How to Breathe New Life Into Old Site

Anonymous

Hello all!! So basically what the title says on the tin. My site is a year and some months old, and it's very laidback, not a whole lot of handholding going on. That being said, it makes things more character-driven (which is fine, I love character plots more than overarching plots, too), but my problem is that everything I try to do in regards to trying something new on site is met with general apathy. No one really seems to care about the events or new species or random IC events. I've tried thread roulettes before, and only had like 4 people sign up, and even then, they didn't even thread together.

This isn't a new phenomena on my site, but I noticed it's gotten to the point where there's almost NO ONE participating (and we have about 12 active members, including the 2 staff). But at the same time, I know if I don't try to keep things new and fresh, it'll just get stale and people will move on. So I'm at a crossroads. I can't run events (or whatever else) when people aren't interested, but I can't--and don't want to--just let things stagnate. I LOVE running events and trying new things and it's so disheartening when no one participates.

So I guess my question is, how do I get people excited about these things or what kinds of things should I be doing? 

Anonymous poster hash: b3899...178

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with your site or situation in the slightest, but it sounds like there might be a bit of a communication issue. You're doing things that you think will be well received but they completely flop. So ask your members what they would like to see on the site and what they haven't liked about past things! Ask your staff what they've heard from members about what they want in the future or concerns they have about the site! That should be your first move, in my opinion.

You might also have to take a step forward from your hands-off approach to get things rolling again. Maybe that type of staffing isn't a fit for your community in general. Some people do need a bit more handholding or direction, or they'll eventually stop being active. But there's a few other things you can try to shake things up and prompt people into threading again. 

Give your site a face lift. New skin, new graphics, cut down on some unused forums, maybe make one or two new ones. Changing things around a little can do a lot to get people reinvested in your site. 

Reach out to players directly with character connections and plot ideas. Tell them that you specifically want to include their character in an upcoming plot or event. Sometimes you do need to do some legwork and connect people instead of relying on your players to do it all themselves. 

Post on directories asking for site reviews and think about implementing the feedback into your site. And ask your players directly about what they like and don't like about the site. You might want to do that by creating a channel for member-admin talk, starting a discussion in the main channel, doing an anonymous survey, or whatever other method you think will fit your site well. 

Related to the above, find out what your members disliked about the site. Tell them you want to implement their suggestions and craft a site that they enjoy playing on. Give people positions of power IC and let them form their own plots and influence how the site progresses. 

If you've stopped advertising, start doing it again! You have a shiny new look and fresh enthusiasm, it's a perfect time to be introducing new members to your site. And put up site wanteds and such on directories. Basically, get your name out there, if you haven't already. 

ETA: Nobody can really suggest what you "should" be doing or how to get your players excited. Each board, and therefore each memberbase, is extremely varied and there is really no one-size-fits-all answer for... pretty much any question about staffing. So while we can make suggestions all day long, ultimately you and your fellow staffers are the only ones who are going to know which choice is the best one!

Edited by Jaxx
  • Agree 4

Is there an activity problem, and that is why you're trying all these new things? Or are you just randomly tossing in new things to a site that is already going well? A lot of time, if I am in the zone and cruising good in rp land, a bunch of new things are annoying. They are distractions. They are a sudden onslaught of new things I can't keep up.

Are you spacing out new species and events or are you dropping them constantly? Giving them time to catch on and be used?

But I also hate thread roulette and am of a general mind, if it ain't broke don't fix it. A lot of things happening at once in rp land often makes me shut down and go AHHH RUN AWAY. Too much to keep up with, and pressure and stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

88x31buttondandy.png

I am in total agreement with what @Jaxxsaid above, but I have a few more notes.

First, reaching out to your players to determine what they'd like to see is a great place to start, but also be careful in how you frame it. I have personally had and seen others deal with player groups who develop an attitude of entitlement -- AKA, you asked me my opinion, so clearly you should be implementing it. So be clear that you're not guaranteeing anything, you're just asking for ideas and input.

I would also suggest sitting down with your fellow mod and deconstruct your site, if you haven't already. Look at past activity almost to a granular degree. Do a post mortem on your events after they finish. What worked and what didn't? Was there something that might have worked better if approached a different way, etc. Try to think way out of the box -- Even if an idea isn't reasonable to implement, it could spark something that does work when you're brainstorming with someone else. What are your weaknesses and what are your strengths, and how can you emphasize the one and minimize the other?

New blood can do amazing things for a site, so definitely advertise and try to find some new folks. But also do the above so that you have the best set-up for those new folks, so they will stick around.

I know you have a relatively small group, but offering rewards for things that help the site have worked really well for me in the past. I don't know your site, so I don't know what you could specifically offer, but we gave points for things like activity and recommending new players, and those points could be exchanged for IC and OOC bonuses. That worked much better for me than strict activity requirements to keep people playing.

And, last but not least, don't take all of this on yourself alone. Lean on your co-mod, work together to come up with a gameplan and then implement it.

Less is more when it comes to work.

Sometimes events work well and other times they don't. In the past some of our events have gotten nearly 50 posts and others? Seven, or less. Depending on how much interest there is at the time. Sometimes members are a bit shy about what they would like to do on the site, so ask them what they would like to see and do. Do you have any epic villains? Is there any exciting member plots going on? 

@Keatonand @Jaxxhave both made excellent points about this. Also, a lot of members do not like to feel pressured and too many events can be daunting for them to get involved in.. Sometimes sites have slower periods, and I think in a way they can actually be quite healthy because it gives members (and admins) time to relax and reflect on what they would like to do. Not everything you try with the site will work out. 

Sorry to hear about your frustrations, OP. Hopefully these messages have helped. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Hey there! 

So I LOVE making events, so I can and do understand why this would be frustrating. I lucked out with my site. Even my events that flop, don't really flop. I generate a lot of hype for my events weeks in advance with ads, clues on site, and just me being a cryptic shit. However, if your members aren't feeling it, then maybe it's the lead up to the event or the execution of it. There is a lot that can go wrong with events and it's taken me -looks at watch- over five years to figure it out. Our events generate up to 300-600 new posts. Our flopped events linger in the low 100s. 

Without a whole lot of detail, I can't give you much more advice than what's stated above. And I agree completely with the suggestion to reach out to your members and ask them what they'd like to see more of or less of. If they don't like the events, ask why. Or take a poll and see who enjoys events and allow comments for suggestions. Just go into it open minded. 

I personally love most events and I love thread roulettes that have prompts. 

I'm sorry you are facing this kind of push back, but the only way to find out what's going on is to ask. ❤️ I hope things work out and if you need any more advise, we're all here!

Try making a survey/poll. It gives the opportunity for anonymous contributions. 

I try to do one every year. I ask pretty basic stuff. I actually just posted this year's!

Here's what we asked:

Any suggestions? (Literally anything.)

What kind of IC events would you like to see? (Danger, settings, screw with my characters lives, guide me, thread pairings)

What kind of OOC events would you like to see? (Advertising contest, advent calender, point shop, etc)

What kind of items would you like to see in the shop?

How do you feel about the number of forums? (Enough, not enough, too many)

How do you feel about the number of staff? (Enough, not enough, too many)

How difficult was it to get started?

What would you like to see more of? (Group specific events, IC events, OOC events, Contests, shop items, forums)

• Thank you 1

• 2 months later...

When in doubt, ask your members to give you feedback! Maybe draw up a Google Form quiz and have those left on your site take it. Sometimes people need a little incentive, so offer them something in return. Some site currency or a small gift.

Ask about everything that's been bugging you about interest and such - maybe ask where they'd like to see the board go!

Feedback quizzes have always helped my board in times of uncertainty.

• I read this! 1

I would say some fresh ideas, possibly do a vote of some kinda to bring suggestions of what your writers are really wanting to see happen. While I think with in reason loosen the reigns of what is and what can happen in the future. I wouldn't say change everything all up to attract a different crowd but make things open. The last site fell short on me due to their canon system and just how integrated it was into the older members there. There was no room to adapt new original characters into it, the obvious solution was to make newer canons or even let those old stories wither out. (Lets face it if someone hadn't replied in months it wasn't going to continue. And it wasn't just one or two it was a whole lot) But be adaptable I guess. You can be friend as heck but if you don't integrate new ideas and other peoples ideas things wont liven up.

I would say some fresh ideas, possibly do a vote of some kinda to bring suggestions of what your writers are really wanting to see happen. While I think with in reason loosen the reigns of what is and what can happen in the future. I wouldn't say change everything all up to attract a different crowd but make things open. The last site fell short on me due to their canon system and just how integrated it was into the older members there. There was no room to adapt new original characters into it, the obvious solution was to make newer canons or even let those old stories wither out. (Lets face it if someone hadn't replied in months it wasn't going to continue. And it wasn't just one or two it was a whole lot) But be adaptable I guess. You can be friend as heck but if you don't integrate new ideas and other peoples ideas things wont liven up.