Do you prefer to write a specific gender?

Grimscythe

Do you prefer to write a specific gender?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

YES! I much prefer writing females, perhaps because it's my own gender, but I don't worry and stress over the different types of female I can be. However when I try being male I definitely overthink it and worry that I've not being 'very male' or whatever and in the end usually don't end up enjoying the character as much as my female ones.

Bel

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to write females. I once had an overbearing writing partner who heavily criticized my male characters and it ruined my desire to right them again. 

Only once have I had someone pressure me into making a male character. I never actually made the character, but they completely didn't listen when I said I was only comfortable playing females. Now, I just recommend other writers I know who like to play males. 

• 5 months later...

do you have a preference for what gender your characters are? Have you ever felt forced to write a character you didn't want to write in order to find plots because of a lack of interest in your preference for plotting purposes?

I have no preference when it comes to gender. I tend to like a diversity and play as such. I think if I feel forced to write something I didn't want to write, then it's not the site for me. I should find another fit. I have felt this way, but I have never stuck around long.

• 4 weeks later...

As a woman, I tend to prefer writing female characters. Since there seems to be a shortage of male writers in the community in general, I have picked up a few male characters. Google is my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always preferred to write females. I've tried to write male characters, but for some reason I just don't enjoy it and I don't know why. I WANT to like writing them, but I always end up feeling so disconnected from the character that I just end up finding them more of a chore to write than anything. 

I would enjoy writing both male and female characters probably 50/50 but I tend to get requested to play males a lot, and I find a lot of my female characters have difficulty finding plots, or getting beyond the first several posts in a thread? So I tend to exacerbate the cycle by joining with mostly male characters. I wish I would quit that! Lol... I'd really like to tell a long running story with one of my female characters some day. 

• 5 weeks later...

I tend to prefer to write women but lately I've been challenging myself and stepping out of my comfort zone here and I'm really enjoying the results. Sometimes I just have to throw myself into writing situations without thinking about them too much ahead of time, and it all just works out so surprisingly. This has turned out just like that!

• Like 1

For me it all depends on the fandom. Some fandoms I have no preference in but other fandoms I do better at writing female characters then male characters for some reason. 

Happy Chicago Fire GIF by Wolf Entertainment

I want to express myself with roleplaying, and as a woman, I want to write female characters. I've toyed with the idea of male charas, but they feel... removed from me somehow. I've never had the experience of what it's like to be male and don't currently have the desire to explore it.

Edited by Rainbow Wilderness

• 1 month later...

I tend to write males almost exclusively. Only ever wrote three or four female characters in the past, but have recently found myself wanting to branch out. Mainly I feel self conscious about doing it wrong, so tend to avoid it. Writing males comes naturally and Rp is meant to be fun and enjoyable, and if you're constantly second guessing yourself and the way you're portraying a character, then you're already taking some of the fun out of it.

No. I do limit myself on character envisionment though. If I want to write a specific character, male or female, I find it difficult to write anything else until that character has reached a conclusion; be it death or otherwise an end to their story. I become hyper-focused on them. So I only write side-characters or NPC's up until their end.

I prefer to write male characters subconciously, but I never really think about it.

Hello!

Myself, I have no preference when it comes to gender. I tend to give better responses for my male characters than I do for my female characters.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a woman and prefer to play male characters all the way. I don't know why even though I have thought about it a lot. I tried playing female characters in the past, but it felt really odd and I just couldn't get it to work. Now that I opened my own site however, I did feel that I had to make some female characters as well for the starting cast and I really do wish to branch out and learn how to do that as well, so finger's crossed

32931973_SAgif(1).gif.746e26b022202f76c8b58022c38b9a76.gif

I always tend to write as male characters. It just comes more naturally to me.  I connect better with them. But likewise, I have bitten the bullet once or twice and taken on a female character when just starting up a new site, to balance the cast, and in the hope of enticing more female characters to come along.

_BMbutton.gif.a792ce7de22dd520799aad4678cfb1bf.gifdElwUpg.gif.d499cac8334ad27d3cf26687222854a7.gif