Time in RPs

Morrigan

I've been through various different time structures. Some like in a game based on the Titanic needed to be structured and announced as the day changed. 

Some due to the very short posts and slooow progress of story lines went across about three days (with weather forecasts included) until days changes were announced. Some have been seasonal and were aligned to the actual season (however, if you live in the alternate hemisphere that would end up opposite to RL). 

Currently, I am in a fluid time RPG that covers a whole year. So basically any time in the year is fine and the characters can be in multiple threads over the course of that year. It's just a matter of keeping track of your character's timeline. Plenty of warning will be given when the year will change and a transitional time allocated for everyone to adjust to the new time frame.

• I read this! 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

Guest Ember

The time on my site currently runs at a 3:1 ratio, meaning that there are three months/one season in game for every RL month. We do allow for the use of fuzzy and fluid time, so members are able to play at any point within the season, or even during earlier seasons, so long as things remain consistent with what has already taken place in game. Right now that flow of time makes sense for the game, as people are eager to get to certain points, and it's in no way meant to make members feel rushed. If in the future a 2:1 seems like a preferable feature to the members, we'll likely switch to that.

My games run on liquid time, and the time in the game generally doesn't line up with the time of year in real life. How quickly the time changes just depends on how quickly people are posting and plotlines are getting finished, so we might bang through an IC month in a week if everyone is super active or an IC month might last several real life months.

• I read this! 2