A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

1 hour ago, Honorem said:

'Your posts are too long'

Oh the horror of people being enthusiastic about replies.

Dude, I had one player that went through our whole app process, was super excited coming in... then when I started trying to help them get moving, I got nothing but excuses about how intimidating we were... because we wrote so much, we wrote so well. I tried over and over again to encourage them to just jump in and write, reassured them that all of us started our inexperienced once, and literally the only way to get better? Write.

In the end, they ended up quitting the game instead. T_T

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

3 hours ago, Honorem said:

'I need some more threads'

-Members suggest multiple open threads whose plots are incredibly relevant to their character and a very good fit-

'Meh maybe'

Ok then.

This is the part I was thinking needed a topic, or maybe a guide. "How to get new players to engage after finishing their applications/ start-up requirements." 

It is very frustrating to go through the whole approval process and seeing their 'enthusiasm' in the Cbox chat and then when it's time for the proverbial rubber to hit the road (IC activity) they flake or stall. 

Go hit some character plotters! :)

"I read them and nothing jumps out at me" 

(We have almost 60 >.> ...really?)

Edited by Dusty
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • LOL 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

10 minutes ago, Dusty said:

This is the part I was thinking needed a topic, or maybe a guide. "How to get new players to engage after finishing their applications/ start-up requirements." 

It is very frustrating to go through the whole approval process and seeing their 'enthusiasm' in the Cbox chat and then when it's time for the proverbial rubber to hit the road (IC activity) they flake or stall. 

Go hit some character plotters! :)

"I read them and nothing jumps out at me" 

(We have almost 60 >.> ...really?)

OKAY YES. Please I've had a handful of members just like this and they seem to always take Canons...then I will create a thread for them with their...sister, cousin whomever. So they have somewhere to start and then two months in and they still have replied to it, posted anywhere. 

I don't get why a member goes through all the work to create the character/do the application talk about how excited they are to plot but never actually willing to post. It blows my mind how often this happens.  A thread for this probably would be good.

• I read this! 2

FIND ME AT 

4FPvLy.gif jQhijW.png

On 3/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, Crossroads Demon said:

This is something I'm currently dealing with and I honestly never thought this was a pet peeve because I've never ever seen a writer do this before. 

People who change their characters history (as they see fit) in a way that completely contradicts everything they've previously been writing. I have no issue with 'surprises' like oh you thought you were a single fun-loving bachelor oh shit, your ex actually had your kid and you just found out. That's fun or w/e but these were blatant contradictions totally changing the character's history I find that extremely annoying and confusing. Especially when it messes up what's already happened. 

I.e Like someone's terminally single hasn't had a boyfriend in ten years, is going to die alone. A week later JUST KIDDING they're actually happily married with three kids. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

Actually, the history not so much but their posts. Enough that I had to get the admin in on it because they would do these horrible things to my guy and get him going wild and then go back and change it and be like "See??? Professor is crazy!" All because they wanted that teacher role, when like...I would have given it up!

This was the last time I played on a board with players under 18.

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

Okay, so I had something similar happen with a player on a former sim I was in. He was pretty friendly out of character, but his character was a complete and utter jerk. He went out of his way to manipulate the command team, get things he shouldn't, etc. In Nova, everyone writes in one shared text areas (which I like because comfortable players can blend their responses together for better readability), but it does leave us open to some degree of abuse if we get bad players.

This guy would write like everything's normal, and on a few occasions he'd go back and edit things he'd already written just like your player did @Bishop, specifically to make the other player/s in the log look crazy. What was particularly bad about it, is that he'd do this just as the log was released (and emailed to all players). After we noticed, he was no longer allowed to be the one to release a log, but it's frustrating to have that trust betrayed. And this guy was an adult. I think he was in his early 30s? >.<

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

People who think that admin = customer service. You are not paying for a service. You as staff should not be expected to tend to every little detail as though walking on egg shells to keep your members.

I see this way too often.

• I read this! 6
  • Agree 3

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

When I thought I have made it clear in wanted ads with more than one character who is taken and who is still needed/open and someone still asks if x character is open.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

People who immediately go for over-powered, god-like characters rather than taking one of the more sensible ones, whether it be canon or OCs... Can they not? It's not fun, really.

• I read this! 2

When you do something wrong, whatever it is IC or plotting wise or whatever, but no one tells you and decides talking behind your back will obviously be better and will totally alert you to your mistake so you can fix instead of continuing to do it.

Also, the people who join, make some random character with no plot thought up for them whatsoever, and then proceed to go "So, what do I do now?" or complain about no one writing with them. I dunno, see if any already posted plots catch your interest or think of your own character's plot, son.

Edited by Naome
  • I read this! 2
  • Agree 2

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

On 14/03/2017 at 9:00 AM, Bishop said:

People who think that admin = customer service. You are not paying for a service. You as staff should not be expected to tend to every little detail as though walking on egg shells to keep your members.

I see this way too often.

Adding to this, people who think it's entirely up to the admin to maintain activity. That it's somehow the admin's fault that there's low activity.

Uh, no. So many newbies:

- Make an app then ditch.

- Make an app, then post once, then ditch.

- Make an app, then lurk without making any effort to engage in the community, then ditch

After it becomes clear a member isn't going to dive in and actively seek out threads, I usually offer to join them. But after doing that a dozen times in the space of a month and being shafted every time, god forbid I want to focus on threads where people actually hang around.

There's only so much staff can do. I'm really tired of the whole 'it's the admin's responsibility' mentality in general.

So yup, totally agree. :)

• I read this! 8
  • Agree 2

Speaking of admins having to carry all the activity on their shoulders... I can't remember, did I complain about newbies who want you to do everything for them? Like, they show up and ask what now? So you tell them what type of post is a good place to start, even offer to write with them, and then after you finish that, they expect you to write their next post with them too. Or worse yet, you nudge them towards another player, and instead of taking the initiative themselves and sending a starter, they expect the other player to do it?

I don't coddle, I don't frog march. If you can't figure out how to start stuff on your own occasionally, maybe you're not a fit for RP. >.<

• I read this! 7
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Death Kitten said:

Speaking of admins having to carry all the activity on their shoulders... I can't remember, did I complain about newbies who want you to do everything for them? Like, they show up and ask what now? So you tell them what type of post is a good place to start, even offer to write with them, and then after you finish that, they expect you to write their next post with them too. Or worse yet, you nudge them towards another player, and instead of taking the initiative themselves and sending a starter, they expect the other player to do it?

I don't coddle, I don't frog march. If you can't figure out how to start stuff on your own occasionally, maybe you're not a fit for RP. >.<

I feel like I have someone like that on my site and I haven't actually rped with them yet but I did offer to.  But so annoying when that happens.  It's really not that hard to get stuff going.  Find someone to thread with and go from there.

• I read this! 2

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

The most frustrating thing for me was one of the worst examples of this I had come through was someone who was running their own game too. I mean, seriously? How do you run a game when you expect everyone else to do all your work for you? o.O

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1