Something Smells Fishy

Anonymous

I run a fairly new board and we are always excited for new members, but something stinks about this member.  

They have registered an OOC account three times this week and have even pretended to be a new person each time.  Perhaps they don't realize that staff can see their IP address?  When it happened the second time, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that perhaps they were part of the same household.  However, they inquired after the same character.  

Now that this has happened for the third time, I am considering confronting them and possibly banning them.  But, I don't want to get ban happy for no reason.  Has anyone else had a similar issue? How did you handle it?

Anonymous poster hash: 71eb2...bd4

For me it depends a bit. You say they're inquiring after the same character each time. I assume they're being rejected? Is it because of some aspect of that person's personality that doesn't click, or is the character just unavailable? Are they doing something wrong that makes them make new accounts, or does it seem to just be random?

Either way, I'd probably pm them and ask what's up. If they're not doing anything wrong necessarily, I'd ask them what it is about that character that makes them try so hard and why they think making new accounts and pretending to be someone else will get them the spot. See if there's a way you can convince them they they can have as much fun with another character, and that they really need to stop. If they don't, then that's when the banning starts.

• Agree 1

Allow me to clarify!

They have created 4 accounts - 3 are OOC, 1 is the character account.  They have yet to submit an application.  They have only inquired about the same character in the cbox.  All of the IP addresses are the same.  But 3 different emails have been used.

Hmmm...

Well, I've dealt with people making multiple accounts to join an RP - turns out they just had really bad anxiety and made a new account every time they felt embarrassed about some perceived faux pas.

This, though? This is weird.

Next time they inquire about the character in the cbox, I'd say something like "Oh yeah, that character was made by $firstaccount. It's reserved for them."

• Agree 2

Glub glub.

• Admin

What do you mean when you say “inquire” as that has a bit of a broad range of uses. Are they asking “if they are available” or are they trying to find out more about the character? Have all of the accounts asked the same questions?

There could be a few reasons they are trying out different personalities. They could be trying to figure out which one resonates better with your site. It could be anxiety and the sense of being rejected with one so they try another. 

People are fickle things. 

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

My first guess would be someone who's probably quite young and possibly paranoid about internet Stranger Danger.

Or maybe that's not a thing any more.

Anyway, I'd just assume they're young and/or don't quite yet understand the scope of others' observation skills. Maybe it fulfills some fantasy of being popular.

I'd lean toward treating it as Weird but Benign, look and see if they're breaking any explicit rules, and then go from there.

• Agree 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

They have inquired as in asked a couple questions about the open canon character. I even informed them that the first account already registered with the character name.  So, it seems as if they are deliberately posing as another person.

Unfortunately, I run a roleplay, not a clinic.  I am not capable of dealing with someone's high anxiety or dissociative identity disorder.   I will try sending them a PM and see what they say.  I am not interested in hurting feelings or just auto-banning because they are being strange.  I just am not interested in whatever game is being played. >_<

I've seen situations like this before and a lot of times it was purposeful intent to try and be 'someone else'. Where they also had intents of stirring drama when they could. I'm not saying your situation is this situation but it could be. 🤷‍♀️ If you or other staff feel a bit uncomfortable about what is going on it may be a good choice to notify the player involved and ask why. You don't have to bring that ban hammer down yet, if they have a serious reason they'll tell you, if they are being malicious they'll probably leave since they know they've been caught.

Perhaps a gentle nudge like so with a PM that goes to all OOC accounts that are attempting to be different personas:

Hello,

The staff have noticed the accounts in question here all share the same IP address, we are a bit concerned with such behavior and would like to hear an explanation regarding this. We only allow one OOC account per player, as one player you should be going by one username.

Sincerely,

The Staff

You might want to spice that up with more relative information towards your situation as you know it better than we do but the less aggressive you sound and the more interested in why, you might actually get an answer.. or an apology... or the trash will take itself out. Who knows.

• Agree 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

Ask them.  "Are you SoandSo? We were wondering what happened to you!" All at once you let them know you can see what they're doing and you aren't being accusatory. Plus a dose of (likely feigned in this case) excitement to show that you do want them around. 

If they deny, a quick" huh, same ip. Weird" still makes it clear you're onto whatever the hell they're doing but doesn't outright accuse them off things. 

If they keep it up so you are deleting account after account because they can't commit then I'd look into banning to save yourself the headache. 

Honestly with stuff like this I'm usually more interested in watching and trying to puzzle out wtf is going on. 

• LOL 1

Honestly, this sounds like a member I know a little bit? It could genuinely be a person with a disability. Just be like 'hey, are you -these OOC accounts- too? What's up?' It doesn't have to be a super big deal.

ac2204b883ba2b2c3b93079f6c58144be0db842f
Be a Part of the Story
Discord
NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS FROM NON-ANIMATED FANDOMS