Rules people break that make you facepalm...

Morrigan

I have done that Wicked, even redesigned parts of the site just to keep someone that I felt was valuable... the annoying part is that they left soon afterwards.

My biggest facepalm is when it comes to character knowledge and character reputation.  I have dealt with too many characters who feel that their character is so important that they can talk down to their character's superiors or have knowledge that wasn't available to that character.  You don't just "know things" or "feel your character would surmise that".

• I read this! 5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The really obvious ones like 'post your app as a separate thread in X area'.

I've had people reply to the character app thread, post in a completely different area, etc. If you think there's no way it can happen, think again! :P

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 2

I think the main problem is when people try to question a rule you have on your board, as if they are some special case where an exception must be made, or that the rules should be rewritten to accommodate them.

• I read this! 5
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always up for feedback and suggestions when the person has been thoughtful about it. Additionally, if  it's something they think would improve the site not only for them, but everyone else.

What really peeves me is when someone wants a rule changed just for their own needs. On GAM we've tried to keep the rules very basic, most of the rules have been add ons. We recently rewrote them because all of the add ons had made it messy.

I'm not changing a huge rule to fit the needs of one player that would affect the rest of the members. I've tried to come up with compromises. We have face claims, a couple of members prefer using comic images, I allow them to use only comic images for their avatar, but to pick a face claim for the list. I thought it was fair. A newer member didn't, when I politely mentioned a sister site, same genre and no face claims, there response was "It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable enough to leave." The new member picked up a popular canon character and left a month later. It's usually a red flag for me when someone argues(I mean unrelentingly) about a rule especially when it's only for them.

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 1

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png

• 1 month later...

"I only plan on making one character, so I'm not going to bother making an OOC account."

Um. No. IC/OOC accounts are not just for you, but for the sanity of staff to be able to tell between players and characters and so we can simply contact everyone under the "player" category via PMs. This player also specifically requested I personally contact them and tell them to check their OOC account PMs whenever I mass PM players about upcoming events/updates, etc. 

Excuse me, I am not your secretary??

Anyway, I laugh at this one quite a bit because the player wound up making a second character 2 days later.

• I read this! 5
  • LOL 2

Mythic Frontier, a Weird and Wild Western RPG

A blend of Cthulhu Horror, Supernatural and the Wild Wild West.
Join the Discord!
mythicbtn.gif 

Other Interesting Sites:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFOjc0AH.

Want your Discord chat in embedded on your site? I am a developer on TitanEmbeds.
Please feel free to PM/Discord me if you need assistance!
Addy#5522

• 6 months later...

Having the same person ask every staff if they can do x, y, and z..... but it says in the rules that you can't do any of them. Then, the break the rules and wonder why they've gotten in trouble. *shakes head*

• I read this! 2

Does it count if the stupid rule is at my site?

We had a series of people come in that used IC posts to lash out at someone they were having OOC issues with because of our very strict zero tolerance policy regarding posting drama publicly. Issues happen, of course, but we will delete someone's life if they bring it up publicly. It's to be handled off site and privately - period.

So, because of these persons using their characters to stalk and harass the person they had issues with in-game and in-character so it was next to impossible to figure out what they were doing... we added the following rule.

Character Contention: Please discuss character contention with the other player(s) involved and notify Admin also. You do not have to provide details, just let everyone know that the contention has been planned. This is for your protection and ours!

So stupid!

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Cringe 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 12:34 PM, wicked said:

Not reading info topics is a very big no no for me. I don't think people understand that it's painfully obvious when they haven't taken the time to even read what your board is about or how it's run. When I'm interested in a board I make sure to read it's lure and rules so I know what's going on and if it's right for me.

All of this.  From registering incorrectly, putting the wrong information in the mini profile, and/or submitting a character that makes no sense for the setting.

When someone posted their character several months back, it was blatantly obvious in their application that they didn't read the lore. When we spoke to them about it, they even admitted they didn't read because they were in too much of a rush to get their character finished. Then, then, whined because they felt like we were picking on them with the edits we pointed out. 

..........*crickets chirping* ............

tumblr_ouyefuNGO91u2xgu1o2_500.gif

I swear, we're not going to push you to rush into this. Take your time. Read. If you still have questions or concerns and don't want to make a mistake, then come to me beautiful soul and I will answer all the questions. I will work with you on a character that you want and that fits our lore. I just need you to take that first step and read. 

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

poke_clash2.png

vPhN5b.png                      

A supernatural fantasy about spirit animals set in Somerset, Pennsylvania

We had a guy who came and tried to make a load of immortal Gods to be.

Like, why would you even try it...

• Like 1
Owner Of Convergence Wars

Are you an RP Site Admin? Add me on Discord to learn about RP Community Watch, a server full of RP Admins who chill, exchange tips, and share a watchlist of dangerous members.
Discord Name: SYRE#0420

On 10.03.2018 at 10:31 PM, SYRE said:

We had a guy who came and tried to make a load of immortal Gods to be.

Like, why would you even try it...

Worse, I had a vampire with a Russian name, from these modern series I never watch, applied on a realistic, historical 18-th century colonial site. Without any attempt at adapting her...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On 2/26/2018 at 1:02 PM, Lana Lister said:

Having the same person ask every staff if they can do x, y, and z..... but it says in the rules that you can't do any of them. Then, the break the rules and wonder why they've gotten in trouble. *shakes head*

Likewise, when someone asks every question in the FAQ. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Preach it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Registering incorrectly pretty much let’s me know I’m dealing with someone that doesn’t fancy reading. They also like to ask every question that’s already been answered in the guidebook >.< You could name your topics the most simple thing in the world but they are intent on acting oblivious. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 2

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

I always know when someone didn't read my site's info, because they join without registering an OOC account first, and - big, bold, red letters - the very first rule in our rules section is "register your OOC account first, it's mandatory." XD

• Love 3

• 2 months later...

Somehow missing a detail that's covered, in bold letters, under the rules. Which happens sometimes. Not often, but it does happen and sometimes it's three people back to back.

• Like 1

luxaf.png