Signatures

Morrigan

Well, I personally am only considering to get rid of signature images, (now that Nevermore doesn't yet have anyone who'd absolutely want them there.) Because those I don't see in any way needed on an RPG forum.

But text format signatures I do see as a very useful thing. As long as they're not allowed to be needlessly high. I would have them at the most 100px high and a few hundred characters long which allows a reasonable mount of text and/or links. Also, I wouldn't allow colours. I find a signature in itself useful for providing co-players and visitors who read game events, with your character's essentials, like, I personally like linking to my character's speaking voices and bio threads of their whole family as I usually write about all of them in the same post even if some of them were there as separate chaarcters. (I don't want to constantly switch accounts between family members.) Provided in a reasonable sized signature area after each post makes sure they're easily and quickly accessable any time a reader might need or want to check out something from the bio or hear the speaking voice again. I consider them more useful than distracting.

On my other site which is on Proboards I have created some custom fields into the mini profile section where players can link some stuff such as their chaarcter's bio, tracker and possible house info threads. And then they will appear nice and clean under the avatar. I should figure out how to do that on Nevermore's host as well.

• I read this! 1

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

CHILDREN OF MERLIN - HARRT POTTER 1980S RPG
| Small app | Fluid time | Lots of species |

I am not a fan of signatures on RP forums.  For the most part with large avatars these days I just don't see the point.  You have a big picture with a Mini Profile that takes you to all the important spots which on my board includes a link to your 'Sandbox' which is just our term for character development forums where our members can post as many pictures and memes and inspirational quotes they want.  RP threads are about the writing, I don't need a link to plotters and wanted ads and other characters being shoved in my face in every post.

• I read this! 1

Signature_IA.gif

I personally have nothing against signatures, though they should not be obnoxious or too big. However most of the time I am too lazy to make something myself. I used to put up pictures of my character before a thread and sometimes include what they wear but most of the time I prefer to write everything out. I can understand why others do it and I do enjoy having a visualization of things. 

• I read this! 2

I don't hate them if they are limited. I've been on sites when they're so large they are bigger than most of the posts made on the board. Or it becomes a game to see how much crap you can shove in your signature. Smaller ones - Especially when there's solely OOC accounts where people can list characters or post shipping badges or whatever - are my favorite.

My site doesn't use them and I prefer it that way. Things seem less cluttered and I don't have to scroll past the same images over and over again when reading threads.

• I read this! 1

• 4 months later...

I enjoy signatures that enhance the "mood" or help explain the character's personality - but only if they're small, tasteful and have a purpose.  I've seen GIANT signatures that are essentially just screen shots from an anime series, or incredibly low res images stolen from the web somewhere, etc. and those I dislike.

My forum's got a limit on the size of graphics in signatures, but it does allow HTML and CSS.  Skilled coders can manipulate small images, text and color to create something nice.

Alternately, members can choose not to use a signature graphic at all. It's up to them.  I just happen to prefer it, myself.

• I read this! 1

vhyn2f.jpg  2vubgx1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm selfish about signatures. I feel like, if they're well made and easy on my eyes, then I don't mind them. However, if they're not aesthetically pleasing to me -- I don't like them. xD

In general, I think they have a place on a forum such as this but not in a roleplay game.

PuW4FhW.jpg
INDEX • PLOT  •  CANON LIST  • WANTED ADS

I like em, as long as they're not a GIF or large. Like 400 wide and 150 high is about the limit. Anything bigger just looks like a huge picture disrupting the writing to me. So I can see the hate for them, but also the need for em. After all it is an extra spot to throw in an image of your character, especially on sites where there might only be room for one on app layouts.