new install - can not log in

kplummer

I have a brand new install on a test server (hostgator). The install went perfect, but now I can not login. no matter what I try, it says incorrect password. I have tried everything I can think of and have deleted the software and reinstalled several times with the same results.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your server's specifications? Have you fully removed the entire database and recreated it before reinstalling?

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Yes I completely deleted the database and created a new one with a new name to ensure that there was no trace, new db user name as well.... Server stats are:

• 32 Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 6376 or Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3
  • 64GB / 32GB RAM
  • 4 RAID 1s
  • SSD MySQL
  • PHP 7.4

Do the error logs output anything?

(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

And there are no hangups during installation? All the files are set to the proper writing permissions?

How comfortable are you in PHPMyAdmin and running PHP codes if given some?

I am not sure what the permissions need to be, but there were no hangups at all. I am very capable of using phpnyadmin. I build all kinds of websites.

Alright, so basically there's a known issue (it's been fixed in Salerno) in Athens where sometimes the password salt that generates messes something up, so what we're gonna do is generate a new password salt and manually rehash the password. You can do this in a spare PHP file or just use phptester.net or something, either one will work.

First, run this and get its output:

$array = ['a','b','c','d','e','f','g','h','i','j','k','l','m','n','o','p','q','r','s','t','u','v','w','x','y','z','A','B','C','D','E','F','G','H','I','J','K','L','M','N','O','P','Q','R','S','T','U','V','W','X','Y','Z',1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0];
            shuffle($array);
            $rand = array_rand($array, 30);

$salt = '';
            foreach($rand as $num)
            {
                  $salt .= $array[$num];
            }
            echo $salt;

Now we'll get into PHPMyAdmin on the Vesta database, (prefix)_registered, and edit the user 1 row. Change the reg_passsalt column to match what the above code output.

Then run this:

$salt = 'The salt it just generated';
$password = 'The password you want';
echo hash('sha256', $password . $salt);

And paste the results into the reg_password column. Now try to log in.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... had a family crisis....

Anyhow, I tried doing this process multiple times with no luck. At this point, I think I will just wait for your release of the next version and try that. Any idea when that will be?

If you'd like, I can install it for you.