Fun Autumn-Halloween Events / Challenges for Site?

ChrisOwl

Happy September! (Yay the start of my favorite month!)... as autumn approaches, and also the 1 year anniversary of my own site, I'm trying to come up with an idea for an event or two to celebrate and involve as many of our characters/writers as possible. I've noticed that our "in character" group threads/events tend to get more participation and completion than our AU events. So while AU is easier to include everyone, it might be a bit more fun to do a few separate in character threads in different locations.

We are a LOTR site so any 'medievaly' ideas would work... granted I would also love to hear ideas across the board of what other types/genres are doing 😄 .

For us so far, a 'masquarade ball' comes to mind maybe for elves or Dol Amroth... a couple of our locations could do something like that. Maybe some creepy giant spider thread in Mirkwood, or ghost of the Dimholt sighting in Rohan. If we'd had more hobbit characters at the moment I thought it would be funny to do a "clue" style 'who stole the pumpkin' thread... unfortunately, maybe we'll tuck that idea away for next year lol.

Then there are those challenges where given a wordlist to use. Maybe an autumny word list. Or a Halloween one? Or both. I don't know, does anyone else have any ideas! I need to get on top of thinking about it so I can announce that something is coming around mid month and get people excited lol.

We don't have a points system so I don't know what I'd do for people who participate. Maybe a tiny little badge for their bio? We haven't done anything like yet but I was thinking it could be fun for those people who have been with us since the first couple months to get something like that. But maybe participators could get a little badge too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the characters on your site are rather spread out as to ic location, so small location specific events might be a way to go. players could choose the ones which make most sense for their characters to be a part of.

oocly I've often done scavenger hunts, hiding clues or images in posts user profiles, guides and so on. Members have to actively search the site, or do certain tasks to find them all. Often what I hide holds nods to past events or clues to future ones.

an ic thing might be a mystery of sorts. a 'haunted item' appearing, or someone getting killed or something going missing. characters in a location might have to work together if they wanted to solve it.

As for prizes. Badges are often popular, so can be shout outs (spotlight the winners, or their threads), free art, earn-able titles both silly and plot relevant, or premium/limited classes/species/items/abilities,

• Like 1

Those are all really cute ideas. Maybe have the opportunity to ghosts to pop up in threads started during the month?  

We do our annual Danger!event during this time of year. It varies each year.

• Like 1

I've run Halloween-themed writing prompts and AU threads before, if that's the sort of thing your people are into.

• Like 1

Glub glub.

I've done a trick-or-treat thread roulette. Where not only is it regular thread roulette style, but each thread gets assigned the "trick" prompt or "treat" prompt. That was fun.

A haunted house could be fun too. I've been part of a "Betrayal at House on the Hill" style event too. Where characters in a thread have an objective, but one character is randomly and secretly selected to betray the other characters and cause a ruckus. Kind of like Mafia or Clue.

• Like 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Random Ghostings are always a good idea. Especially if you can make them a Headless Horseman type "local legend" event. 

I did a "clue" type Murder Mystery event once myself. It was a lot of fun, but it only works if each of the players are super-committed to the plot. 

• Like 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Our halloween event consists of three parts. Mostly to give everyone something to do. 🙂

• Main event is our festival hosted by a member-created circus group. 
  • Sub event is something we started the other month and that is Character Roulette. The next round coming up will be halloween themed. In a way this is AU in terms of throwing characters that may have never interacted together in one thread. 
  • And lastly something fun for everyone, a scavenger hunt on the site. I've hidden 31 pumpkins on the site for everyone to find. There is an award for finding them all. 

More or less, we went a route that didn't require a whole lot of work form the staff.

• Like 2

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! ❤️

We just started an autumn masquerade for our old elves, and I have plans for more of a comedy pumpkin donkey cart related incident with our humans which I'll stagger in later in October because most of our members have characters in both areas and will probably want to join both. Also put sign up for a character roulette and everyone who has been around awhile has put a character or three on the list for it so far, people are excited so I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes when we start it next week... 😄 Even some new members put down which I'm super excited about to get them involved right away. Thanks for the suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry late to the convo - but I do a halloween special each year - we've had ghostly pirates who were seeking treasure in a tomb and undead chickens. The sillier the better. This year, I'm going to make it last a little longer than usual, and it's going to end with a bit of a Christmas theme - sort of "the nightmare before Christmas" sort of thing.

• Like 1

SigBann01.png.f26cc6143015c1ca5b2b89f492ba6f89.png

I LOVE Halloween events! There's so many things you can do! It even depends on how like, in-depth you want to get really - for a LOTR style site, a great sort of thing could be to make a festival around the autumnal equinox and have a great time with that IC! BUT there's so many options, some things I'm doing on my site this year (which is a completely different genre admittedly), we're taking it really easy so there's no sitewide IC event -

1.) Letting everyone share costumes for their characters (and when we get closer, everyone OOCly)

2.) Setting up a rabbit to watch Halloween music videos

3.) A thread for everyone to write up Halloween-based AUs

4.) A sign up thread that's going to culminate in a game for us all, based on the video for the site's namesake. This one's super fun because one of our members had actually started an IC musical we could take under for it just a few weeks before unveiling the event, so everyone's really invested in getting to solve a mystery for Halloween!

• Like 2

ac2204b883ba2b2c3b93079f6c58144be0db842f
Be a Part of the Story
Discord
NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS FROM NON-ANIMATED FANDOMS

Halloween events are some of my favorite events, to be honest. My fellow admins and I for my site decided to do a haunted house event. Basically, a new level of the house unlocks twice a week. Then at the end is a haunted ball. There is also a costume contest that the winner earns our site currency Galleons. October I have found in past experience October is a slow month for posting so these sort of events tend to help. Plus I really like getting spooky! 🎃

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara