A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Staff who use the rules to drop a tl;dr 'guide' of what they don't like in characters, not necessarily what's good for the game.

I found a potential game to dive into but the rules is one long 'you can't do this, you can't do that, villains are good buuut , characters can escape BUT, players can use powers BUT!!'. Literally.

A while ago on another board, I had to deal with someone joining, getting accepted and all that jazz just to up and leave hours later because they were bored and no one would plot with them. I went to their plotter and saw that five people had posted in it and they hadn't replied to a single one. To this day I don't understand what went wrong :/ it made me feel really crappy though.

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

When someone joins, makes an app, makes a plotter, and then when it comes time to actually writing they realise 'oh shit I have to actually get off my ass and do something', they disappear.

Bonus points for shady excuse.

Bonus bonus points if people have replied to their plotter and been super nice offering up threads.

'I broke my tail, be back in a week!' -Disappears forever-

I wish I could say this kind of thing was uncommon.

To people like this, thanks for wasting everyone's time.

Sincerely, dedicated RPers everywhere.

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 6

Sometimes I get annoyed that it's like we need to be constantly on Discord or a CB in order to get plots. I live in a completely different timezone and it has been a problem for me at times to get plots for my characters because I'm online when most people are asleep. Plus, not all of us have that much time to spend online and try to catch people and try to plot with them.

Anonymous poster hash: 6e1f4...5a6

• I read this! 3

The inability to let the Cbox or whatever be quiet. Sometimes people are busy typing, doing things IRL, etc. The box doesn't need to be constantly moving, nor are you personally responsible for filling it every second of the day.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
  • You're Welcome 1

7 hours ago, Rune said:

The inability to let the Cbox or whatever be quiet. Sometimes people are busy typing, doing things IRL, etc. The box doesn't need to be constantly moving, nor are you personally responsible for filling it every second of the day.

So, uh, this is when I need to go camp in your cbox and make sure it is constantly moving when you're around?

...or will just @ mentioning you a lot in my discord tell you how loved you are? 😉

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

34 minutes ago, Death Kitten said:

So, uh, this is when I need to go camp in your cbox and make sure it is constantly moving when you're around?

...or will just @ mentioning you a lot in my discord tell you how loved you are? 1f609.png

Either or is acceptable.

• You're Welcome 1

Photobucket's disaster. That's all 😡 😭

• I read this! 1

The whole 'Now to find some place to RP!' spiel. Commonly this is because they are fishing for people to throw them a free thread.

Rather than take the bait, I often give a bunch of options:

- Join current open threads

- Make their own open thread

- Make a plotter

- Respond to someone else's plotter

- Plot with fellow newbie

Suggestions are invariably ignored and the 'I don't know where to post!' baiting continues. And when someone finally does offer them a free thread, the response is 'I dunno I guess' or some vague bullshit that contributes nothing.

Another one would be when something quite obvious about your character's physical appearance is displayed in the avatar AND the app, yet partner still gets it wrong. Eyes blue? Naw Imma type that their character's eyes are bloody purple! Exaggerated example, but yeah. :P

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 1

I just had two players feed wrong information to their commanding officer because they forgot what had been written in previous threads. I mean, I get this is a game, but it usually doesn't take long to skim for the information in a previous thread.

I mean, my memory isn't perfect, but that's why it can sometimes take me a hot minute to respond... because I look stuff up if I'm not sure.

Edited by Death Kitten
typo
  • I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I hate retcons with a fiery passion.

• I read this! 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg

When a staff member takes things too fucking far and misses an important detail or three.

RP server i _____  is used for smutty rp. It's the way things are, you can't change it. And yet, one of the mods who runs a game I just joined, is bitching and moaning on about queer misrepresentation and publicly criticises and shames other users across the server.

The last place you expect to find quality representation, LGBT especially, is in a smutty server. Honestly. She can't win the 'fight', but they seem to use every chance to rant on about lgbt history and acts like she speaks for all lgbt people.

I want to escape the madness. Such a mod really grinds my bloody gears.

People who lose inspiration for characters mid-plot and archive them. I don't understand it because it never happens to me, otherwise maybe it wouldn't have been a pet peeve. 

As long as we have a plot, my characters have what to do in the story. And if they are needed in the story, how could I lose inspiration for them? If we have finished a part of the story, I might not have further inspiration, but it is as if... his story had finished, he isn't needed anymore, he can go on holidays in Bahamas. It happens in stories written alone too, each character has a role and after fulfilling it, maybe they are needed later maybe not. 

Or as well, when we finish that story, we can brainstorm for a sequel... with the same writers or with others, if the sequel is in a different direction.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

Cliques, dude, cliques. Although I have come to understand that such tends to happen because of the whole 'new members' coming and app-ing, and doing all that crazy stuff and then disappearing as someone basically already stated, But like you find a site and it seems pretty good, it has all the qualities you'd like, even the admins are chatty and welcoming in the cbox. You join, they 'We hope you like been attacked with plots' and you get excited cause yeah, who doesn't like getting attacked with plots. Character is made and accepted and you get that shippers up, heck, you even attack other shippers and get an open thread up ....and nothing. Legitimately nothing for nearly two weeks, while they constantly post and respond to each other.

• I read this! 2

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

7 hours ago, mdiamond said:

Cliques, dude, cliques. Although I have come to understand that such tends to happen because of the whole 'new members' coming and app-ing, and doing all that crazy stuff and then disappearing as someone basically already stated, But like you find a site and it seems pretty good, it has all the qualities you'd like, even the admins are chatty and welcoming in the cbox. You join, they 'We hope you like been attacked with plots' and you get excited cause yeah, who doesn't like getting attacked with plots. Character is made and accepted and you get that shippers up, heck, you even attack other shippers and get an open thread up ....and nothing. Legitimately nothing for nearly two weeks, while they constantly post and respond to each other.

The worst thing about cliques like that? They're usually the first to complain about people joining and leaving so fast... but the thing is, if a new member is ignored and not pulled into the activity pretty quickly, why should they stick around? I used to be part of a game that was really really guilty of that crap, and at first I was part of the inner circle (though I was like the only one who also wrote with those not in the inner circle), and when I was quietly dropped out of the inner circle? It was like night and day. Yeah, not fun.

• I read this! 2