Struggling With A Good Member Gone Sour

Anonymous

So we have a member I will just call Dude. This person has been a member of our site for a long time and he was probably one of our leading members. Very active. Super creative and we adored his characters SO much. Within the time-frame of a month, they had several characters and were very in tune with what what happening on the site. Jumped into plots. Kept up with their small army of characters. Seriously, they were the best member ever. Until he took offense to something one of our staff was doing...

The issue arose surrounding Dude waiting for posts. Which this is why we have relaxed activity requirements and no activity checks, some of us are slow and others don't post in a certain order. Dude had an issue with someone not responding to threads in order, sort of taking it personally that one other person was posting elsewhere while Dude was waiting on a tag from them. (Which Dude messaged ME about instead of the person he was waiting on, I advised them to message them and two days later they got a tag. Assumed they talked it out, guess not come to find out.). Fast forward a few more weeks. Dude flips his lid when someone else admits to forgetting a thread after he rudely told them '-cough- we've been waiting on you', in spite of not being a committed participant to a group thread because she said she might add her character to the thread but never got around to it I believe? It turned into a fest of sarcastic remarks of 'you should use thread trackers, that IS what you have them for...' and then saying 'you have granny memory but its cool, i'm just an ass', and 'i don't really like the notion of someone's post/thread being forgettable'. Really it all smacked of them taking something entirely too personally. They got really passive aggressive and it ended abruptly when we told them to stop. Staff labeled that incident as an emotional meltdown (it was seriously THAT off the wall) and shrugged it off.

Since this incident they have shown less desire to be active. Perpetually busy which spiraled into having trouble keeping up with what is going on. Even after seeming to patch things up they are almost never around, when previously they were checking in on discord every day even on their busiest work days. They popped in to say they had real life get in the way and would be slow. Then they pooffed. They have rarely visited the site and we are considering archiving all of his characters on the basis that activity in the past three to four months have been less than minimal. Maybe one or two posts from each character, one of which is an important role. We tried reaching out to him to check and make sure he was okay because straight up vanishing was weird for him. No response. Only a few weeks later did we get a member that was interested in one of Dude's wanted ads. I informed them that Dude was having a rough patch and probably wouldn't respond but to message him and ask, to which this member says 'oh we already chatted about it'. So... -shrug-

And after that another week of continued silence and inactivity. We are considering reaching out the check on him one more time and if no response then to just archive all his characters until he returns. To us, that seems like the most logical thing, even if they return within a week of archive the laundry list of posts he owes in threads that are MONTHS old, is a hard climb to make plus everyone else has sort of moved on... so it would probably be easier and less stressful for him to return and sort of start fresh with a bit of a time jump. All he has to do is show up and resubmit his characters. At this point I really don't think they will return, i feel it in my gut but who knows, he might surprise me.

Anonymous poster hash: 332f8...f16

Anyone can fall from grace, even if noble in our perspective.  Your member's behavior warrants chastisement.  I don't like heckling, nor should the lady.  Just archive the man's roles.  He can get them back, but do pull him aside.  I owned a venue myself, so that's what I'd have done.

Edited by Jacob
  • Agree 4

At least I am comfortable knowing we aren't doing anything rash. We are all really put out by this.

To be honest though the second instance(the really strange? Because it was a thread meant to involve three characters: Dude's, Member's, and Staffer's(the person he blew up on). Member posted, then Dude posted and apparently Member was waiting on Staffer. Dude took it upon himself to be offended on their behalf, Member was even older and very loyal person to our site. So the only one with a problem was Dude (and it had only been a few days since Dude replied to that thread) because Staffer sure didn't hear anything from Member. Man i hope that makes sense. 

Thank you both of you. 

Anonymous poster hash: 332f8...f16

I see just an accute miscommunication going sour, from both sides. And I agree with archiving the inactive person's characters, maybe after reaching once more in a communication attempt.

• Agree 3

• Admin

My thoughts:

WOpf0Sf.gif

*This is for the member not the staff.

I would explain more but I've been that member before and to be honest, once the staff has burned you, you don't want to be there anymore. The most polite way to go away is to ghost.

• Like 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I've seen this behavior and what I did in the past was just offer up some side rps for them. RP is finicky - people reply at their own paces according to their own muses. You can't enforce rules like order or whatever. So when they're feeling impatient, suggest some outlets for that frustration. Your site doesn't have to be their only site. If they've got the muse and the time for more, then give them more! That's what I use affiliates for - and why I can be a stickler for active affiliates with good content/communities. Because that's where I push my members to go when my site isn't doing it for them. When you direct them to another site, it's not to replace yours, it's just to give them a new group of people to write with that are going at a different pace. So that should fill up their free time between posts on your site.

All that said though, your member is being super touchy about dumb stuff. I'd archive his chars and move on. But my advice above is something to keep in mind for next time this happens. Because trust me, it will. 

• Like 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon