Thoughts on my hollow knight/bug's life inspired rpg

fruity20

given the chance, would you play it?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys, So recently, I've been thinking of making an rpg where you play as humanoid bugs. Thing is, the site's genres felt restrictive and i didn't knew where it fit. 

So here's a general premise or idea of it: 

In a hidden world beneath the prying eyes of man, Is place where spirits run while and only the fittest survive. but to human eyes, these beings are seen as the everyday butterfly, spider, or bee. In their eyes, their warriors, shamans, and champions...

it's a work in progress. one thing to note about the setting is that it has this tribal feel to it. ya got your tattoos and war paint and what not with magic being more animistic or spirit based in nature. one major part of the setting is the great yonder, the spirit world that overlaps with the material realm. it's the very place hwere shamsn find spirits to bond with. 

here's a few pics so far:

molly.thumb.png.cbbe8cee470f54b962c731bd4fbddfc9.png

hopaki.thumb.png.46c4177738e125b4d9a75c84e5d30ba4.pngshaman1.thumb.png.949950330b649d25eb2a4db04c26b5d7.png1729639332_thegrandtree.thumb.png.d3a027115ae5efbda1a972ff17ab46a5.pngmoth.thumb.png.6d17a45499d0a9d464034abebaec6602.pngbee.png.cacecd761041a3409f52c4a2379a3587.pngaranchi.thumb.png.e778e93bc84ee5d14eeed36d79bf25d3.pngmask.thumb.png.89f76b33586fabbf00e6103896da1a6e.png1404377755_thethreeoracles.thumb.png.b454c5eaec1012b25f35ad50c1db5d8b.png1382503462_treevillagesketch.thumb.png.21fb6700ab62c43bf11265f1ccf0d951.png1771448734_roseredone.thumb.png.6f86b65b6517e97c32fd065d76f32b2a.pngceherah.thumb.png.a2a68a116209cd52fca425db6055203a.pngpaplio.thumb.png.df9291b89739897f075159d03e9cf867.pngmoth1.thumb.png.43a6ce452cbb272f7f18fac62917e3d3.pngmorpho.thumb.png.75a8e385b6a557fdb85899442e650c08.png

note: settings name is Ookraia btw.

double note: i did all of these pictures. 

• Love 1

I'd be pretty interested in this, to be honest. I don't think I've ever seen something like this before. Although, if you were going to use avatars on the site, I'd ask what kind of images would be allowed? As I'm sure that human faces wouldn't really work, and not everybody has drawing skills like that. Seriously, though, those are some really awesome drawings and I'm impressed. 

thanks. honestly, bug pictures would be a good compromise. if all else fails, i have a backup rpg idea that's more human centirc. 

It's a really cute idea. Not one that's in my normal comfort zone admittedly, but REALLY SUPER CUTE AND ORIGINAL. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

This is a great and unique idea that I think you should totally go for. It seems like you might be going for a more "lighter / funner" feeling rather than the gloominess of Hollow Knight (which I still enjoy obviously). There's also quite a bit you can do with a tribal theme and using environments we see as small, but the bug-people will see as huge.

banner-01-88x31.jpg
Khyeras: an original fantasy RPG.

"I keep wanting to write 'dwarves' as 'drawers'."

"Land of the Drawers... we call it... Ikea."

I was gonna ask what tone you were going for because A Bug's Life and Hollow Knight are completely different, tonally. I get the same impression as @memoria, this seems like you're aiming for something that's closer to A Bug's Life than Hollow Knight.

Personally, I find an RP inspired by Hollow Knight more interesting than A Bug's Life, but I do love eldritchy stuff.

If you're uber excited, you should definitely stick to your vision! I'm sure that there will be a market for something like this, particularly with the kind of creativity that it should encourage. 

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

8 hours ago, Kit the Human said:

I was gonna ask what tone you were going for because A Bug's Life and Hollow Knight are completely different, tonally. I get the same impression as @memoria, this seems like you're aiming for something that's closer to A Bug's Life than Hollow Knight.

Personally, I find an RP inspired by Hollow Knight more interesting than A Bug's Life, but I do love eldritchy stuff.

If you're uber excited, you should definitely stick to your vision! I'm sure that there will be a market for something like this, particularly with the kind of creativity that it should encourage. 

a lot of people were comparing my ip to hollow knight so it sticked. don't be deceived by the art style, though, i'm working on doing more darker images as the tone is "noble dark" in tone. so a bit of a gray area.  it's by no means a comedy but it's much more than that. I wished i chose better pictures to set the tone honestly ^^.

disclaimaer: i barely played hollow knight. i just seen the game and some reviews of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this forum discussion is dead but where does my rpg fit in? Most of the categories don't feel satisfactory to be honest. I know pigeonholing isn't a good thing but genre helps get a basic idea of the setting.

• 5 weeks later...

I just want to pop in here to say that the art is quite compelling. By description only I wouldn't be drawn to this theme, but the visuals add an important something extra. The art reminds me of the various sorts of adoptables out there to be honest, (which might be a way to campaign for interest). It also reminds me of something I might find in a graphic novel or webcomic.

as for classifying your rp, it definitely seems difficult given the available categories on the initiative. I think you can put in requests for genre, but for now animals(other) supernatural, or maybe Gods and Deities, given the spiritual aspect of the theme,  might be ways to go. I think for you the real descriptors might be in tags, things like anthropomorphic, Insect,  and tribal. On rpg-directory or other directory sites, you'd have to look at their listings to decide where might fit. Some have a other rpgs classifications for those sites that really don't fit in any existing ones.

Edited by Kazetatsu

• 9 months later...

I'd lean more toward something in the fantasy variety if I were to label your theme or genre? You could always put in a request for a little more assistance, though!