Suspiciously Familiar

Anonymous

Guest Archaic Cyborg

There are a lot of players who're into the 'PWP / no build-up, insta-romance' ..er, plots! I rarely rely on IPs, they can be shared/copied/whatever so often and so easily. I'd say this person is jus another rper eho doesn't want to do all the IC development work.

So an update on this. I've been letting this person stay. I've been watching PMs and while some things feel like they might be crossing the line they are so borderline that I can't say it for sure so I've been letting it slide and monitoring it.

Then the bomb dropped and I don't know what to do! They posted a story that was identical to the original offender. I don't mean "close" I mean sans a few changed words this story was right out of the past and so now I KNOW it's them. I'm not sure what to do now. This person really caused a lot of problems and they upset a lot of people and while they aren't doing it yet they are borderline and that could mean that they will step over the line.

What would you guys do here?

Anonymous poster hash: 7221d...b7a

I would PM them and make it clear that you know who they are, and ask them kindly to just take their leave. You don't want problems, and their past behavior had been unacceptable and you aren't willing to forgive and forget.  If they start a problem, just ban them.

If i know the person is a troublemaker, I'd give them a chance to just go of their own free will and not make a scene about it. 

• I read this! 6

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

I absolutely agree with mellomeme. Confront them politely via pm, be straight up that you would like them to leave quietly and why (stick to the facts such as that you know who they are), and be prepared to ban them if they throw a fit.

If they cooperate and go quietly, don't make a fuss about it to members, just say that they realized your site wasn't a fit for them and leave it at that. The less attention drawn to their departure, the easier it will be for everyone. But if they do make a fuss on the way out, be prepared to make a factual statement to defend your request that they leave. Stick to the facts (what they did in the past, why you're sure it's the same person, and what they've done this time) and avoid being emotional, calling names, etc. If necessary, have someone you trust that is outside the game proof read your statement before you post it.

Good luck.

• I read this! 5

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of suspiciously familiar... this may be ever so slightly off-topic, so forgive me... has anyone else come across a character application that, well... didn't quite fit your era/subject/fandom at all? A big pile of vague, where the specifics ought to be.

A hunch, and a little simple googling turned up the fact that the app in question was a carbon copy that had been submitted, without any changes, to at least four other sites. Without any tailoring to board specifics at all. :/ Terrible pity, really, because it actually quite well written, but still. Gotta admit our staff felt a little cheated.

• I read this! 1

8 hours ago, Corinthian said:

On the subject of suspiciously familiar... this may be ever so slightly off-topic, so forgive me... has anyone else come across a character application that, well... didn't quite fit your era/subject/fandom at all? A big pile of vague, where the specifics ought to be.

A hunch, and a little simple googling turned up the fact that the app in question was a carbon copy that had been submitted, without any changes, to at least four other sites. Without any tailoring to board specifics at all. :/ Terrible pity, really, because it actually quite well written, but still. Gotta admit our staff felt a little cheated.

Yep, had it happen before. God forbid they take five minutes to hash out those vague elements so it fits nicely with the site. These are probably the instant gratification members, who want their character approved right then and there and effort be damned.

• I read this! 1