Playing a campaign as play-by-post or in a chat

Gota

So, our site is kinda big when it comes to features. We have hubs that can play in different countries (there's only one at the beginning, though) and which are the usual play-by-post like all of us should be used to. We also have an IC social network that runs on an actual sn software and can be used by characters only.
We also have campaigns which are kinda similar to stuff like DnD. You know, finite, there is a goal and some mechanics. We didn't use hard stats but rather talents to keep things a bit simpler, like if you have a high talent level in persuasion you can persuade others more easily.
So now I'm wondering how we should play campaigns out. Either with play-by-post or we use Discord. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, like how play-by-post feels more comfortable, allows you to have a character avatar (I doubt anybody is going to chance their Discord avatar just for this - I wouldn't) and it's easier to find old postings while Discord is faster, makes it easier to have a group session (since a campaign kinda requires everyone to be there), we have more variety and can attract more different types of players, and it makes my work as GM a bit easier since I can quickly post results. So, what do you think would be better? And would the fact that we have different types of RP scare players off? (Which doesn't make much sense since you could just join the one you like and ignore the others)

2055148134_EOHbanner.png.530f7a6856f7b2fd0b4861da17014318.png

I am in favour of play-by-post. And even a campaign means the characters have to be all there, not the writers in the same time. They can write when they have time.

I don't like improvisations and hurrying. I need time to research, to think, to write and to look for words in the dictionary. I want only play-by-post.

Personally, I would prefer play-by-post. I have tried playing (not running) chat-based campaigns a few times, and it often got derailed because one person who should have been there wasn't, and everyone had to stay there and wait for them to show up if they did at all. Play-by-post makes it for a less expedite scene, but it makes sure everyone can be there on their own time (gotta consider different real life schedules and time zones there too). If you need to have an order or cycle, you can establish one to make sure everyone gets to post and nobody gets left behind.

But, as with most things roleplay, there's never a cut-and-dry right answer, so I'd advise polling your existing group whenever you're planning a campaign and seeing what works for everyone.

• Agree 1

Shady McShaderson

I dunno. I feel like a campaign won't really go anywhere if each player takes too long and if the heat of the moment is gone in some situations where it makes the situation better.

Doesn't have to be too long. If your players can post once a day, having it by forum would still move fast but not have everyone be stuck if someone couldn't show up at the same time as everyone else. But like I said, that's something that needs to be checked with the people who will be participating. If everyone can be reliably present at the same time, this would be a non-issue.

• Agree 2

Shady McShaderson

Yeah, makes sense. Now the problem is that we don't have members so I can't really ask them since they don't exist.

That's definitely a complicating factor. In that case, I'd consider creating a small play-by-post campaign with a few set roles and put out some character requests/wanted ads, or invite some people you know who'd be into it, just so people can get acquainted with the world first, and then go from there. Maybe once you get members and they're more comfortable with your setting, it'll be easier to set real-time sessions. Just a suggestion, I'm by no means an expert on anything.

• Agree 1

Shady McShaderson

You....COULD possibly do a Discord Only campaign, but you would have to treat is as a typical DnD or Pathfinder session and block out a set time and day for everyone to be on together. 

• Agree 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

There is no reason you can't do both. They both have their pros and cons, so they both have their time and place. Or you could do a few of each to see what fits your goals/site/members best. Good luck!

• Agree 2

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

What about if you did the "normal" threads and set-up/slowburn plotty stuff on the forum, but did special events Discord Style? Then you could basically just, copy/paste the Discord Session into a post on a special board set up (Like...Event Archives or something) for others to read who didn't get to participate. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Food for thought, but if you make a major feature of your board available on Discord only, you're going to be losing out on those users who don't have Discord!

• Agree 1

IKiE2z.png

I'll just wait until there are enough people that have joined the campaign and then ask them what they prefer.

• Like 1