A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Biggest peeve atm: people who want to change your entire plot to suit them and get pissy if you don't want to. Let's say you pitch something like:

"This plot will happen in a space station, and there is someone trying to invade it. I would write the person trying to stop the invasion, and I need someone to write the invader".

And then you get.

"Wow, this plot is really cool, but can you write the invader? Or, can you change where the plot is set?"

And you reply: "I'm sorry, but I'm really craving to do this plot as it's pitch", and get a hissy fit from them because "you are not being creative or flexible and you should totally change your preferred plot around to make them want to write it".

This happens often at InsaneJournal! It makes me ashamed to play there, but meh.

I fucking love bait-and-switch players, and the reverse.. Ones. If you advertised a basic premise with specific roles, you usually get someone asking to reverse said roles, and/or to drop the characters in a complttely new setting/era/etc. Then there are the players who plot about xyz, and soon as the rp gets rolling, they suddenly ask if you would drop the entire rp so you could play THEIR plot. If you want to play something else, then bloody advertise it! Don't accept X, only to try and swap it for Z.

This extends to players who use rp ads as a way to just chat about random shit. Sorry not sorry, I'm here to get a role filled, I'm not going to get sucked into a trap where I share random memes, personal info, and general interests. X3

Another old peeve is the good old flakers. Why spend all day plotting, only to disappear off the face of the earth in 1-2 days? I don't get it. It seems a waste of time and effort, to build a game or a 1x1, only to get 'cold feet' in 24 hours and start running for the hills.

I really can't be bothered with sites that require excruciatingly great apps in order to be accepted. Like those sites where they're like, "you spelled one word wrong, and you only wrote 4000 words for the history, we require 4001, sorry, try again"

Like I don't really get it. Why do people require so much for an app? It's so much work for the admins and it also makes me just feel like dirt for not getting accepted the first time 'round. Especially when it's an app I know would get accepted on most boards. 

And I get it, maybe that particular site's just not for me, but I joined it on behalf of a friend and now I feel like I have to stick it out. But my muse has been so dumb and flakey and half-hearted lately that I just can't be arsed. 8| I'll fix it, but eehhhhh. It makes me feel like the admins are just oh so superior.

Which is FUNNY, BECAUSE I THINK I USED TO BE THAT ADMIN. I used to be a bit critical over apps. Like, several years ago. 

And now I have an appless site. And you knw what? So far, we have fascinating, unique characters and great writing. Gasp! Meh. 

I'm in a weird mood. 

• I read this! 2

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

I really can't be bothered with sites that require excruciatingly great apps in order to be accepted. Like those sites where they're like, "you spelled one word wrong, and you only wrote 4000 words for the history, we require 4001, sorry, try again"

Like I don't really get it. Why do people require so much for an app? It's so much work for the admins and it also makes me just feel like dirt for not getting accepted the first time 'round. Especially when it's an app I know would get accepted on most boards. 

It's even worse when you go and check out accepted apps to see what type of information the admin team might be looking for, or why they might have accepted another application over yours...only to find that some of the accepted applications have less information.  Not just less information that is relevant to the character, but less information period.  And then you watch as several admin friends get their apps accepted despite being clearly less composed than yours, even though yours got torn into tiny pieces.

Then the admins act all shocked when you politely decline to make their multiple paragraph list of minute changes that don't really do anything other than prove the admins need to chill out.

Like I get that a staff team is going to give more leeway to people they 'trust' but that doesn't make it come across as less cliquish

/endrant 

• I read this! 4

Illuminate

When someone comes on your site and whines about their favorite face-claim being taken and they would totally join if it wasn't. They keep doing this like what do you want me to do about it? I'm not going to make someone give up their face to accommodate for you. 

• I read this! 5
  • Preach it! 1

I get really turned off of a site if, as a new member, literally no one makes any effort to plot with me on their own. No hits on my plotter, no one asking to plot with me in the cbox, no signs at ALL that anyone is in any way excited to plot with me. 

Maybe it's just because, as an admin, and even oftentimes as a plain old member, if we get a new person I go out of my way to throw something onto their plotter. Maybe something comes of it, and maybe nothing does, but it's still something, a sort of "We notice and care that you went through the trouble of apping on our site!" And when literally no one, not even the admins, do anything like that, it's irritating to me. x3 

And don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting people to flock to my supr kook new character!!!1! I always post in three or four other plotters immediately after getting accepted, regardless of what site it is. But it'd just be nice to feel like maybe juuuust one person thought "oh cool, she apped _____!" xD Heck, it could be nothing but a kitten gif. Just want. Something. Some response. Like an official welcome greeting 8|

• I read this! 5

Sites I Call Home:

Guest Archaic Cyborg

When someone comes on your site and whines about their favorite face-claim being taken and they would totally join if it wasn't. They keep doing this like what do you want me to do about it? I'm not going to make someone give up their face to accommodate for you. 

THIS. 

I once had a guest complain in the c-box that they'll only join once a certain facelclaim was made available. I had no idea which one they wanted, but they made it very clear that they were.... unhappy about it.

First come, first served, damn it. If staff allowed random guests to claim a taken pb, role, character, plot, etc-- then RPGs would be an even bigger headache than it already is!

I thankfully have yet to see that particular issue.  Probably for the best. I rarely 'show my ass' but I'd probably be too busy laughing at a guest to properly answer their questions if they got all up in arms about a face claim.  Like seriously, that's the very last thing I care about when I make a character, and while I advocate everyone doing things their own way, that's really something I'd have a hard time taking seriously.

• I read this! 1
  • Cheers 1

Illuminate

I personally get a face claim and get all sorts of ideas afterwards, it's always been that way for me, but I don't think I'd ever make it so important that it turns me off to an entire fun game because it's taken. Canon characters not available, maybe, because that's just my muse, but I wouldn't announce it in the cbox because honestly - what's the point? I'd just quietly exit out and continue on my way.

Okay - super unpopular opinion time - 

A personal pet-peeve of mine is people who use randomizers on their avatar so it's a different avatar every time you load a page. I'm not entirely sure why it bothers me, but it really does. :3

A personal pet-peeve of mine is people who use randomizers on their avatar so it's a different avatar every time you load a page. I'm not entirely sure why it bothers me, but it really does. :3

Well, there is something I had no idea it was possible. 

Topic: Admins or event leaders who do not give you time to finish group plot threads. I understand having to move it along. I'm talking about rushing it to the end. For example, I was on an old site where it took over a week to really get started in an event. Then the admin announced she was closing the thread in two days. 

• I read this! 1

dcsEFuW.jpg

The SGC is part of the group, Federation Sim Fleet.

Well, there is something I had no idea it was possible. 

Topic: Admins or event leaders who do not give you time to finish group plot threads. I understand having to move it along. I'm talking about rushing it to the end. For example, I was on an old site where it took over a week to really get started in an event. Then the admin announced she was closing the thread in two days. 

There are certain picture hosting sites that allow you to upload more than one picture for it to cycle through and they give you a link to their site that cycles through them at every refreshing point. :3

But omg, yes, the group plot threads! Especially if you or your partner are particularly slow, meaning you aren't rapid firing all the time. I've been on sites that only leave it on as long as the admin still is using it. Once they finish their thread they close it up. :3 I also have the whole issue with I end up joining a site in the middle of an event and I can't participate in it at all because it's 'too late.' 

Edit: I needed to add something desperately. -- NOTHING pisses me off more than when my co admin leaves all the actual admin work to me. They might accept an app or two and plot with members, but I'm doing all the claims, all the advertising, I'm literally deleting adult sites spam posts that they should have done while I was away for the night. I come back for the day and I have no time to play because I have real life and all the admin work that built up. Ugh. /end rant

Edited by Sleeping Beauty
Added a thing
  • I read this! 1

I realize that I may be breaking some sort of RP unspoken rule here, but I don't actually have a problem with people who are inactive if they:

• Have periodic bursts of activity in writing.
  • Contribute to the site in other ways, like participating in competitions, or making graphics, or just generally bringing positivity to the table.
  • Don't expect to get the same privs that an active writer would, such as access to special species, leader characters, etc.
  • Don't bring a sense of negativity, complain about activity, or are rude when they are active.
  • Don't advertise for whatever other sites they are on.

I know, my laundry list for 'ifs' is a bit long, but I have had some pretty good relationships with people who haven't been around very often, or were only around for a few months at a time a year.   

Woops. I am that writing-inactive person. I have no problems chatting in the cbox etc., but for roleplaying, I seem to need to be in a certain mood that I just cannot force. It's very, very finicky, too; if I haven't had a STELLAR day, chances are high that no posts will happen on my end and it makes me feel so guilty frick hahaha 8D On the upside, it also means that I could not care less if you take 6 months to reply to a thread. It's cool, shit happens, just keep me updated on your situation and you're golden, bro.

Biggest peeve atm: people who want to change your entire plot to suit them and get pissy if you don't want to. Let's say you pitch something like:

"This plot will happen in a space station, and there is someone trying to invade it. I would write the person trying to stop the invasion, and I need someone to write the invader".

And then you get.

"Wow, this plot is really cool, but can you write the invader? Or, can you change where the plot is set?"

And you reply: "I'm sorry, but I'm really craving to do this plot as it's pitch", and get a hissy fit from them because "you are not being creative or flexible and you should totally change your preferred plot around to make them want to write it".

Ah, yes. Funny how people who want to break lore accuse you, the creator of the RP they want to join, of inflexibility. Like, chill the heckity doo out. Work with people and the world information you have instead of expecting everything on a silver platter, yeesh. Or, y'know, don't say anything at all and make your own thing where everything is as you want it. This is honestly the most annoying thing in the world. Especially if the denied person continues to bitch about never finding anywhere their character is accepted, boo-hoo. I wonder why.

I get really turned off of a site if, as a new member, literally no one makes any effort to plot with me on their own. No hits on my plotter, no one asking to plot with me in the cbox, no signs at ALL that anyone is in any way excited to plot with me. 

Maybe it's just because, as an admin, and even oftentimes as a plain old member, if we get a new person I go out of my way to throw something onto their plotter. Maybe something comes of it, and maybe nothing does, but it's still something, a sort of "We notice and care that you went through the trouble of apping on our site!" And when literally no one, not even the admins, do anything like that, it's irritating to me. x3 

And don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting people to flock to my supr kook new character!!!1! I always post in three or four other plotters immediately after getting accepted, regardless of what site it is. But it'd just be nice to feel like maybe juuuust one person thought "oh cool, she apped _____!" xD Heck, it could be nothing but a kitten gif. Just want. Something. Some response. Like an official welcome greeting 8|

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 80 million times this, too

This one site (tbh it's happened a couple of times by now) I joined was really super cool, a thing I'd been craving for a while, and after chatting for a bit in the cbox and everyone was excited and friendly, I made the jump and an app to go with it. And then - nothing. Made an open thread, got a few responses, and it died after a week. Sent PMs to people saying "hey I have this idea we could do with our characters how's that sound" only to basically get "...ehhhhh" back, or no response at all. Sometimes, it really feels like some sites care more about the amount of members they have rather than them sticking around. I've probably just had too many disappointing experiences, though.

My pet peeve? Hmm... All right, I dig AUs. But like, if you're gonna go ahead and break canon, then like, please give me a good reason other than "i thought it was cool". I can't stand changes to lore that are plainly grasped out of thin air with no logical reasoning behind it whatsoever.

• I read this! 7

N8wB854.png

My pet peeve? Hmm... All right, I dig AUs. But like, if you're gonna go ahead and break canon, then like, please give me a good reason other than "i thought it was cool". I can't stand changes to lore that are plainly grasped out of thin air with no logical reasoning behind it whatsoever.

^ Super agreed. Honestly, for me this doesn't even count as AU. I'll use a source I know well as an example.

AU: Okay, this is set in Hogwarts 40 years after the original story, so everyone you know is dead. But the world is the same and the rules of it stand.

Not an AU: Okay, so, I based this off of Harry Potter, but everyone in the plot is a vampire. You can't have any other kind of character, there are only vampires in this world.

The second case, for me, would work much more as "inspired on" or "loosely based on", I guess?

• I read this! 3

Shadow Lady

2hgzkwh.jpg

Guest Archaic Cyborg

That feeling you get when you realise(?) that person X is only playing with you- because they need something to do when their BFF isn't online. This often involves one-IC-post-every-3-weeks situations, because they won't remember the RP unless they're poked and prodded. Because it's no longer shiny. Speaking of shiny things..

Fandom rps, though I suppose this can apply just as easily to original rps: attention spans. It is thoroughly disappointing when players won't touch a particular setting, pairing, whathaveyou, because it's 2 weeks/months/years old. While I understand that it's difficult entering a fandom that is, say, 20 years old, but 2 years? Less? What the fuck?

And this also concerns players who fandom-hop, or RP-hop because it lost the shiny new aspect. 'Welp, I've played this for 2 weeks, what else is there to wri-OH HEY, LOOK! NEW FANDOM!'. I fucking swear to Dog. At one particular community/server, nearly everyone keeps jumping fandom ship to join the next ship or bandwagon; rinse & repeat every month. Too bad if you're a player who hangs onto fandoms for longer than one week, and expect to find partners months or years later.

Players who agree to do a RP with you, be it 1x1 or a full game, just because they feel sorry for you or god knows what else. So, they can't keep up with the rp, and it dies after just a couple comments, all because they were never seriously interested in it. 

More bait and switch-type peeves: when you advertise for x y and z, with room for tweaks (because why not?), but when all you get are players who waffle on that they love your idea... but hey, can you swap the entire plot and character roles and such, for a b c? I. don't. get this. If someone is advertising for a werewolves rp, for example, you don't roll up to them and shout HEY NICE PLOT BUT RELALY, SCREW YOUR PLOT, WE ARE DOING A WIZARD VAMPIRE BANDIT  RP, NO ARGUMENTS NO EXCEPTIONS JUST FUCKING DO IT.

/soap box

ETA: once a flake, always a flake... 9.9/10 times. Long story put short; player Y flaked on me while obviously being active with others. Months later, I advertise for the same line but under a different account. Guess who answers my ad and swamps me with plot? Alright, fair enough, we're getting plot done (as if we didn't, back with my other account).

Boom, same thing happens once we agree to start the first thread. It's her who starts the thread this time, or was meant to. I haven't heard from her, she's ignored my few concerned OOC comments, but she is alive and well, using the same account elsewhere. What is so hard with communication? 

When you plot out a thread with someone, where there was no talk what so ever about anything romantic wise between the characters and their second post in they are flirting with your character. Like....if that was something you had in mind please do let me know. Cause I don't mind romance, but I don't rush them either so if that was something you wanted to do some groundwork could have been laid to build a nice well written and organically developed relationship. Now, in my head I am balking at the idea as a writer because there was no prior inclination. So, even if the character would have been down for it, I the writer am not cool with this idea. 

• I read this! 8
mrgx9Op.png

Me, myself, and I. 

I'm at such a weird part of my life, where I'm in the middle of like this giant switch in my way of thinking. I'm starting to really focus on school (or trying to), but at the same time I've always had like this obsessive, compulsive need to be in 3000 rps at once, and do 4000 posts a day. So anytime I DON'T have 4000 posts a day to do, I feel like I suddenly need to join more rps, but then at the same time its like BAM, suddenly I don't want to write ANYTHING, because holy crap I need to focus on school. 

And I think I'm finally figuring out where I actually want to be RP-wise versus school-wise. But I'm figuring it out at a bad time, RP-wise. Bleh. I just want balance in my life. >w> I'll get there, but whyyyy self. Why did you join so many boards you don't have time for? Again? I have a problem.

• I read this! 3

Sites I Call Home: