When was the last time your character surprised you?

Sophey

So, I think most RPers have had those moments when you think a thread or interaction is going to go one way and it goes another way altogether. I love when these moments happen to me with my characters (it makes them feel more dynamic/alive), and I love hearing about them!

Tell the details. When did your character last surprise you as the writer? What did you think was going to happen and what actually happen? What was the fallout? Did your character's arc change? Did you derail a plot? 

• Love 1

So I had this thread between two supernatural creature hunters. My guy was a big lunk who tended to get up close and use a machete or a shotgun. The other character was a former special forces soldier and sniper. She used long range. Her backstory was MUCH deeper than mine, not gonna lie. Both characters tended to drink but she was an alcoholic due to past issues and was also surly as hell. 

So they clean out a vampire nest and go to a bar to get a few drinks and they start to get into their drinks and he's trying to compete with her but she's drinking like its her job. 

The two go stumbling out to the camp site they were staying in to sleep before getting ready to part ways. When she gets rude and starts getting in his face when he's trying to patch up some of her injuries and she slaps him a couple times and is cursing him out in Russian. He doesn't have a CLUE why she is so upset when he's trying to bandage her arm and they alcohol isn't helping. So after the third or fourth slap to the face his drunk ass gets fed up and he tosses her over his knee and spanks her. 

It was a surprise to both of them to find out she actually enjoyed that. 
So they blow off some steam, agree to hunt together tentatively. 
4 years of emotional constipation, drama, arguments and general interaction and they're now engaged to be married. 

• Love 1

spacer.png

On 7/3/2020 at 11:23 AM, Bolgron said:

4 years of emotional constipation, drama, arguments and general interaction and they're now engaged to be married. 

This whole reply was a roller coaster! Sounds like it was a fun relationship to watch develop. How cool!

• LOL 1

7 minutes ago, Sophey said:

This whole reply was a roller coaster! Sounds like it was a fun relationship to watch develop. How cool!

I think the best part of those two characters though is that eventually through all the crap they went to they both ended up become were creatures. It was a surprise (since her shift was due to being near death) and it ended up with them stealing their own car in wolverine form then having to try and figure out how to handle life and how to shift back while coming to terms with their new life style. They've been a great roller coaster for the past few years. 😄

• Love 1

spacer.png

I have a sassy pooka type character with body issues. She speaks her mind and is good at being a thief.

Two dudes were interested in her, but she is bashful with that kind of attention and turns people down.

The tiefling sat down with her one day and told her how he felt. She said basically if she couldn't have him AND the divine human that it was all or nothing. The tiefling wound up being bisexual, as was the divine human, so now they are in a polyamorous triad and are engaged and raising kids together.

Best backfire ever. I love the triad.

image.png.c0ee5c69e645e4b9a58958d449be951d.png