Creating and Managing a Fandom RPG

• Contributions Mod

Here's a question that hasn't been asked in some time. I know we have people here who run fandom sites. I'm curious how you go about managing yours. Do you allow canons? How do you use or manage your canons? Are you original characters only? How do you come up for plots for non canons? Do you allow non canons? Everyone does something differently that works for them and their specific fandom. I'd love to learn more about what you do, why, and how.

• Like 1

Currently on the site i have while it is based on a fandom (Sailor Moon), the only canons we allow are the titles roles from the anime.  So for instance you'd make an OC and they'd take on that tile of Sailor Venus. While i do love Sailor Moon, I personally feel like the anime accomplished enough.  the story is done, and having show canons do things after the show is common.  I try to have it be where each group feels include. there are times its still hard because of how closed the groups can be. i consider everyone a canon, so i make plots that include the whole site, something they can mention in a thread. as for how i come up with plots for non canons, and canons, well it depends on whats going on in the story.  

• Love 1

• Contributions Mod

@RedPandaBearThat's a cool idea of using just the canon title roles. I haven't seen that before. What made you go in that direction? What are some of the types of plots you've created for the site? I must admit I'm not that familiar with Sailor Moon. I did take a look at your site and like it. Are you having difficulty advertising?

Well, I've always wanted to do an over arching story. one story with original lore, but  i dont see it a lot on other sailor moon sites, and i had to pick something im familiar with. I also like action games and anime, and a lot of sailor moon sites aren't really what i want to join right now.

The monsters or youma as they are called are getting confident to kidnap people, and take their souls and due to this new creatures are popping up as well. Thanks to all of this a curfew was put into action so anyone out past 12am isn't  at risk of getting hurt.  but im hoping that it gives people ideas to break the rules and see whats out there at night. 

That is actually okay if you don't know anything, I make all my sites open to those who don't know anything, and even if you do not there is always the wiki, something i still frequent it myself to help get ideas going and maybe add in things i dont see on other places.

Oh, you did like it? Thanks! I worry that im in a genre where what im doing might not be super popular, as some people want a more relaxed sailor moon. 

As for advertising yeah sort of? I've noticed that those on other SM sites kind of just picked where they wanted to be, and might not wan to join because they are in a comfortable spot. Im also doing more action based sailor moon, and not all the sailor moon sites are like that. I've done a lot of different types of advertising one of them being discord, where i add the server to a large list of serves. It's worked and not worked, but im willing to try anything out of the box.  @Mistress Of The Obvious

I just opened a Pokémon forum based on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. There aren't really any "canon" characters unless you count the "human" protagonist and the antagonists from the games. Either way, I consider this site a new world sort of, so references to "canon" characters aren't really a thing.

they/he - 24

• 2 months later...
  • Contributions Mod

@mewgrimThat seems like a good way to go about it. A new alternative world makes things nice and simple.

@RedPandaBearIt's a bummer that you had such a hard time with your site. It's always something you could potential revisit later and retool. Is your next site going to be a fandom or do you know yet?

@Mistress Of The Obvious -  Sadly it is. But im used to it by now.  Each site i make i try to improve on the things I didn't do on the previous one. I don't know if i will ever go back to Sailor Moon, the fandom rp wise is very saturated in a box and no one wants to leave the box.   This was my third one and it still didn't pop and overall im kind of tired. But, the next one is going to be another fandom sort of? Im borrowing the world, but i don't know how much i will add into it.  Sorry for the rambling, but to answer your question, the fandom im basing it on is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.