Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a confession to make. When somebody makes a character that is basically one of my characters it gets on my nerves. Prefer to keep things civil tho so I just don’t say anything.

How do you deal with it? It’s happened a handful of times. Normally. I just be quietly annoyed for a while and then get over it. 

Anonymous poster hash: 55104...e7d

Similarities between characters are usually unintentional. Ideas pop up in our heads and we don't always know where they came from - it could be from a movie you watched five years ago, or a book you read three months ago...or even a character profile you don't actually remember reading. Sure, people occasionally make copies of our characters and change just enough about them to pass, but that's pretty rare, and they're more likely to be mortified to realise much later that they accidentally took inspiration from someone else's work.

At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters. Someone could copy my character profile word for word (and some have over the years) and still not end up with the same character as me because they don't write the way I do. At worst, they'll end up with a stale, stunted version of the original they aren't able to connect with - at best, the character will evolve and change to become something of their own completely distinct from my character. Either way, I don't see the point in getting upset about it. Focus on being the best you you can be.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 2

spacer.png

Quietly flattered if they seem to be trying out something I've done from genuine interest; quietly annoyed if they're just copycatting what works.

I just keep on keeping on. If someone's got the same kinks? Sweet.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly
  • Admin

Sorry to say that Character tropes are super common and while you think yours is unique... its unlikely.

Batman isn't the only orphan turned super hero. Just like the abused child turned jack ass adult....

supernatural dean winchester GIF

Just be flattered that they are interested in the same character tropes you are.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

adtest3.png

Monstrum Lumox coming soon - A Bright and Carnival Row inspired site.

Buy a Washable Face Cover/Mask

tapestries_fixed.gif

Profile set made by @jordan of Dark Motives

Yeah, I think the best you can do is recognize that it bugs you, try to realign it as flattery and move on. As mentioned before, even our most unique ideas have been done before. I think it's easy for character profiles to be similar, but rare that actual posts come out close to the same!

At the end of the day, it's the RP that matters to me more than the profiles, so that's where I focus my feels.

Characters can be similar to one another just like people can be similar to one another. I think the important thing is definitely how they are played. Everyone has a different perspective, and so even if a two characters are even almost copies of one another in their profiles, there is still a strong chance that they will be written extremely differently. Its valid to feel frustrated if you see a character thats been clearly molded after yours, but as long as the person doing it is doing it with intentions of having fun, then its something worth looking past.