Things I stress about as an admin...

Morrigan

Going away for two weeks and will be on my phone only. Woke up the other night freaking out about the board catching fire #yolo

• Cheers 1
  • LOL 1

IKiE2z.png

Oh, this is certainly the thread for me. As my one of my administrators likes to say, I'm one typo away from a complete emotional explosion. Just... all the time.

My site is just shy of two months old, and it's the first site I've ever created on my own (I have amazing support from my staff, thankfully). But due to those two crucial details, I'm constantly stressing and attempting to counterbalance that stress with happy thoughts. So heeeere we go, my list of ridiculous worries:

• The big general one, that my site will fail. What "failure" means I haven't quite figured out yet, and I suppose I'll know it when it starts to creep its head around the corner. I attempt to remind myself whenever I begin to worry that failure isn't a bad thing, but it's still tough to not get paranoid about when you've put so much work into creating a brand new community.
  • The members I have now will lose faith in the community. Whether this is because they lose faith in me as a site owner or just find the site to be unfulfilling, I know it'll suck if those who have shown so much support in the beginning decide to move it. It's probably inevitable, no one can stay in one place forever, even in the RP world, but I want to do what I can to show my members that I'm here for them and want to provide them with a great experience. 
  • I will somehow break the site. Daily backups make this less of an actual worry but still. Y'never know.
  • In my determination to be a successful admin I will neglect my RP duties. Balancing writing for myself while running a community is still something I'm working on, but as the days go by I become more confident in my abilities. 

I think that's it for now. May add more after I breathe and remind myself to just relax, Nev.

• Preach it! 2

umbra-galaxy.png

18+ multi-genre community. no application. no word count.

My site isn't even open and I have some extreme anxiety about it.

First of all, I'm not a very social person, and it deeply concerns me because I want players to feel like they can ask me questions or generally talk to me. It helps strengthen the community if it feels like I'm a member with some inside knowledge rather than The Admin. I'm the least intimidating person in existence and I hope new members will understand that I'm there to help, not judge, even if I'm as socially competent as a rock.

This is my second website. I've had one before, but it didn't work out. I don't want this one to fail after all the trouble my co-admin and I have gone to to build the world and fill a niche that seems to really lack consistent places to play.

On that point, I worry that it's not the lack of consistent places to play--but a lack of players interested in the topic (It's a cyberpunk AU based in Miami). I've seen tons of dead cyberpunk sites, and I can say "well it wasn't a very cohesive plot" all day, but what makes mine anymore cohesive than theirs?

That's it off the top of my head. Since we aren't even ready to start advertising until our commissioned skin is done, it seems silly to worry, but I still do lol.

Edited by slowsadmariachi
  • Like 1

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

That I’m putting in too much or too little effort into my site events. I feel like sandboxes allow for more character creative environments, but I also feel like without prompting people will just burn themselves out. I haven’t yet figured out which one is better because it doesn’t seem like members want to take the initiative to push the narrative. Then you run the risk of people claiming that it’s bad for the staff to horde high positions in factions, but no one else seems to want to take them. Then, in the off chance they do, they’re inactive a week later and you’re stuck with a faction with an absent leader.

• Preach it! 1

addds.gif.2e6b2697e05de6bbe39af8e65a3e5840.gif

• 1 month later...

Discord stresses me out.

• Agree 3

Reality is an illusion. 

This especially applies in winter but when my internet goes down due to the weather (usually accompanied by all power in the area) and I have no way of contacting anybody to warn them unless I happen to have their phone number. >.>

^And that's assuming we can get reception...

Edited by graceomalley
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

When I accidentally let an app sit for more than a day or two because I legitimately forgot about it. Pls don't leave, I just have the memory of a gold fish!

the office oops GIF

• Love 2

GbQDuEL.png

• 1 month later...

I always wonder if my instructions are as clear, concise and efficient as possible. And whether the boards have been organized in the same way. I'm a big fan of beta testing.

• Like 1
  • Preach it! 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I think things are over simplified or not explained enough... honestly I stress about everything inwardly. I've noticed new people don't read through even the littlest thing that you posted to help them through the starting process but that's sort of normal, who really reads all the instructions when you go to put something together, right?

#New bar ad.png

• 2 weeks later...

Everything. I stress about everything. Are my members happy? Am I providing enough plot direction? Do I put enough work into events? Are the events fun? Am I approachable? What if no one likes me? Sometimes I'm not as active as I'd like to be and that stresses me out too, because it really is up to the admin/staff to keep things moving. I could continue to rattle on but...ya know. I won't. 

The only thing I don't really stress about anything is advertising. 

• Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still worrying over the flight, wing, and magic system I came up with ><   The latter is the norm in the niche I'm building for, but the other ones not so much but since it's based in the floating isles, I wanted to give some plot devices and some fun to advance rather than just magic, battle, and the merchant system.    

Oh and also the theme, first time ever doing it for MyBB.

• Like 1

Bouncing back after a couple very active members have to step away due to health issues. I know we'll survive, and one has promised to come back when they're physically able, but the interim is rough and stressful.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't opened my site yet, but me and my writing partner try soooo hard not to stress. Which ... leads me to my current stress point. I'm about to open a site that has been in development since October of last year. All the info and such is dated that far back for the most part. We weren't lazy! But I'm scared that we'll come off that way. Because I'm a Master Stresser. 

Will they like it? Will they like us? Was all this hard work going to amount to anything? We developed it slow and steady, will we win the race?

I'm a wee little stress ball. 

• Like 2

BFDTRIAL.png.529db59dba91cf02803411f1d464de5d.png

My fluctuating interests and tendency to focus hardcore on one thing. It really sucks when you’re running two sites. 

• Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 2

Reality is an illusion.