Supernatural (Fandom) RPG | Interest Check/Feedback

Tyrone

Hey all, 

So I’m planning on starting a site based off the tv show Supernatural, but I wanted some input in to the plot people would be most interested in seeing. I’m heavily leaning towards something during the earlier seasons because s1-5 were honestly the show at its best IMO. 

So far I’ve decided on the following: 

Name: Devil’s Trap
Rating: 3-3-3 18+ members only 
Forum Software: Vesta/Gaia

At the moment I’m mulling over three potential set ups. I’m gonna list them from most excited about down.

1) A modern day reboot of the show. So the year is 2020 Sam is living in Stanford with Jess and their main parent figure has just gone missing. The basic plot would be the same, but as a reboot everything else would be up to change so different models to suit the modern settings, male characters could now be female and vice versa, white characters could be POC and vice versa. It’s the world of Supernatural with the doors completely open to people playing the characters how they’d like. 

2) A more faithful AU of season one rather than a reboot so the year would be 2005, J2 as Sam and Dean etc. There would be some time travel drama at play to change events and steer the board away from what happened on the show e.g. Jess survived and Sam stays in Stanford for longer or Jess joins them on the road for a while only to get killed six months down the line or break up with Sam. 

3) If a season one role-play doesn’t appeal to anyone then something based during the time of the apocalypse. The seals are breaking and all hands are needed on deck to keep Lucifer in his cage.

If you’re a fan of the show but can’t join due to a lack of time or interest in joining a new site right now I’d still love to hear your opinion on which scenario, if any, you like best 

Edited by Tyrone

Hey!

Although I might not be your intended target group as Supernatural is not my preferred fandom for a board, I just wanted to say - I like the idea of the modern day reboot, as it gives a new edge to the story...

My personal problem with SPN boards has always been the focus on our three boys and everyone else is more or less a sidecharacter by default (which is not always bad as it gives room for personal touches), but that has been my main reason for never joing one myself... of course, these are just personal impressions and maybe on english boards, the fandom is a bit bigger and therefore has more potential for bringing in good plot ideas for all characters

I just wanted to share my thoughts on that, so you can maybe also attract more sceptical users like me with your idea

P.S. your third option sounds interesting, but if i read it in a storyline, i'd probably skip the forum because of the above-mentioned things,... however, since they are hunters, you could think of a kind of treasure hunt for all users/characters in the board? items to help containing Lucifer? finding certain artefacts, unlocking secrets...?

no, thank you.

Mrs Carter Beyonce GIF

So, I honestly would be interested in a Supernatural roleplay presently, but much like the.void, my concern would be how to spread the focus so it’s not all on the Winchester boys. Obviously there’s plenty of room in the universe for other hunters, and I personally prefer to play OCs.

I am also partial to the second idea the most. I forgot to acknowledge that. 

13 minutes ago, Grimscythe said:

So, I honestly would be interested in a Supernatural roleplay presently, but much like the.void, my concern would be how to spread the focus so it’s not all on the Winchester boys. Obviously there’s plenty of room in the universe for other hunters, and I personally prefer to play OCs.

I am also partial to the second idea the most. I forgot to acknowledge that. 

If I went for the season one idea (reboot or more faithful AU) my plan would be to focus on the special kids and the drama randomers getting unexpected gifts could cause. The Winchester siblings search for their father could still be a thing, but it’d be a sub-plot for those specific characters rather than the main narrative focus of the board. Placing the focus on the psychic kids would provide opportunities for canon and original psychic kids, humans and demons. 

I’d also develop non canon sub plots to provide greater opportunities for characters outside those groups to play as well. 

Angels would likely be a closed member group to begin with and then opened as further plot developments demand their presence. 

6 hours ago, the.void said:

Hey!

Although I might not be your intended target group as Supernatural is not my preferred fandom for a board, I just wanted to say - I like the idea of the modern day reboot, as it gives a new edge to the story...

My personal problem with SPN boards has always been the focus on our three boys and everyone else is more or less a sidecharacter by default (which is not always bad as it gives room for personal touches), but that has been my main reason for never joing one myself... of course, these are just personal impressions and maybe on english boards, the fandom is a bit bigger and therefore has more potential for bringing in good plot ideas for all characters

I just wanted to share my thoughts on that, so you can maybe also attract more sceptical users like me with your idea

P.S. your third option sounds interesting, but if i read it in a storyline, i'd probably skip the forum because of the above-mentioned things,... however, since they are hunters, you could think of a kind of treasure hunt for all users/characters in the board? items to help containing Lucifer? finding certain artefacts, unlocking secrets...?

Thanks for the post and that’s a good point about the third option. Personally, if I went down that route (or even made a s1 board that headed in that direction) is likely tweak the lore so stuff like the breaking of the first and last seal would be down to a larger group than the individual actions of Sam and Dean.

• Love 1

Neat! I’ve followed the thread so I can watch the conversation. Implementing those types of elements could definitely help make the story feel more accessible to non-canon characters, which I also like.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:37 AM, Grimscythe said:

Neat! I’ve followed the thread so I can watch the conversation. Implementing those types of elements could definitely help make the story feel more accessible to non-canon characters, which I also like.

Awesome! A lot of concern here and on another site I posted on seems related to the inclusiveness of non Winchester’s character so im going to keep that in mind during development. 

I think im going to structure it like 

Main Plot 

-  Focus on psychics and the attention they’re getting from both hunters and normal folks. 

- More and more demons walk the earth and a war is brewing. 

Sub Plot 1

The Winchester’s. 

More sub sub plots will be added later, but I think I’ll keep it to those two for now because I’m weary of falling into the other trap mentioned; setting up too much all at once and the board becomes very fragmented limiting thread opportunities. 

I’ve went through the posts in this thread and another I posted elsewhere and there were an equal number of votes for a reboot or more faithful AU. So I am going to follow my gut instinct and go for the reboot since it’s something I haven’t seen done before. 

I have managed to figure out enough of Vesta to add a banner and tweak the CSS to suit my needs resulting in say 50% of a theme being complete! So development is coming along nicely. 

If anyone is interested in joining before the official opening or even hearing more detail please PM me. If anyone has further suggestions / potential concerns please reply to this thread, as I’d love to hear them.

I am struggling a bit with the suggested models for the boards Sam and Dean. What actor or model in their early to mid twenties would you cast for Sam? And mid to late twenties for Dean? Allowing for the fact some people can look quite young for their age, and actual tv shows can have similar age differences between character and actor, I’d be interested in suggestions up to 30 for Sam and 32/33 for Dean. 

At the moment I was considering sticking to the show and going for Dylan Everett for Dean! He was great at channeling the character during his appearances and the actor would be the right age for the character now. 

Meanwhile I was thinking Tom Holland (has that nerdy but surprisingly buff vibe going for him) or possibly Dylan Minette. 

But I don’t know. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Interesting choice. At the beginning of Supernatural, Dean is 26 and Sam is 22. So theoretically, you could still use J2 if you wished and use images and gifs from season one for them. 

That’s definitely an option! Although in keeping with the whole modern day reboot theme for the board I’d rather try and find a model and/or actor who is currently within the characters age group 🙂 . 

One sad thing is the brothers likely won’t be as tall. I can’t seem to find many 6 foot plus actors in their twenties from google searches.  

After days of searching and not being able to find that perfect someone for new Sam I’ve decided I’m just gonna use Jared and s1 era pics for Sam. This means when the site opens it’ll be up to the player whether they want to reimagine the character with someone new, or stick to the original actor/actress from the show. Thought I’d post that here in case it has an impact on people’s interest in joining 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like 1 or 2 are the better options there, with 2 being my personal preference. 3 isn't bad, per say, but there are so many apocalyptic roleplay sites out there that it might just get swept away from over-saturation. 2 in particular will probably play more to the nostalgia factor from earlier seasons.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this as some stuff offline came up and I had to pause the development of this site!

I'm back now and hoping to be open within the next week or two since I had the bulk of it done! We're also open to early memberships if anyones interested in joining and helping me with testing out the site functions and getting some threading done prior to the main opening.