Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThriftStoreTeeth

Sell Me on Your Software

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, memoria said:

• Profile Field Puller Thing. You can only display custom profile fields on topics, member listing, member pages. registration, and UCP edit profile areas. I've done a bit of custom work to pull the custom profile field data and display them on other areas though. So, it is possible, just requires work. @Muse Also uses phpBB and might have an idea on how to do this as they also have a character listing of sorts.

Hello! I currently have custom hand-coded a Character Profile HTML page that is updated via a Google Sheet (that keeps track of all our players/characters/activity and is updated by hand by my mod team) and Pearl script, so, uh, I have yet to find or pay for a custom extension that does this. Theoretically, it's probably possible, but we have an application/approval process for my forum and character  sheets that aren't built into the User Profile (unlike @memoria's lovely Khy'eras profile/CS), so I'm not pulling anything from anywhere already built into the software.

But, if I was more skilled as a coder, I'm sure it's not impossible. I'll be honest, @memoriais a much better phpBB coder than I'll ever be (her site is beautiful!). Mine is a heavily customized theme (Milk v2). 

I have, admittedly, never loved jcink but I know folks who will die on that hill. I like the flexibility of phpBB and while the community isn't always positive or immediately responsive, I have definitely met some folks  who are helpful and willing to assist with customizations. I'm a web designer for a living, already pay for my own hosting service, and find the installation/updating/maintenance of a phpBB site to be super easy (on par with a Wordpress site, imo). 

Edited by Muse
Added a link.

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

@Muse  That sounds pretty clever, actually! The level of fancy scripting people here are capable of is absolutely insane to me. For the puller thing specifically, I do know that it is possible, but anything beyond straight HTML/CSS and tweaking jQuery scripts I find on Stack Overflow is well beyond my knowledge base at this point. I've seen AJAX codes for it to get around Jcink's convoluted variables system (that I'm pretty sure are just masked php includes or something along those lines).

I'm not really for or against any particular platform at the moment. Jcink just happened to be the first platform I found that had a quick set up time/low barrier for entry, which was necessary at the time. I'm not too concerned with the vibe of a community (I used to hang out on /b/ as an edgy teen. Anons aren't nice lol), so long as the response isn't "no, now kindly piss off", but I am nervous about having to deal with non-HTML/CSS files. I know I can host through RPG-I and I can get someone who knows what they're doing to install it for me, but mucking around in other files... kind of terrifies me. Is there much of that with phpBB (either for updating/maintaining, or doing admin or design stuff), or is it more a case of just replacing a few files here and there? (Feel like I already asked about that, so I'm going to blame a lack of sleep making me derpy if I did)

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

21 hours ago, ThriftStoreTeeth said:

@Arceus No worries on the admin panel! I'll definitely be signing up and checking it out! 

@Arceushad me sold too, I can't wait to transition and try it for myself. I even bought a domain. 😄

• Preach it! 1

18 hours ago, ThriftStoreTeeth said:

@Muse  That sounds pretty clever, actually! The level of fancy scripting people here are capable of is absolutely insane to me. For the puller thing specifically, I do know that it is possible, but anything beyond straight HTML/CSS and tweaking jQuery scripts I find on Stack Overflow is well beyond my knowledge base at this point. I've seen AJAX codes for it to get around Jcink's convoluted variables system (that I'm pretty sure are just masked php includes or something along those lines).

I'm very much in this boat—if I can't find a tutorial on it on CodePen or figure out the process through W3CSchools, I probably won't attempt it. I'm not at a level of comfort with PHP or phpBB quite yet that I feel confident in my ability to make more than surface-level modifications, but maybe one day! 

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

I can say after YEARS of using phpBB I was very satisfied with it as long as there was not an update. Updates come frequently, as it's open source, and it can indeed break your work. Self hosting just about every forum software out there over the last 20 years I am going to say, with a level of bias here: Your free option is phpBB. Everyone can boast about others, but phpBB was the direct competitor to VBulletin back when VB was good. phpBB is still here, and being actively developed open source. That right there is reason enough to learn it.

My favorite paid option is this software right here. Invision. It has a hefty price tag and took me a while to save the money to get it, but as most admin will tell you, it is so flexible you can do literally anything you want with it. As we speak, today, I am in the process of making it work as a search index site(about 50% done) like wowhead for world of warcraft. Invision can do that. So my recommendation here is going to be, instead of letting us sell you an idea, you should just play with everything and see how it fits.