We sometimes try to impress people we just met by not trying to impress them

gist

5 minutes ago, eleholly said:

Um, the only answer is both. 

I grew up in north central. Think Purdue but like more central. I live in New York now for my job and my husband but c'est la vie, a Hoosier born and raised. I used to work in Noblesville and Zionsville, so I'm familiar with the northern burbs of the city. 

Okay, we're not 100% the same person: I prefer a red. Which isn't to say that I turn up my nose a good dry white. 😉

And you lucky so-and-so, getting out of North Central Indiana!  I'm pretty much resigned to living in here forever at this point, but I escape when I can swing it.  I'll actually be in NYC at the beginning of November to blow my vacation fund on good food and modern opera.

3 minutes ago, gist said:

Okay, we're not 100% the same person: I prefer a red. Which isn't to say that I turn up my nose a good dry white. 😉

And you lucky so-and-so, getting out of North Central Indiana!  I'm pretty much resigned to living in here forever at this point, but I escape when I can swing it.  I'll actually be in NYC at the beginning of November to blow my vacation fund on good food and modern opera.

Oh yeah, I escaped to Kentucky for graduate school and then after that I meandered up to Western New York (AKA Canada) for my residency. I love living here. New York is wonderful. The city is entirely too expensive, but a good vacation spot. There is always something going on in Manhattan. I visit every so often myself. Do you know what you're going to go see? You NEED to get chicken and rice with the white sauce at the hallal carts because A+++ good times had by all. Deliciousness. I end up taking two containers home on the train every visit. 

Ad.png

1 minute ago, eleholly said:

Oh yeah, I escaped to Kentucky for graduate school and then after that I meandered up to Western New York (AKA Canada) for my residency. I love living here. New York is wonderful. The city is entirely too expensive, but a good vacation spot. There is always something going on in Manhattan. I visit every so often myself. Do you know what you're going to go see? You NEED to get chicken and rice with the white sauce at the hallal carts because A+++ good times had by all. Deliciousness. I end up taking two containers home on the train every visit. 

I've often wondered if things would be different if I would have gone to grad school, lol. But it would have been for linguistics, so I'd probably be extra broke today, though a little more intellectually satisfied.

I hit up New York just about annually, but I can't say I've ever had the halllal cart chicken + rice -- I'm more of a "let's go to this restaurant I saw on Chef's Table" kind of eater, which is why I can't stay out there too long. My plans atm entail the new production of Marnie at the Met, Satyagraha as put on by a Swedish circus at BAM, The Play That Goes Wrong, and Sleep No More (a time-honored tradition). It's basically a long weekend, so I'm not sure that I'll be able to squeeze anything else in, but I'll probably try!

4 minutes ago, gist said:

I've often wondered if things would be different if I would have gone to grad school, lol. But it would have been for linguistics, so I'd probably be extra broke today, though a little more intellectually satisfied.

I hit up New York just about annually, but I can't say I've ever had the halllal cart chicken + rice -- I'm more of a "let's go to this restaurant I saw on Chef's Table" kind of eater, which is why I can't stay out there too long. My plans atm entail the new production of Marnie at the Met, Satyagraha as put on by a Swedish circus at BAM, The Play That Goes Wrong, and Sleep No More (a time-honored tradition). It's basically a long weekend, so I'm not sure that I'll be able to squeeze anything else in, but I'll probably try!

Oh, you absolutely need to try food cart dining JUST ONCE. I swear it's worth it! LOL 

Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned! I hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it goes! I love finding new things to do when I visit since I've explored all the historical landmarks and things. I can't keep doing the basics every time I go, LOL!

Ad.png