I'm so tired of...

Morrigan

@Morrigan

For me, it's the player that expects to be given a specific reaction to their character. Not sure how best to explain it. It's less about the character flirting or hitting on my character and more about the player of the character making the overtures then having a meltdown when they don't get the reactions their bio said their character should get. 

Yes, it's more than fine for a flirtatious character to flirt, even to hit on, my character. But if my character doesn't find them attractive or actually dislikes such overt actions, then let that be the end of it. Flipping out at me behind the scenes over it just ain't cool.

And I do enjoy having my characters be on the receiving end of being flirted with and even flirting back on occasion. It's when the line gets crossed or blurred between basic IC reactions and demands or expectations that I have my character react a certain way just because...well...it's their character and that's how all men or women are supposed to react to them.

Still didn't explain it well! Sorry!

~ Stormwolfe

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 4

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• Admin

No that's far better than I understood those three posts. They all seemed like they were upset that characters flirted at all. I mean if you tell me "nice heels" no matter what gender you are, you're flirting with me and being friendly. I've made some of my best friends over that (hell nice ass comments still get points too even if I don't accept the advances). So I was overly confused why there was such a staunch "don't flirt with my character" thing there.

Chracters flirt... people flirt. It's how we communicate in a friendly manner.

@Stormwolfe

• I read this! 5

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

If a character is who they intended to be, then that's awesome! I love strong feisty characters that stay true to who they are despite the reactions IC.

Although, the type of player in the example is usually expecting an instant romance or something, or to have all other characters swoon when they enter the room (whether outwardly or with inner thoughts). Their character's bio isn't always clear on that point either, and at times will say the opposite. Like, not wanting to rush into anything romantic and things like that. Then when your character plays to their own IC character specs and not to the writer's expectations, they get annoyed.  Or alternately, if they do flirt back (as is their character) the other writer jumps on it and concludes it's a together forever and never to part type thing. 

I have a male character that I just don't play anymore because if it. He's a real SOB (charming to the hilt) but a horrible match for anyone.  He loves to flirt, charm and lead others on but only if it's to his own advantage. Unfortunately, I've had to deal with far too many players that just didn't or wouldn't get that idea and be okay with it. Sure, their character can be shitty with him (the character) but when the writer gets angry at me (knowing that's the type of character he is) it just boggles me.

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 2

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

• Admin

And that's fair Dusty. I know there are perpetual victims in the world. People that actually like to be with an asshole because that's what they think they are worth but you're not talking about a true abusive person (that expects abuse etc) you're talking about the schmo joe that expects to change the derelict hearted character to love and be loved again. That's fair.

I'm all for that trope but I understand that it take a pretty specific character (and plotting) to do something like that and it takes a lot of time and effort and even then they likely aren't going to change them much. It happens, it's just not the super romance that everyone wants to see, experience read. I get that. I can agree with that.

@Dusty

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

I'm so tired of dealing with backseat moderators >.<

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

I am so tired of players who come in with the attitude of "I'm here now, I'm taking over. Screw the admin and the rules- we're doing things my way,"

All these people do is cause chaos, ruin stories, and sometimes they even scare off good writers. The ones you'd rather keep.

• I read this! 3
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 1

"He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away."
- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

@Morrigan it may also be an issue with terminology because I understand "flirting" as "hitting on, more or less openly". At any rate I agree, your character can flirt or even hit on everything that moves, as long as my character can react as they find appropriate and aren't godmodded into swooning mode. Now this makes me think about a (married) man I know in real life, who's always flirtatious with everything female. I don't know if he's looking for lovers or if that's just the way he speaks, anyway my typical reaction is "yikes, stay away from me!", although my characters could behave differently, depending on their own personality. I think all sorts of behavior can be good RP material, what's a shame is that only enthusiasm seems to be expected, when in real life reactions could vary a lot.

Edited by featherstone
  • I read this! 4

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

• Admin

@featherstone I guess. But I mean the whole point of flirting is to sort of show a superficial interest in someone. I mean the term itself is used not just for "hitting on". "Flirting with destiny" for example. You can't hit on destiny but you can be tempting fate by doing things that could be dangerous and therefore causes you to get close to your destiny etc.

Flirting is not meant to be full on hitting on. Hitting on someone is more aggressive than what a "flirt" is intended to be.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

"Meet and Greet" scenes that do not also propel some kind of plot 

• I read this! 4
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 1

COLbanner.jpg.4418a16d1a463874b97fda81b0cf6df6.jpgTSLbanner.jpg.ebc7ea223ad9135f2955657a3b0c3e71.jpg

LHbanner.jpg.0654d6e14d70207faa7460bb5a7326d0.jpgBRbanner.jpg.80123b100a263f402fc861a3202e595b.jpg

5 hours ago, Jax said:

"Meet and Greet" scenes that do not also propel some kind of plot 

To tack onto this, when you get past the scenes of just sitting around, the other player bugs out. So yup, tired of those types who only write mundane crap and then give up when they have to put some effort in for advancing the plot.

And another point that's kind of related. When someone asks you to RP, so you ask them if they have any ideas, and nope not a thing. It hinges on you to come up with everything. You can just sniff out these types a mile off.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Honorem said:

And another point that's kind of related. When someone asks you to RP, so you ask them if they have any ideas, and nope not a thing. It hinges on you to come up with everything. You can just sniff out these types a mile off.

OR when they do not like any of the ideas you present

OR they tell you to write the stater as then never reply

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 2

COLbanner.jpg.4418a16d1a463874b97fda81b0cf6df6.jpgTSLbanner.jpg.ebc7ea223ad9135f2955657a3b0c3e71.jpg

LHbanner.jpg.0654d6e14d70207faa7460bb5a7326d0.jpgBRbanner.jpg.80123b100a263f402fc861a3202e595b.jpg

On 03/01/2018 at 10:06 AM, Archivist said:

I am so tired of players who come in with the attitude of "I'm here now, I'm taking over. Screw the admin and the rules- we're doing things my way,"

All these people do is cause chaos, ruin stories, and sometimes they even scare off good writers. The ones you'd rather keep.

I love the banhammer in these instances... xD!

• I read this! 3
  • Love 1

I'm so tired of people that echo your character's speech in their posts, so then if its a group thread, most of their post is everyone else's dialogue in different colors. Like STAHP. Your character can answer and react without you copying and pasting everyone else's dialogue into your post.

• I read this! 3

On 12/24/2017 at 3:23 PM, wicked said:

If ever we needed a "Fuck yeah!" reaction, it's now. These two things are currently driving me insane.

hear, hear!

I'm so tired of guests that pop in and go "hey" then are never seen again. Or express interest in a wanted... And are never seen again.

Why bother saying anything in the box if you aren't going to sit and chat or are just going to vanish? Look things over first, decide if you are going to put forth effort, THEN chat. Or at least ask a question. Greeting people only to be met with silence gets old after a while.

I get you want to see how the community handles new blood... But why does it matter if you don't even know the site/clearly aren't going to stick around?

I keep having this happen with kids that join, start chatting then see the BIG BOLD MUST BE 18+ TO JOIN  at the top of the cbox and then go "Aww, I can't join." How did you miss that? You can't access ANYTHING without verifying your age. It's on top of the box, its on the registering screen, it's sticked to the top of the information that you had to AGE VERIFY TO SEE.

• I read this! 3
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 1