A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

8 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

Players who constantly say "I have yada yada muse but nothing to do" after it's been suggested to start an open or check out the opens or shipper or ask someone. If you're going to whine about having nothing to do and not make an effort I've no time for you.

Oh the "muse" thing drives me crazy too. I firmly believe there is no such thing as "muse" - you are just procrastinating and need to do something else in order to be able to get back to writing. Now *that* has gotten me into a bit of trouble when my members found out I filtered the word "muse" to "magic muse sprinkles" for the laughs.

• Love 1

shbutton.jpg

"I'm bored" is filtered to "I should look at shippers" on my board. Because you are on the DAMN INTERNET there is NO REASON you should be bored, you literally have INFINITE things to do.

People that join and then let you know every detail of their OOC life within the span of a couple hours. For fuck's sake, we have no idea who you are. Can you chill a bit? Space it out? We're literal strangers right now, we don't need to know every single detail about your life.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

On one of my sites, "bored" is filtered to "this site is so awesome." and "Is this site active?" is a gif of Deadpool staring at Rogue's butt.

"Is this site active?" and the variations swap to "Yes, we're active" and I've resisted making it "Look at the damn time the last message was posted."

• I read this! 1
  • Love 2

Pretty much my biggest Pet Peeves that I've actually encountered, of course, are as followed:

Hostile staff. Occasionally I make the mistake of joining a site where the staff have made it their job to keep bad seeds out instead of welcoming new blood in. These are usually somewhat successful sites, where the staff feel comfortable losing new members on a regular basis because they already have a fair handful. I'll make an honest mistake on my application and have someone yelling at me for "not reading the rules". They don't see it as maybe their rules weren't written as clearly as they could be. Obviously, it simply must be those dang noobs wasting their precious time. Nothing bothers me more than popping in and interacting with staff who come off as tired and overworked, to the point where they don't want to deal with me. That's a pretty bad indication of things to come in my limited experience.

No creative freedom. One time I got thiiiis close to joining a site that had "Don't complain if you die" in the rules. (A friend inviting me can get me to ignore questionable site design at times :u) But there was this one tiny issue: ...New players weren't allowed to have creative freedom over their own characters! You weren't allowed to have your own powers and you had to pick from a list of approved powers. This applied to your first character only. This RP... was supposed to be Panfandom. Not only is taking away creative freedom from noobs insulting on principle, but it's a rather bizarre design choice for an RP that's supposed to be open for literally everyone to join. Y'know what I was told when I pointed out that creative freedom was important to me? I was just one person. Who cares what I wanted? I uh... was not impressed, and took my leave.

Really PVP focused RP. Self-explanatory. I really don't like when I'm expected to go around competing with and fighting other characters. Makes it really hard to have fun.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

yjHUyz0.png

Guest Archaic Cyborg

People who feign cluelessness so they can have other people do work for him/her. If you are going to be that hopeless, how can you even.... expect to do anything once you're in?

I find it really difficult sometimes when people ask obvious questions, don't read documentation, post I'm bored, etc, etc, to not be snappy or sarcastic with them. (That's one reason why I'm considering rid of the ooc c-box so it's one less annoyance for me. I don't want to be one of those admins who appear to be snappy, but sometimes, folks seem to push it a bit.)

Those folks who are annoyed by the 'bored' people reminded me of the rper that's always complaining that they've no one to rp with but they ignore/push away people willing to rp with them. (I'm assuming it's because they don't want to rp with that person, but don't want to tell them they don't. It's less frustrating for both parties if people are honest, even if honesty does hurt a bit.)

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, Icewolf said:

Those folks who are annoyed by the 'bored' people reminded me of the rper that's always complaining that they've no one to rp with but they ignore/push away people willing to rp with them. (I'm assuming it's because they don't want to rp with that person, but don't want to tell them they don't. It's less frustrating for both parties if people are honest, even if honesty does hurt a bit.)

I can't speak for the others, but the reason I get annoyed with people whining that they're bored? Those I've tried to RP with to help them solve their boredom usually leave me to do all the work. I have to plan the thread, I have to advance the plot, and I have to integrate their moody stand offish character in with others. So if someone tells me they're bored, my standards response is to tell them to start things off. If they do, cool, but most of the time they just whine and want me to do the work. So they get told that I don't have time and I get annoyed.

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

People who brag on the cbox about how they managed to circumvent certain rules. I.e. Like how they managed to find a "creative" workaround for a rule that would normally disallow a certain type of character or ability by taking advantage of certain loopholes or technicalities in the way the rules are being worded. Though at the same time, speaking from a staffing perspective I'd also have to thank them in a certain way for revealing the loopholes in my site rules, so I can constantly improve on them.

• I read this! 4

It's less frustrating for both parties if people are honest

12 hours ago, Icewolf said:

It's less frustrating for both parties if people are honest

This so much. Whatever it is even, just be frank and don't beat around the bush or something. Dishonesty wastes both our time, anyway.

• Agree 1

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

When everyone always asks you for a plot when playing one on one and expects you to lead the entire thing yourself. It makes it work, and could be collaborative. Also, when they stop responding without even saying anything. If you lost muse or whatever, speak up! It's ok. Just gr. 

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 3

And if you personally hate weddings, why don't you say so and why do you want your characters to be married, just to say that they have nothing to do at their own wedding?

Guest Archaic Cyborg

People who ask if they can- ask you a question, important things, and then they take forever and a day to say it. Using 60 words when 30 would do.

On 05/06/2017 at 11:12 AM, Rune said:

"Is this site active?" and the variations swap to "Yes, we're active" and I've resisted making it "Look at the damn time the last message was posted."

I used to have Monty Python quotes for filtered answers. Sadly, no one ever got the references.. 

On 07/06/2017 at 11:34 PM, Death Kitten said:

I can't speak for the others, but the reason I get annoyed with people whining that they're bored? Those I've tried to RP with to help them solve their boredom usually leave me to do all the work. I have to plan the thread, I have to advance the plot, and I have to integrate their moody stand offish character in with others. So if someone tells me they're bored, my standards response is to tell them to start things off. If they do, cool, but most of the time they just whine and want me to do the work. So they get told that I don't have time and I get annoyed.

One of the first interactions I had was someone asking 'does anyone want to rp?' or something along similar lines. It was a while back, so I forget what they actually said. I responded and asked something 'sure, what do you have in mind?' Their response - 'I don't know.' I had no idea, either, so ended up thinking for the next couple of hours what I should start with. Nothing came. (I even took the dog out for a walk to try and think of something - of course, any thoughts of rp went out the window that day because we a pair of nasty akitas on the park which didn't have an owner.) Ever since then, I don't respond to 'does anyone want to rp?' because I know if they don't have a starter, there's nothing for me to respond to and I'm not going to come up with something, either. (Of course, the 'wanna rp?' question is irritating in itself.)

One thing I've noticed with the type of rper I described in my previous post is that a lot of the responses their character(s) give you are argumentative/moody ones. I don't mind moody/argumentative sometimes, when the story calls for it, but the subject of the interactions didn't warrant it, so again, I get the feeling they don't really want to do it. (They want people to rp with them, but it's got to be only what they want and nothing else. There's no mutual assistance with developing the characters of both parties.)

I do understand the feeling where it feels like you're doing all the work as I've had that happen to me, and sometimes it can also happen when the other person sends the starter. I can cases where I seem to be putting more in than the other person, I sometimes wonder if the amount I put in makes it looks like I'm controlling the rp, so I don't like it for that reason, either.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

When after writing an amazing post, I re-read my masterpiece and see a glaring typo that messes up the entire flow of the story.

• I read this! 5

On 2017-6-12 at 9:15 PM, Icewolf said:

One of the first interactions I had was someone asking 'does anyone want to rp?' or something along similar lines. It was a while back, so I forget what they actually said. I responded and asked something 'sure, what do you have in mind?' Their response - 'I don't know.' I had no idea, either, so ended up thinking for the next couple of hours what I should start with. Nothing came. (I even took the dog out for a walk to try and think of something - of course, any thoughts of rp went out the window that day because we a pair of nasty akitas on the park which didn't have an owner.) Ever since then, I don't respond to 'does anyone want to rp?' because I know if they don't have a starter, there's nothing for me to respond to and I'm not going to come up with something, either. (Of course, the 'wanna rp?' question is irritating in itself.)

One thing I've noticed with the type of rper I described in my previous post is that a lot of the responses their character(s) give you are argumentative/moody ones. I don't mind moody/argumentative sometimes, when the story calls for it, but the subject of the interactions didn't warrant it, so again, I get the feeling they don't really want to do it. (They want people to rp with them, but it's got to be only what they want and nothing else. There's no mutual assistance with developing the characters of both parties.)

I do understand the feeling where it feels like you're doing all the work as I've had that happen to me, and sometimes it can also happen when the other person sends the starter. I can cases where I seem to be putting more in than the other person, I sometimes wonder if the amount I put in makes it looks like I'm controlling the rp, so I don't like it for that reason, either.

Glad I'm not alone here. I've extended the olive branch to over a dozen of these in the last year, and I've been burned nine out of ten times. Now I'm apprehensive to respond to these kind of things, because I cannot stand doing all the development work, or worse, having the person who I welcomed ditch after one post. I don't have much free time, so I sure as hell don't want to be spending it with an uninspired flake.

And yup. Moody and disagreeable characters are fine, but there has to be some sort of line so the plot actually advances and they're not crossing their arms in a corner the entire time. That crap just gets old. You'd think people would figure out some justification for their character to cooperate. It perplexes me why they'd rather have their character standing around acting moody, rather than just getting on with the adventure, cooperating and actually doing things.

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 2