Random discussion

fandomjunkie

How picky are you about your canon-level, when it comes to Pern games?

I don't mean having non-canon colors and the like. For me, there's a point where it stops feeling like a Pern game, even if it has most or all of the markers of one (i.e. Threadfall, mating flights, etc.). It sometimes has to do with how characters speak, (using 21st century slang instead of Pernese slang for instance), or sometimes a game sliding a bit too far into the grimdark, so that some characters end up sounding like cartoon villains.

Thoughts?

34 year old woman living in the eastern US. Time zone is EST.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lean more towards a relaxed-canon feel, because I really don't want to keep fact-checking myself and making sure everything is completely canon compliant.   I'm already anxious enough without adding THAT to the pile.

Oh yeah, that doesn't bother me at all! Strict-canon games are definitely not for me - I don't enjoy limiting my characters to specific colors based on sexuality, for instance. Some games become too codified ICly, and leave little room for interesting things to happen on a regular basis without it becoming a little over the top.

34 year old woman living in the eastern US. Time zone is EST.