A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

46 minutes ago, Rune said:

Right alongside this, guests complaining about some aspect of your board. 

Well, sorry, all these other people managed just fine so maybe we should look at the odd duck here?

Exactly and them than expecting you to change it for them. Well tough luck son that isn't going to happen. 

• I read this! 2

I caught this as a member on a site today, and it just boggled my mind.

Freshly accepted as a Cannon, one that's not really open like, anywhere. Popular and all that.

Guest shows up on the board, and just whines and complains and really doesn't let it go that it's not fair that I got the canon before they could, because they got too busy to apply before I did. I'm sorry? I mean... character wasn't reserved, and took effort to get (had a staff request for plot hooks) and I had to work with the staff for a while, before starting on an insanely detailed application. No random whiner dude, I'm not going to give up my character because you were too busy to apply first. 

Seriously, take that shit elsewhere.

It wasn't the usual "oh shoot [character] is taken." I wouldn't have thought much of this one.

It was flat out whining. Like, multiple posts of whining in the c-box. I know that if this person joins the site, I won't be writing with them, because that kind of attitude is just disgusting.

• I read this! 3

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

Have you ever had that feeling that someone was appearing to be ranting in general, but get the feeling that you are one of the people said ranter is directing their disdain toward?

Yeah... Recently, I got that feeling.

Dude ranted about how he hates lack of communication in groups long story short. I get that it's hard to be a GM, which is why I never GM and stick with 1x1 rps, and everyone needs to be part of it. But communication is a two-way street. If you want your group to be solid then you need to be active. Not to imply hand-holding, if someone does not work out then they simply do not work out, but just make sure everyone is on the same page. If someone is absent, contact them. Stuff I'm not that great with, again, which is why I don't GM groups.

Dude wants everyone to be on a schedule, keeps adding things to the story that don't really seem to flow. Even kicked out one of his key players because they had been away for awhile without a word. Which, without knowing every detail, does not sound unreasonable. In some situations, perhaps it isn't, I totally get people being kicked from groups for lack of activity. But honestly, the best groups I have been in were slower. I knew the people were dedicated, and there wasn't much chaos... Everyone was on the same page. I can understand kicking someone out for not keeping in touch, but I find it unreasonable that they didn't even bother to understand the situation. But, I digress; there is more, but I'm not one to trash talk people.

Back on track.

I did say I was busy.

That being said, my peeve is people who don't come to me if they're concerned about something rather than bitching in a thread. Whether it's when I'll be posting, just to chat about the plot, casual conversation, whatever. If you want a group to succeed, then keep in touch with everyone, not just your bffs. Even if I'm done with the rp, I would still like to hear something. Again, communication is a two-way street.

Oh well. I knew form the start that rp would probably be a chore. I only joined because I liked the people who were in the group and because a good story. 

• I read this! 5

Biggest peeve: If you have an issue or a problem with me, just send me a friggen PM. Don't go on a two month long passive aggressive crusade. I want to be your friend. I want to fix whatever rift has grown between us. I want to ensure that misunderstandings do not happen again. Communication is key and I'll be damned if I let this sort of nonsense fester on my own RPG

Second biggest peeve: Hijacking a thread to make it literally all about your character or your ship. Please. that's not what the plot of this thread is about so stopppp, especially when this particular thread is about a kid needing medical attention and all you want to do is go on about how your character loves another character. 

• I read this! 7

On 6/22/2016 at 3:10 AM, Rune said:

Publicly complaining in the Cbox that the site is slower than normal in terms of posting.

No shit, Sherlock. Summer is happening. People have finals, people are moving, people have work/are getting new jobs. Real world is a thing and we're all very well aware that we haven't gotten as much posting done as we'd like. Your pointing it out in public isn't helping anyone, nor is it making us look good because that runs off any potential members that might be active and fill that silence you so desperately need filled.

YES! In the same vein, on various sites I've staffed, I've had comments that I'm 'not around anymore' when I go on vacation, despite the fact that I still login daily for about an hour (everywhere I stay has wifi). So showing up daily to answer questions, welcome new members, approve stuff and get to my posts (albeit with a few days delay) is apparently 'not around anymore'. Obviously we have to be online 24/7 for it to count, eh?

On 6/22/2016 at 6:35 PM, mellomeme said:

I caught this as a member on a site today, and it just boggled my mind.

Freshly accepted as a Cannon, one that's not really open like, anywhere. Popular and all that.

Guest shows up on the board, and just whines and complains and really doesn't let it go that it's not fair that I got the canon before they could, because they got too busy to apply before I did. I'm sorry? I mean... character wasn't reserved, and took effort to get (had a staff request for plot hooks) and I had to work with the staff for a while, before starting on an insanely detailed application. No random whiner dude, I'm not going to give up my character because you were too busy to apply first. 

Seriously, take that shit elsewhere.

It wasn't the usual "oh shoot [character] is taken." I wouldn't have thought much of this one.

It was flat out whining. Like, multiple posts of whining in the c-box. I know that if this person joins the site, I won't be writing with them, because that kind of attitude is just disgusting.

God damn! Please tell me a staff member was online to tell them tactfully to STFU? If anything warrants staff straightening some rude ass guest out, it is this. Sorry you had to deal with this, and kudos that you have enough control not to call them out. I want to call them out from just reading this. xD!

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 4

On 6/26/2016 at 11:42 AM, counterklock said:

Biggest peeve: If you have an issue or a problem with me, just send me a friggen PM. Don't go on a two month long passive aggressive crusade. I want to be your friend. I want to fix whatever rift has grown between us. I want to ensure that misunderstandings do not happen again. Communication is key and I'll be damned if I let this sort of nonsense fester on my own RPG.

God, this, so much this. I've had to quit boards because of stupid behind-the-scenes drama... aren't we here to write and have fun, not bicker over who is in the wrong this week? Urgh. Always better to have it out in the open where it can be resolved, rather than draining the energy of the whole board behind-the-scenes.

• I read this! 5

Something that annoys me is people who bring up the fact that rping is a hobby, a bit of an escape, and when they get home from a rough day, they want to see posts in their rps. Not necessarily all of them, but some of them. Though I know I have come across people who have mentioned they wanted all of their roleplays replied to.

Yes, roleplaying is a hobby. Yes, people like to relax, unwind and enjoy some writing fun at the end of the day. An escape. Yes, seeing that people have replied to your roleplays is very exciting. But when you're just going to be haughty about that and the fact that you want to see some activity, and people should keep roleplays moving, how you like to use roleplaying as a means to escape, then you can fuck right off and consider yourself added to the 'don't write with this person (ever again)' list. The world does not revolve around you. Schedules are not always going to match up perfectly, and sometimes things happen where people just aren't feeling it. It's just one of those things that comes with the territory.

I don't need to hear a lecture about chemistry, how certain roleplayers mesh well. Or about how there are endless possibilities, that being said, with the people you trust the most. You can just... let your partner do whatever and then, bam, stuff happens. Good job. Do you want a gold star or something? I just think 'no shit' whenever people go on about that stuff.

• I read this! 2

The other side of the coin from people whining that they need rp fix every day and you better damn well reply to them right now? The people who insist that because RP is a hobby, that RP is literally the least important thing ever.

I get that life shits in your easter basket sometimes, I get that sometimes characters aren't meshing, that's all well and good, but if you tell me you're going to respond later today to something that's needed to keep the whole plot moving for *everyone* in the game, then I don't hear from you       for a week or more without so much as a "hey, something came up" so that I know I can work around you so you're not delaying everyone else? Then you're as much as a problem as the people who hound you for a reply constantly.

It's fine if you're busy, it's fine if you don't tag, just set honest expectations on when you can. Don't commit to being a cornerstone to the plot if you don't have time to stay on top of it, and if that changes mid plot? Just be honest about it, and don't get butt hurt if we have to rearrange things so that everyone else can keep moving while you keep up with whatever else you need to do.

Though really, both ends of this equation comes down to honest communication on expectations, paired with understanding and acceptance by all parties to reach a compromise that works for everyone.

• I read this! 8

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I love you, @Death Kitten! This is my opinion too.

It is a hobby, but it is a collective one, so be considerate of those whom you are blocking in collective, plot-moving threads and make them one of your priorities, while the one-on-ones can wait, in agreement with your partners...

• I read this! 3

Lately I seemed to just put in random dutch words into posts, most of the time I do not even catch them myself but someone reaches out to me completely confused. I really hate when I do that and I kind of feel embarrassed about it as well. I know the English word and yet for some reason I write down the Dutch one.... 

• I read this! 4

49 minutes ago, Amelia said:

Lately I seemed to just put in random dutch words into posts, most of the time I do not even catch them myself but someone reaches out to me completely confused. I really hate when I do that and I kind of feel embarrassed about it as well. I know the English word and yet for some reason I write down the Dutch one.... 

At least being bilingual gives you a good excuse for it. Me? I randomly type different words than I mean, occasionally lose negative contractions, things like that... and I can't, for the life of me, tell you why. Having a mildly defective keyboard (i and q don't work reliably) has meant I've been catching more of these problems lately, but I have confused people pretty badly with these mistakes sometimes.

And I've played with a few people over the years who just miss information, mix up key pieces of information, etc. They stretch themselves too thin, they mix up plots and information across multiple games because they're playing the same or similar characters in multiple games. They do things like refer to the npc they're talking to as Joe when you have repeatedly told them the character's John, they use the wrong name for their character, or their character asks a question that was answered just one or two replies above. It's just so frustrating, especially when all the information they're mixing up is in the log/thread/whatever that they're currently writing. >.<

• I read this! 4

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Death Kitten said:

They do things like refer to the npc they're talking to as Joe when you have repeatedly told them the character's John, they use the wrong name for their character, or their character asks a question that was answered just one or two replies above. It's just so frustrating, especially when all the information they're mixing up is in the log/thread/whatever that they're currently writing. >.<

Mmm, you've reminded me of another one. I really don't mind the occasional mistake, especially if the player is bilingual; hell, I make enough mistakes myself, and I'm a native English speaker. But on one board I frequented, everyone wrote in past tense...

Except this one chick. Who always wrote in present tense. For years. At that point, it's not a mistake, it's a personal decision... and it's so jarring, in the middle of the thread, to be thrown for a loop by a totally different tense. Completely breaks your immersion. Do not like. :P

• I read this! 3

8 minutes ago, Corinthian said:

Mmm, you've reminded me of another one. I really don't mind the occasional mistake, especially if the player is bilingual; hell, I make enough mistakes myself, and I'm a native English speaker. But on one board I frequented, everyone wrote in past tense...

Except this one chick. Who always wrote in present tense. For years. At that point, it's not a mistake, it's a personal decision... and it's so jarring, in the middle of the thread, to be thrown for a loop by a totally different tense. Completely breaks your immersion. Do not like. :P

Yeah, that one drives me crazy too. One of the players on the last crew I played with did this when I first joined. Eventually they stopped, but it was like nails on a chalkboard for me when writing with them. >.< So much so, I actually have a rule for my game that specifies that all joint logs are written in past tense (though we do allow personal logs in present tense, simply because if writing a journal entry, it's normal for a person to write in present tense).

• I read this! 1

I am the one who might mix the tenses sometimes during one post. And I swear I have learnt the tense concordances in school. I can tell you IF clauses and WOULD and SHOULD and all with what they go, I can make the scheme of tenses exactly how I learnt it. But making the scheme, explaining it to a student and using it well in grammar exercises doesn't mean that I can write a story without occasionally mixing them up how they shouldn't and contradicting the scheme I know. Because when I write a story, I am thinking... words and sentences, not schemes. And probably sometimes I slip to thinking in my mother tongue, which doesn't have these concordances English and French have.

Edited by Elena

10 minutes ago, Elena said:

I am the one who might mix the tenses sometimes during one post. And I swear I have learnt the tense concordances in school. I can tell you IF clauses and WOULD and SHOULD and all with what they go, I can make the scheme of tenses exactly how I learnt it. But making the scheme, explaining it to a student and using it well in grammar exercises doesn't mean that I can write a story without occasionally mixing them up how they shouldn't and contradicting the scheme I know. Because when I write a story, I am thinking... words and sentences, not schemes. And probably sometimes I slip to thinking in my mother tongue, which doesn't have these concordances English and French have.

English is stupid, crazy stupid. Anyone who speaks it as a second language has my respect, and that respect just increases tenfold when they move into writing in it. This language is just such a mess, we borrow from multiple languages, we break our own rules enough that the breaking of the rules become their own rules, and I just recently learned that part of the reason we have so many silent letters in words? English pronunciation was apparently in the middle of a huge change just as spelling started to standardize because of the printing press. It's just insane.

So occasionally mixing tenses and other flubs because English isn't your first language? Eh, no big. The people who choose to consistently write in a different tense than everyone else in the game? Super double plus annoying.

• I read this! 5