Installing Gaia; I need assistance <3

dreamsleever

First of all, thank you for this incredible forum software!  It is amazing, and I'm hoping to try it out.  If it works out, I think it'll work perfectly to my needs, and as I do, I'll be able to test this wonderful software as I manage a small RP!

Anyway!  I'm having difficulty installing it.  I'm using the free hosting provided by RPG-I to do so.  I think the difficulty is where I'm inputting the database, but I'm not sure!  I'm not sure whether I put the prefix into the database or not, so I've been trying either or, and it doesn't work.

What happens is it hangs forever at Setup, with no progress bar or anything.  It doesn't seem to be installing, or connecting my mySQL database.  I'm not sure whether I'm getting the directory right, or not.  I've tried it several times.

Thanks for your help!

tumblr_o4od0wR43y1ta7p7ko1_400.gif

Button.gif 

Currently working on: a Fire Emblem RP set in Tellius

I will tell you now, tracking down the actual cause of these installer errors can be an exercise in ageing very rapidly.

If you have a hangup at set up, it's actually more likely that the install script does not have write permissions, that is the stage where it writes your initial configuration files and it can't do anything until those are written, so make sure all your files are set properly (755, belong to you). You may also want to check your error log just to see if there's something else you're missing.

Gaia will automatically set up a database prefix, so you shouldn't have one yet. If you are dropping your hosting username from the front of the database name, that's bad, don't do that.

If you want me to look at it directly, just put in a support ticket and I'll have a peek and see what's up.

• Cheers 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

@ArceusOh yeah, I feel you on the installer errors!

I tried to write the files all to 755; this still didn't work, so I'm going to submit a ticket.  I assume it's on the hosting, yus?  You should be able to access it from there to see what's up?

Also does it setup the mySQL database or should I set that up in cPanel?  As it is, i've been setting it up in the cpanel - not sure if that's where I'm messing up!

Thanks! ❤️

Button.gif 

Just in case anyone else has the same problem, remember to move your install.css and install.php files out of the /installer folder into the root folder where /application and index.php are. It causes some automatic-file-locating schnags otherwise. ♥

• Cheers 1

(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Thanks!  The forum system is proving to be fantastic.  Love the claims system.  I could use some help with something, however -- I may have broken something.

So I tried to make a WIP theme, I wasn't able to change my theme back, so I deleted the theme, and now rather than reverting to the Default theme, it's saying Unable to Load Theme.

Is there any way that I can fix this?  I have tried editing my member profile, but it won't let me.

Edited by dreamsleever

Button.gif 

Aaahhshhhhoooo hang on a second, you'll have to fix this in the database... okay, so in your cPanel, you'll see a phpMyAdmin, get in there, and then you'll need to find the table called {whatever_your_prefix_is}_registered, find your account row, and then where is reg_theme, change this value to 1.

(There is no fall-back for deleting a default theme, it will just kaput, I'll... probably fix that in 1.1 but otherwise, guys, don't delete your default. xD Change which one's default first. Rofl)

• Cheers 1

Hmmm...it's not allowing me to change the theme or any fields in PHPmyadmin; I'm not sure what's going on; this is the first time I've used phpmyadmin as well.

Button.gif 

Could you screenshot for me? Not sure what's going sideways here.
Or, alternatively, put in another ticket and I can poke at it. xD

Here you go!  @Arceus

letssee.png

Button.gif 

Why are you inserting?

image.png

Double click the box in the row, shown here, change it, press enter. =)

@ArceusThat fixed it!  Thank you so much! ❤️

Button.gif