queries about hosting here

Agatha Harkness

Question

Hey there,

Okay, so I've been plotting along thinking about having a Mybb site for a bit, and the hosting options that work for me. I saw a post elsewhere which directed me here and of course I have a few questions and concerns as I'm still fairly new to any self-host type of place. I had been trying out and testing another host, and it's nice enough but I thought perhaps RPG Initiative would be better suited-especially as it's run by roleplayers for roleplayers. As a long-term roleplayer clueless about hosting stuff I've only relied on sites with ready made admin cp upload your theme and done methods. I really appreciate seeing someone in the RPG community offering up free hosting options. 

1. I just wanted to see if there were any specific downtimes that would mean members can't access my site. If say, you had a planned downtime once a month, or anything like that so I could prepare for any offline moments?

2. I saw something about mods in the drop down option when 'purchasing' a host, and installing Mybb. Now, NGL I only have one source of experience in installing mybb and that comes from opening a host webpage, clicking the file manager link and uploading my files manually. I could do all of that with little issue and managed to install Mybb and all my plugins. Now, I just wanted to see how your host handles installing Mybb? Can I still do that myself? Or do I need to supply my plugins/files to you for you to add?

3. Is there a limit on how many sites I can host? As an experienced coder I expect to have a primary RP site...potentially a second RP site, and a site to code themes and test codes on. 

4. I saw something about deleting sites after 3 months? Will you give warnings in advance in emails so we know if a site will be closed and when to plan saving content accordingly? For a site i'd use to theme test i'd thereby likely not post there much but use it to test new things on occasion and would worry you would delete my tester board. Could I "send a ticket" to ask my test site be put in the safe from deletion pile? 

Thanks in advanced. 

spacer.png

8 answers to this question

Hello @Lady Croft

I hope these answers help you out!

1. There are times that the server needs to be restarted, that is unavoidable. But that outage would only last a couple of minutes. But our up time is pretty consistent. If there is a planned outage, of course we would notify everyone. For fast notifications you could also join our discord.

2. If you want you can install myBB using an easier installer included in the hosting panel. But like you mentioned, you do have the option to have install it for you. 

3. You can have your main site and you can also use subdomains for your testing and theme boards. As in our guidelines, you would be required to keep of the boards software updated for security purposes.

4. For this question, hosting deletion happen when your entire hosting package is inactive. So using your main site and logging into you CPanel (Hosting Panel) once a month will keep your site active. We recommend always keeping a backup of your hosting account, which can be done using a easy tool in the hosting panel.

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

7 minutes ago, StormyWays13 said:

Hello @Lady Croft

I hope these answers help you out!

1. There are times that the server needs to be restarted, that is unavoidable. But that outage would only last a couple of minutes. But our up time is pretty consistent. If there is a planned outage, of course we would notify everyone. For fast notifications you could also join our discord.

2. If you want you can install myBB using an easier installer included in the hosting panel. But like you mentioned, you do have the option to have install it for you. 

3. You can have your main site and you can also use subdomains for your testing and theme boards. As in our guidelines, you would be required to keep of the boards software updated for security purposes.

4. For this question, hosting deletion happen when your entire hosting package is inactive. So using your main site and logging into you CPanel (Hosting Panel) once a month will keep your site active. We recommend always keeping a backup of your hosting account, which can be done using a easy tool in the hosting panel.

1. I expected brief times, and from what I've seen in various self-hosted sites the up time seems more consistent, and I forgot to add if there was a Discord as those really become life savers for announcements. Thanks for added that note.

2. I'll check the install options in the hosting panel to see any guidelines there. 

3. So I think I read that right. 

4. Okay that helps, seeing as much of the time admin cpanel stuff is what I tamper with more than posts on the actual forum during testing plugins and codes. 

Thank you

spacer.png

Oh snap, I remembered a couple more questions, and thought it might get lost if I just edited them in. So pardon the double post.

1. Can I host and manage images in a manager folder? So I won't need to worry about the craziness of finding alternatives to IMGUR?

2. If I registered a subdomain name and then wish to change it, (or add a domain name in it's place) how would I do that? Through the cpanel settings or through ticket support help?

Thanks again

Edited by Lady Croft

spacer.png

Yes, there is a file manager for your hosting. The only concern would be using too much disk space, as there is a limit. Users are only able to upload files where the front-end software allows, so your players can't use your file space directly, but if the software allows uploads for avatars or the like, they can use that no problem.

For changing the associated, primary domain, you'll want to put in a support ticket so that we can change the main domain on the account. Otherwise, there are domain controls in cPanel. c:

• Thank you 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Thank you @Arceus

EDIT: Just to confirm I read things right. As I plan to have a site for themes/mod testing and 1-2 roleplay sites. So....I repeat the same registration process as before of requesting a new subdomain as i have with my current site using the hosting link and basket adding method?

So I would have(examples):

sitename.rpginitiative.com - roleplay

codesite.rpginitiative.com - my coding site

That would work the same way that jcink's subdomains are used for each rp site for members, yes? That's how i'm understanding things. 

Edited by Lady Croft

spacer.png

• Admin

You can do it that way but that makes them separate sites.

In the cPanel you can create secondary subdomains so:

codesite.mysite.rpginitiative.com

Which, when you get your own domain will change to:

codesite.mydomain.com

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

2 hours ago, Morrigan said:

You can do it that way but that makes them separate sites.

In the cPanel you can create secondary subdomains so:

codesite.mysite.rpginitiative.com

Which, when you get your own domain will change to:

codesite.mydomain.com

The cPanel domain area intimidated me a tiny bit. The file manager bit was fine, but I was unsure if i was meant to touch the domain section. I thought it is always best to check and not assume and mess up. 

Can we have multiple sites though as an option? (I think what you're saying is there's no need for them, but like to check, in case any future newbieguest is also pondering how the hosting/domain bits works. )

EDIT: I think i get you though; use the main site with a domain name, add sites subbed to it, in the same way people are used to jcink's sitename.jcink.com with jcink being the domain and sites being the subs. 

TY for the speedy reply and helping with my newbie questions. 

Edited by Lady Croft

spacer.png

• Admin
On 3/6/2020 at 1:53 PM, Lady Croft said:

Can we have multiple sites though as an option? (I think what you're saying is there's no need for them, but like to check, in case any future newbieguest is also pondering how the hosting/domain bits works. )

We don't restrict you from having multiple RP hosting sites.

• Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.