to worldbuilding. However, I tend to do things a bit differently. For once, I absolutely hate Earth 2.0s, meaning the usual landscapes. Only forests, grasslands, deserts, mountains, icelands and so on? Boring. These are fine but an actually unique world needs unique habitats, especially fantastical ones that could never exist on Earth. All of my continents have a "quirk" that makes them different and none of these would be possible on Earth, like one where the ground is made of an unbreakably hard substance which makes living there tough and is a reason why it's plagued by wars, another one has strange weather and weird natural disasters and so on. Granted, doing this kinda stuff is pretty difficult if you don't have the ideas (I had to rework the world a bunch of times) but it pays off. I also dislike generic races like elves, dwarves, orcs and so on and prefer to create custom ones. Another thing that might be hard to do but is really interesting and gives the world a unique charm.

tl;dr: I go for the 'the more unique, the better' approach.

• Like 2
  • Thank you 1
  • Preach it! 1

Sounds pretty awesome @Gota 😄 The generic races are indeed something you can tweak on, maybe the elves, dwarves and such are the basic ones and over time they evolute into something better? The unbreakable ground, sounds like the bedrock of Minecraft, but also cool idea!!

Oh wow! Glad I spotted this thread.

@Gota makes a great point about designing really unique worlds. I did that when we had our original science fiction site running. I'm afraid my fantasy world is not as unique and some of it relates back to Earth. We want the readers and writers to always wonder if Aereth is the distant past or future of Earth, an alternate universe, or an entirely different world on its own.

The premise pulls elements from many genres which makes the current rewrite of our Codex a real pain in the rump. Our goal was less about complete originality and more toward paying homage to some of our beloved authors and creators. Once it is all redone, I'll be sharing it on the Initiative.

• Like 1

I'll admit that location doesn't matter to me as much as plot, site history, species available, etc. Space, tiny original town, original historical, New York City, I've done em all. I've been on a lot of canon sites in the past but lately I've been leaning more and more towards original for anything involving fantasy and magical elements. I'm not familiar with 95% of the media that's spawning fantasy roleplays and I don't have the time to sit down and read or watch a series on the chance that I might be interested enough to roleplay it. But anyway, this is going to be REALLY rambly and shit and probably won't even be helpful in the end so I'm sorry in advance. 

I tend to click out of fantasy sites that are only have one or two supernatural races or abilities to play, and focus entirely on the human population of the site, or that only have humans around to be chew toys or slaves for the magical people. Or that apparently copied off the same "ten most popular supernatural creatures" list as the last four sites I looked at. There's so many species out there beside angels, demons, vampires, and werewolves! Not to mention that there's a huge variety in mythological or cryptid races. Abatwa are some two inches tall but will kill people that insult their height, banshees usually only herald death but will sometimes actively drive people insane by screaming at them all the time, enenras can only be seen by the pure of heart. 

On top of that, I like sites that don't stick 100% to what you can find by googling the species. For example, I have chupacabras as a playable species on my site. They're human/animal shapeshifters that can hypnotise living beings in their animal form if they maintain eye contact, and can take on an attribute of another creature if they drink its blood. But the abilities are at random, and a chupacabra can't choose between getting a vampire's enhanced strength or getting their inability to be in the sun. Their animal form and hypnotic abilities are established fact, for lack of a better term, but then I added my own original information for the shapeshifting and the being able to take an attribute of another species from their blood. 

Not every site needs a Voldemort or a Sauron or a Cruella de Vil or [insert entirely evil and probably two-dimensional villain here] and not every villain has to be literal Satan to be a bad guy. You know what's worse than someone who wants to kill everyone indiscriminately? Someone who targets a specific innocent group of people. And I like when characters can have a reason to affiliate themselves with the dark side, have a role besides cannon fodder clone #91750, or can freelance jobs from the bad guys without having to work solely for them. Because sometimes the most normal people can be lured into doing bad things, and there's always the chance that that seemingly self-serving type was  double agent all along. Or even better, when characters working for the bad guy figure it out and try to change, like Finn from Star Wars or Nux from Mad Max. 

Honestly, black and white/good and evil ends up boring me - I like to be able to play characters that can recognise and accept the reasons behind the bad guy's actions while realising that he's, y'know, batshit and making things worse. Magneto had a fear that was realistic to him (the Holocaust being reenacted on mutantkind), but he bypassed a realistic and balanced achievement (human and mutant equality) and went right to doing shit that made him a problem (mutant supremacy and terrorist attacks). Also I'd literally sell my soul to be on a board where a main character starts out as a hero and then becomes the villain through increasingly dark acts done in the name of the good guys. Road to hell, people, road to hell. 

Also if you're doing something where there's a bunch of realms or plants (Star Trek comes to mind). Look at Earth. We have some 20 biomes, 200 countries, 4000 religions, and 9 million animal species. Not every planet is going to have one biome, one religion, one leader, etc. Screw "this desert planet has eight life forms, two cities, and one person who rules everything". Why can't that random planet have dozens of countries and hundreds of religions and a bajillion differences in the individuals' appearance and culture? And even if there's a stereotype, there will always be people that don't follow that stereotype on their homeworld, or have never even been to their species' homeworld. Also, not everyone is born in the capital of their planet/country, give me all the "yeah there's 3000 people in the town where I was born and now there's four times that on this spaceship" characters. 

I like magic that isn't strictly wands and flying broomsticks. Especially when the setting says that magic can do anything, I'm so baffled when everyone's characters read like they came from Harry Potter. I'm actually really guilty of looking up lists of mutations or superpowers and then using something I like for a fantasy setting, with adaptations. I'm also SO GUILTY of creating characters that can have immense power but then never using that power cause I get way too wrapped up in character development and interactions and shit, but I like that it's an option. Let people make the equivalent of the magic president/king/queen/whatever, hell, let em run the whole damn government. Players have direct influence on what happens next, which would attract me as a prospect, and I've found that people move the board to places that are completely unexpected but also immensely fun. 

I could keep talking for hours probably so I'm gonna shut up now, hopefully something in there is helpful! If there's something you want talked about more, or a specific problem/question you got, just lemme know and I'll ramble EVEN MORE!

Edited by kita
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, kita said:

Also if you're doing something where there's a bunch of realms or plants (Star Trek comes to mind). Look at Earth. We have some 20 biomes, 200 countries, 4000 religions, and 9 million animal species. Not every planet is going to have one biome, one religion, one leader, etc. Screw "this desert planet has eight life forms, two cities, and one person who rules everything". Why can't that random planet have dozens of countries and hundreds of religions and a bajillion differences in the individuals' appearance and culture? And even if there's a stereotype, there will always be people that don't follow that stereotype on their homeworld, or have never even been to their species' homeworld. Also, not everyone is born in the capital of their planet/country, give me all the "yeah there's 3000 people in the town where I was born and now there's four times that on this spaceship" characters. 

This is absolutely right and a good approach, similar to how we do our world. We plan to have dozens of countries, maybe even over 100 and a lot of different creatures, cultures and biomes. The political landscape is also a bit closer to Earth but with original countries. Like, you can't just go nuts and try to conquer the world because other countries would form a coalition and stomp your ass.

Alright, so I don't claim to be an expert in world building but I do enjoy epic fantasy on a very basic level. It's very difficult for me to dabble in the genre when it comes to RP because I just cannot find the right site. The settings available just do not reflect what I want or everything is roll driven, which drives me mad. The closest thing I can think of to my "ideal" fantasy world would be set up something very similar to the Dragonlance world of Krynn. If you haven't read the books, you absolutely should. My bread and butter will forever be supernatural/modern fantasy, but I have a really soft spot for fantasy settings in the DnD world. 

I like worlds where magic  has limits, and everything comes with a pro and a con. I like worlds where you can play more than just humans if you want to, but humans are still an option because I like to break things and humans are breakable. I like worlds where creatures exist that you'd never see on our Earth. I like dragons and lizard men and unicorns and giant beetles that smother people out of revenge. I like oppression of a certain character  type by a king, various types tyrants, and a few rulers that are respected. I like different types of leaderships sprinkled in various kingdom like sections of the world.  I like seeing societies structured unequally and differently, and I enjoy fighting among factions. I like being able to steal something, get caught, and then try to escape those damn skyrim guards that seem to find you no matter how hard you try to hide from them. 

And at this point, I realize that this is just me, wishing yet again, that someone would make a site for Dragonlance and let me play on it. I hope my list of likes helps!

Edited by eleholly
  • Love 1

On 9/14/2018 at 2:22 PM, eleholly said:

I like worlds where magic  has limits, and everything comes with a pro and a con. I like worlds where you can play more than just humans if you want to, but humans are still an option because I like to break things and humans are breakable. I like worlds where creatures exist that you'd never see on our Earth. I like dragons and lizard men and unicorns and giant beetles that smother people out of revenge. I like oppression of a certain character  type by a king, various types tyrants, and a few rulers that are respected. I like different types of leaderships sprinkled in various kingdom like sections of the world.  I like seeing societies structured unequally and differently, and I enjoy fighting among factions. I like being able to steal something, get caught, and then try to escape those damn skyrim guards that seem to find you no matter how hard you try to hide from them.

Everything I hope my RPG will be - although it won't hit all of it! 

I like roleplaying in places that let me create my own things to add to the world. Where the roleplayers actually affect and move the world around them. Being able to add locations, to the bestiary, and even historical events is pure love for me. Plus it makes it easier on staff, all they would have to do is approve/decline or edit the stuff.

I'm a sucker for old-school fantasy magic medieval stuff, but with twists here and there to make it fresh.

• Like 1
  • Love 1