Temper Tantrums

Seniah

So as an admin or mod you have someone who joins your site and they create a profile that has NOTHING to do with the species they picked, you ask them to change their bio and afterwards they throw a fit like a child. How have you as an Admin or mod handle this kind of a situation any recommendations. I personally feel that person should be removed as they are bringing down the whole chat room when they are on now, posting things totally out there trying to be very attention seeking like the admin team was wrong to ask them to change.

I feel like my responses can, at times, be a bit harsh: but I'd consider this blatant spam tbh. Especially if they react that way after being warned. It's one thing to ask questions and be confused, it's another to be angry and question what the staff say out of spite.

In D&D, there's a saying: What the DM says goes. Most (good) D&D players tend to follow that logic whether they agree or not, since the DM spent weeks or possibly a whole month crafting the world we (the players) are having fun in. I carry that logic with me into forums. If the idea doesn't fit, it just doesn't fit. Throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks, you know?

Anything else is just disruption.

One more disregarded warning and they're banned.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hysteria said:

I feel like my responses can, at times, be a bit harsh: but I'd consider this blatant spam tbh. Especially if they react that way after being warned. It's one thing to ask questions and be confused, it's another to be angry and question what the staff say out of spite.

In D&D, there's a saying: What the DM says goes. Most (good) D&D players tend to follow that logic whether they agree or not, since the DM spent weeks or possibly a whole month crafting the world we (the players) are having fun in. I carry that logic with me into forums. If the idea doesn't fit, it just doesn't fit. Throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks, you know?

Anything else is just disruption.

One more disregarded warning and they're banned.

Yes I get what you are saying when the person was asked to change the character the response was the don’t conform or “fit in” my thoughts were you join an rp site that has set lore your character needs to fit within these limits.

• Cheers 1

Hello

This has happened a few times. Me personally I think our lore is fairly easy to locate, we are pretty open to listen to variances on our lore -if it fits- and while I get trying to help them work it out- some people want what they want and that leads to 'suggesting' they find a forum that fits with their model of what they want and the situations they are looking for. There is no crime in doing that, nor removing them from Discord if it becomes problematic.

'this is our playground and we are the monitors. its our burden at times to make sure the playground does not have dog shyte or drama or whatever. So that being said- I would say removal is not harsh'

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

• Operations Mod

I've been roleplaying for twenty years. At this point, I'm liberal with the ban hammer when it comes to folks like this. 

Let's be dead honest here, anyone who is going to throw a fit over being made to follow specs (knowing what those were when they chose to join) is going to be a problem elsewhere. Why even give them a chance to smear their bullshit all over the site? You're the one that's going to have to waste time and energy mopping it up. They're clearly not there to be a team player. They made it clear they are not there to be a team player. Take them at their word/actions, and save yourself the trouble. 

It's completely fine to reach out and ask for an exception or an adjustment - so long as one humbly accepts it when the answer is "no".  If they can't do that, they don't belong on the site. 

• Like 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

On 5/24/2021 at 6:48 PM, Dragon said:

I've been roleplaying for twenty years. At this point, I'm liberal with the ban hammer when it comes to folks like this. 

Let's be dead honest here, anyone who is going to throw a fit over being made to follow specs (knowing what those were when they chose to join) is going to be a problem elsewhere. Why even give them a chance to smear their bullshit all over the site? You're the one that's going to have to waste time and energy mopping it up. They're clearly not there to be a team player. They made it clear they are not there to be a team player. Take them at their word/actions, and save yourself the trouble. 

It's completely fine to reach out and ask for an exception or an adjustment - so long as one humbly accepts it when the answer is "no".  If they can't do that, they don't belong on the site. 

I pretty much agree with everything listed here.

We try to help people throughout the application process and we're always willing to answer questions, etc. but now that everything is rather streamlined on site, if you're making basic mistakes (or not asking for clarification) and then throw a fit when we ask you to edit something, that's on you now. You knew what you were getting into when you signed up and decided to join.

There was a member we had like this recently who, had they not left of their own accord would have simply been banned and removed. They took a wanted ad, ignored everything about the wanted ad, ignored everything about the lore for the species, and wrote nothing in the application (I think the history amounted to a paragraph that said nothing about who they were) then were surprised when we asked them to edit it.

I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes you've just got to say 'thanks but no thanks'.

Edited by NyxDarklore

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

Thank you all for all the feedback!

You will find that your sanity and the health of your community will absolutely benefit from quickly identifying problematic individuals, and then removing them.  ❤️ 

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your help!

Highly agreeing with Dragon and Nyx here. If anything, try to compromise or offer alternatives, but if they don't wish to follow the rules, that is on them. As an admin, you have to learn when to put your foot down for your community and the betterment of your own site. 

owner of some website ❤️

As a Admin myself there are times where the battle can be a losing one.. There are times where tantrums can get SO out of hand for no reason and the member will either ignore you or leave but there are the few who will listen after throwing a tantrum but a bone will have to be thrown... Frankly if they leave they leave, you can't make everyone happy at the end of the day they have to respect YOU'RE in charge not them.. Try talking to said person and seeing if an understanding can be met if not.. You might as well wash your hands of them because the headaches are not worth it sweet heart

elizabeth olsen marvel GIF

On 7/2/2021 at 4:03 PM, Jamester said:

As a Admin myself there are times where the battle can be a losing one.. There are times where tantrums can get SO out of hand for no reason and the member will either ignore you or leave but there are the few who will listen after throwing a tantrum but a bone will have to be thrown... Frankly if they leave they leave, you can't make everyone happy at the end of the day they have to respect YOU'RE in charge not them.. Try talking to said person and seeing if an understanding can be met if not.. You might as well wash your hands of them because the headaches are not worth it sweet heart

I partially agree here? I don't agree with washing your hands and moving on, but definitely agreeing to talk to them and try to understand or compromise. Sometimes it's better to take a loss and move on, rather than caving to something you do not see within your site's vision. 

owner of some website ❤️