Thread Lurking

CovertSphinx

BRUH. The amount of threads I'm subscribed to is insane. RPs are the only thing that make up my toilet reading.

That aside, I love to get to know other characters. I like episodic things in general, so reading replies as they come up is fun for me. If I'm genuinely interested in a site, I will read all the things. Or as many things as I can manage. Plus, knowing what else is happening out there gives me inspo for my own things. The nature of rp is to feed off of each other's ideas and I see reading other people's threads as part of that. We're all writing a story here!

Srsly tho. I fangirl hard over other people's chars.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

For the most part I stick to my own threads but every now and then I'll take a peep at what other people are doing. Like, if my muse is low and I read something awesome or inspiring it puts me back on track. Sometimes I'll read a thread and if I like a person's style I'll ask them if they're interested in starting a few plots. Being nosey can be beneficial!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I feel selfish because I rarely read anyone else's threads

E5zAKhe.gif

Guest pyrite

Yes. I'm a post lurker. When I have spare time, lack of inspiration, or I'm getting to know a site I will browse threads. I try to stick to threads that I can read in a thirty-minute span or less, in case I get bored or something comes up.

When I have a bunch of plots or I'm working crazy hours, I tend not to lurk the threads. Mainly because I'm not around.

I skim threads all the time, and read more fully ones with writers I particularly enjoy! I'm also the person who runs Charming's IC consequences system, so I read a lot of shippy threads and pretty much every thread set in a pub. 😅

• Like 1

If only I could. I used to do this years ago. I feel bad that I haven't been able to lately, my own writing projects have taken precedence. When I can lurk, skimming over what's there.

I'm the type of person who sees the value in cliff hangers but I want to keep going. I want to read through to the end. So, I subscribe to the threads so I know when the story is done. Then I binge read! 

"He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away."
- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

I will read others posts if I am looking for something to do, but usually I don't unless they are open and then if one of my characters will fit I may reply. One of the biggest reasons I don't though is because I will be reading and then my proof reading abilities kick in and I start seeing errors and spelling mistakes and I start judging which I try very hard never to do and usually I wind up backing out of threads and going on my merry way. Tis one of the many reasons I don't usually read a lot of fanfiction anymore I find so many errors and misspellings. Most of the time I can get by them but there are times it just ruins the whole story/scene for me and then I sit there and try to figure out what is going on only to further get confused. 

• Agree 1

This is the most egocentric answer I can possibly think of, but I read people's threads if the character is really close with mine so that I can see what they're saying about my characters.

Sometimes it happens by accident! I stumbled into a thread one day where two characters, neither of whom had met my woods witch, were discussing the rumors about her.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am super nosy so I love to read everyone's threads. Even if my characters do not interact with theirs, I like to know whats going on with everyone's characters so that I can chat with the RPer about their character.. Who knows, reading their threads I might also find that our characters SHOULD thread together so I think it's worth reading others if I have the time. 

For me its a mixed bag, because I don't want to anticipate things that my characters have no knowledge of and also there are just some stories I'm not particularly interested in reading (i.e. the writer is difficult to follow or bland). However, as an admin I tend to skim just to keep a lose idea of how things are especially when they involve the overarching story.

If its a smut story though I avoid it entirely. I do not want to read to what can amount to a cyber session between two folks. Nope.

• Love 1

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png