Have you ever voice chatted with other RPers?

Josie

Have you ever voice chatted with your role play partners?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have but I'm not a phone or voice person so not often. I'm also crippled by anxiety and I don't really have much to say. 

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I voice chat frequently with friends (most of whom I have in the past or currently rp with) when we play games. However, I have also been a part of group chats run by rp boards. Curse specifically seems to be the method of chatting with the groups I've been a part of, but the chats have started for any number of reasons including watching a movie together or playing games. 

Yes, but I sound like an extra from Fargo, and it tends to put people in stitches...lol

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely not! Too introverted for these shenanigans, as well as there are always other people in my house who are either not interested in being subject to my plotting (husband) or do not need to hear my plotting (children) haha... text all the way.

• I read this! 1

I've never really been interested in voice chat of any kind as it's too much like talking on the the phone and I hate talking on the phone.

• I read this! 1

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I was too shy for voice chat, but now I really enjoy it and it's helped my confidence a lot. It helps to be talking to someone you are already friends with and be welcoming to people who might join the lobby. Sometimes there are awkward lulls in conversation, but it's usually alright. I ended up making my RPG because I spoke in voice chat with people who I might not have spoken to otherwise. It's nice to VC in a group you are already in and you can just listen until you're comfortable contributing.

I really only voice chat with my best friend of four or five years. Without it, I feel disconnected from her, and that's the worst feeling in the world in my experience. Hearing her voice and her laugh just brightens up my day, and I absolutely adore it when I'm able to see her smile. <3

I can't give you the white picket fence, and if I did, you'd set it on fire.

I have voice-chatted (well, listened more than I spoke) on a group chat when the staff on one site was having a movie night.

Individually, I only did it with two people, one because he preferred to, and the other one because he mentioned his accent and I was curious to hear it, so I asked him to voice chat.

No shame, he was the one who got me curious. XD And it was a lot of fun to voice chat with him.

In general, though, I'll  rarely voice chat, because I'm too shy for that most of the time.

• I read this! 1

Shady McShaderson

I have a few times, and it's truly awesome! But I do admit, I'm somewhat self-conscious of having long voice chats because I am almost always doing stuff around the house and have to apologize for all the noise of dishes, cats, cleaning, organizing, etc etc etc LOL. Haven't done it in a while, but with Discord, maybe soon again!

• I read this! 1

I have! I love it. Though I'm usually better to talk to in text, we used to have Skype calls to our group chat that would literally last days. People would just pick up the call when they wanted to, and duck out when they didn't. I'm looking forward to doing that again. Plus having some game nights.

Community is a massive focus for me, so group stuff outside of the board is important.

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

Yep!  We have a voice channel in our Discord for voice chatting, and people engage sometimes.  Personally, I don't do it a whole lot, but I'll jump in if I'm feeling silly or want to do other things like play a video game while I'm talking.

Souls_400x100_01.jpg

'souls | no wc | character-driven | werecanines | open & active since 2001!

• 2 months later...

i have and it's really fun. but i especially like listening in voice chats. idk, i don't have a lot of energy for voice chatting ( i also hate talking on the phone ) i'm not like...shy or anything. i like joking around and stuff, but mostly just like to hang on the call on mute and listen in.

I only voice chat with players who I'm extremely comfortable around, people who I've known for years and feel a strong bond with.  I also have to be entirely alone, so no family or friends around doing stuff that the others in the voice chat might hear. If those factors aren't just right, I may still listen in on a voice chat, but i will turn off my mic and say nothing. Even then it ends up sometimes being less than once a year.

Edited by Kazetatsu

Y'all are gonna think I'm nuts...

The main reason I don't care for voice chat is that from that point on, I hear the Players' voices in my head as I read scenes and not the voices I previously heard for each character. Go figure.... Hate it when the voices in my head rebel.

Seriously, I enjoy occasionally voice chatting, but it has to be limited. I start coughing really bad after talking for extended periods. It's very embarrassing. Secondly, and less important, I'm very Southern (USA). Many people tend to not understand a word that I'm saying. Last, but not least, my work used to keep me on the phone all day long (meetings and client support). I never liked the telephone - even when I was a kid - so that makes me really dislike using voice chat alot.

• I read this! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

OHhhh good thread.

Years and years ago i would hop into a voice chat for a band I was a fan of. Never really done it RP-related though.  I'm not super comfortable with my voice, especially when I'm nervous, I end up sounding like an uber bitch, when i'm really not.  I do better in a group than 1x1.  I can blend into the background and be a wallflower for a while until i'm comfortable speaking up.