Getting Started

Anonymous

So, I got my new board up and running, did a lot of advertising and added a few affiliates. Got listed in the directories etc. And more people joined than I expected. Which is fantastic. A load of canon characters taken and approved but, since then, not much. I've posted a load of starters for people, but very few people are responding. People began plotting, but it soon petered out. A few haven't been online in the Discord since they got their characters approved (in some cases, almost a month ago). I feel like the board has died at birth. So, how do I encourage people to be active and post, without sounding like I'm hounding people? 

Anonymous poster hash: 74536...6ea

Simple. You post. Post with between your characters, with NPCs, with the few players who are posting if any are. Keep advertising. Cut dead weight if people aren't meeting activity rules so canons can be free for someone who will actually use them. Keep advertising. Keep having fun. The rest will come and if it doesn't, then you're still having fun. But new people are faaaaar less likely to join if they don't see people enjoying the setting.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

Back in the day, people trended to what was new and shiny and bounced from concept to concept like wildfire - especially through mutual member bases and shared staff across boards.  Many people would also be on like 6 sites at the same time. So once a site opened, there was ALWAYS going to be 4-5 people joining upon launch.

Nowadays, people seem to want 1 or 2 "home" boards, and it's a contest of who can trudge along the longest before giving up and closing shop that 'wins' the day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm having a bit of trouble starting up my rp as well. It's mostly putting in the world info and that kind of stuff. And there's just. so. much. information!

High functioning autistic

Anime lover

Aspiring artist

I agree with @Brie Post. Post like you are okay writing with yourself. We've all done it. I am blessed to have a co-admin with whom I could write 100001 stories and never give a hoot if anyone else joined our board. And we do. We post. We post like we are A OKAY with being the only ones there. If there's enough traction to draw people in, you'll find a core group that will stay. 

Just be sure to:
A) Respect your players, because the ones that stick around are going to be your golden gooses!
B) Respect your staff, especially if they do most of the work.
C) Listen to critiques, because NO ONE is perfect. If you can't change anything because its "MY GAME" then you'll find yourself alone at the end of the day.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

The past is a place of reference, not residence.

On 6/20/2019 at 6:53 PM, Libby said:

I agree with @Brie Post. Post like you are okay writing with yourself. We've all done it. I am blessed to have a co-admin with whom I could write 100001 stories and never give a hoot if anyone else joined our board. And we do. We post. We post like we are A OKAY with being the only ones there. If there's enough traction to draw people in, you'll find a core group that will stay. 

Just be sure to:
A) Respect your players, because the ones that stick around are going to be your golden gooses!
B) Respect your staff, especially if they do most of the work.
C) Listen to critiques, because NO ONE is perfect. If you can't change anything because its "MY GAME" then you'll find yourself alone at the end of the day.

This honestly all of this. If you are enjoying things so will members, make them feel welcome. Get rid of those who are clearly MIA and just dont give up. Its hard, iv heard sometimes it can take six months or more to find you feet. 

user posted image