The Spell Check Mistress

Space_Rogue

The spelling errors that really irk me are the ones from players too lazy to edit before posting. We all can miss one or two here and there but not checking at all makes for a bumpy read.

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

• 2 weeks later...

It should be noted that a person's ability to spell has nothing to do with their intelligence. I have an uncle who builds life-saving medical technology and a great uncle who can build you a boat out of concrete and neither one of them could tell you how to spell the word 'ocean.' 

So with that in mind... personally, a person's spelling doesn't bother me much. It only becomes an issue for me if I can't understand the post, which rarely happens as I tend to just gloss over typos anyway without noticing them. And if I can't understand the post, I don't get upset about it- I just ask the person what they meant.

I would never tell someone they need to use a spellchecker but I would tell someone who I had consistent issues understanding that they should go RP elsewhere.

• I read this! 2

I get then and than confused all the time. How I speak they sound the same, same with all those words you pointed out. The only reason I don't get them mixed up is because of how I was taught them - There - it is over There | Their - The ball is Their's | They're - They Are coming now | etc. Effect and Affect and Then and Than confuse me constantly, to the point that I've added something in my own browser called Grammerly to try and deal with my occasional spelling and grammar mess up. I get pulled up a lot on other things to do with english spelling rules I've forgotten as well!

Also please remember that people may have issues to do with spelling such as dyslexia that may also have an effect on how they spell. Unless the writing was totally unintelligible in which case I'd ask for clarification or else ask them to leave I'd personally never demand a spell check. Same with roleplay posts, if I can't read the post I'm not going to potentially humiliate them by asking them to go spell check I can't read the post, I'd rather ask them to leave. I've got a friend with dyslexia and she's always preferred to be asked to leave over being asked to spell check. 

Edited by Robmin
  • I read this! 1
adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

If it's readable and I know what they're meaning by the word (even if it's a blatant grammatical or spelling error), I don't see how it matters. Especially regarding people who are not native English speakers. Just thrilled to have members who are dedicated, passionate, and engaging with their posts.

• I read this! 2