A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Those people who can't have an original thought of their own and copy a player's character down to the name.

• I read this! 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

2 minutes ago, Skysails said:

Those people who can't have an original thought of their own and copy a player's character down to the name.

Just as bad? Those who wholesale crib from a TV show or movie that isn't the fandom you're playing in, without making ANY changes to the character, and without even acknowledging that they've done it. Double plus annoying when they're doing it badly by missing key details, or the changes they make to try to shoe horn it into the fandom you're playing in just don't make any sense.

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

29 minutes ago, USS Joshua Norton said:

Just as bad? Those who wholesale crib from a TV show or movie that isn't the fandom you're playing in, without making ANY changes to the character, and without even acknowledging that they've done it. Double plus annoying when they're doing it badly by missing key details, or the changes they make to try to shoe horn it into the fandom you're playing in just don't make any sense.

Using an actor for a face and using a character they play for a name on a site where this isn't appropriate as though the admin won't catch it...

• I read this! 4

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Rather than leaving quietly and being productive elsewhere, a player insists on hanging around and making a big fuss. Waste of time and energy on their part, aaaayy

Hm. Another peeve is when a game requires you (this is on journal rpgs, mind) to have 10+ quality icons. RP is meant to be about the writing, not how many icons you've hoarded! I can understand when you're not allowed to use risque content, derp, but... having # icons doesn't mean you're a quality apper and you'll stay forever and ever. XP

This one might just be me and is probably getting a bit nit picky...

But when people don't capitalize properly in the Cbox. I'm not talking perfect grammar and everything, but capitalize your lone 'i.' It makes me cringe every time because I know I'm going to have to read that app and I immediately assume they won't capitalize anything, though that's rarely the case, just a wild assumption on my end. I'm also a known douchebag so...

• I read this! 1

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

This one might just be me and is probably getting a bit nit picky...

But when people don't capitalize properly in the Cbox. I'm not talking perfect grammar and everything, but capitalize your lone 'i.' It makes me cringe every time because I know I'm going to have to read that app and I immediately assume they won't capitalize anything, though that's rarely the case, just a wild assumption on my end. I'm also a known douchebag so...

In my non RP internetting, I hang with a lot of programmers and Linux nerds. A lot of them never reach for a shift key unless they really really need to. Their user name is usually lower case, and you're lucky if they remember to capitalize your name... But the moment they start talking command line and programming languages, you can bet your bottom dollar that everything will be the exact case it needs to be. Case sensitivity in commands and file names will do that to a person.

All that to say, I've become desensitized to it, but I know where you're coming from. Hezmana, I will burn people alive (metaphorically, I swear) if they release a mission log in a sim without capitalization, and good faith efforts at correct spelling and grammar, but I've had to get over it in chat.... As long as they're not the sort to think that the letter u is a valid substitute for the word you. That's a stabbing offense.

• I read this! 1

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I hear you, and it took me years to get to this point. That and rude boys yelling at me for complaining about their writing style when I was one of only two girls in a chat of at least a dozen people kinda forced the issue.

Unrelated, Firefox for mobile is throwing snit fits and crashing on me when I try to type after the @ mention. >.< @Rune

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I feel like this, half all the time, when running a game:

ol5sTTP.gif

19 minutes ago, Blackjack Bart said:

I feel like this, half all the time, when running a game:

ol5sTTP.gif

RTFM! RTFM! *jumps up and down giggling* RTFM!

But seriously, while some fandoms and roles within a game you can absolutely fake it if you don't know the source material, especially if you have an awesome staff running the game that'll support you, there are some roles and fandoms you just can't fake it.

One that irked me when I found out after the fact, and it explained why this person's character was always just a little off... But this person had managed to progress to the command team of a Star Trek sim without watching *any* Star Trek. It's one thing if they'd seen some and decided they weren't a big fan, but wanted to write in a Star Trek sim because of friends... it's another thing to be *staff* for a gorram Trek game without watching *any* of the (at the time just nearly) half a century of material available. Eventually, she married a guy who was just like 'nope, you can't pressure me to play in your sim until you actually watch the source material' and then suddenly she was singing the praises of Benjamin Sisko (Best Captain, go ahead, fight me) with plans to binge all the series eventually (I think she'd watched either TOS or TNG before DS9, but I don't remember).

I just... I just don't know. Seriously. Just watch a movie or two, read a book in the universe... it's not that hard, is it? o.O

• I read this! 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg
2 minutes ago, Death Kitten said:

RTFM! RTFM! *jumps up and down giggling* RTFM!

But seriously, while some fandoms and roles within a game you can absolutely fake it if you don't know the source material, especially if you have an awesome staff running the game that'll support you, there are some roles and fandoms you just can't fake it.

One that irked me when I found out after the fact, and it explained why this person's character was always just a little off... But this person had managed to progress to the command team of a Star Trek sim without watching *any* Star Trek. It's one thing if they'd seen some and decided they weren't a big fan, but wanted to write in a Star Trek sim because of friends... it's another thing to be *staff* for a gorram Trek game without watching *any* of the (at the time just nearly) half a century of material available. Eventually, she married a guy who was just like 'nope, you can't pressure me to play in your sim until you actually watch the source material' and then suddenly she was singing the praises of Benjamin Sisko (Best Captain, go ahead, fight me) with plans to binge all the series eventually (I think she'd watched either TOS or TNG before DS9, but I don't remember).

I just... I just don't know. Seriously. Just watch a movie or two, read a book in the universe... it's not that hard, is it? o.O

This, a ridiculous amount!

For fandoms, especially large fandoms like ST and SW (because holy shit) I don't expect applicants to literally go out and buy all the TV series, comics, games, books, everything. If it's a film fandom!rp, watch the damn movie. If it's a video game, read the wiki, watch a couple YT videos. Not rocket science. And yet, people insist on ignoring all canon and just rewriting the world to fit their vision of said fandom. What even. That sounds like much more work than, you know, reading two wiki entries.

2 minutes ago, Blackjack Bart said:

This, a ridiculous amount!

For fandoms, especially large fandoms like ST and SW (because holy shit) I don't expect applicants to literally go out and buy all the TV series, comics, games, books, everything. If it's a film fandom!rp, watch the damn movie. If it's a video game, read the wiki, watch a couple YT videos. Not rocket science. And yet, people insist on ignoring all canon and just rewriting the world to fit their vision of said fandom. What even. That sounds like much more work than, you know, reading two wiki entries.

All I can figure is that some people just, I don't know, don't actually want to play in your fandom, but they don't know how to find people in the fandom they actually want, they don't know how to make their own game, or they're afraid to just make *everything* up. It is kinda scary to forge an entirely new path, I totally get that.

It still doesn't make the rest of us willing to give up what we actually want to play. This is why directories exist, so you can find the right setting where everyone wants the same thing you do.

Guest Archaic Cyborg
2 minutes ago, Death Kitten said:

All I can figure is that some people just, I don't know, don't actually want to play in your fandom, but they don't know how to find people in the fandom they actually want, they don't know how to make their own game, or they're afraid to just make *everything* up. It is kinda scary to forge an entirely new path, I totally get that.

It still doesn't make the rest of us willing to give up what we actually want to play. This is why directories exist, so you can find the right setting where everyone wants the same thing you do.

If I find a game that doesn't fit me, I.. move on, and I expect other people do that, too. It seems like a waste of my time and energy if I try to rewrite the game for myself and my character, because the game won't be changing just because I said so: otherwise, if every game has to be modified to suit nearly every new player that comes along, well, games can't last like that~

Directories are great; the only bad thing (in general rp) is flavour of the month trends. if person A is really into a certain genre at some point, they might get shit luck with finding an appropriate game, because the majority of them are superhero rpgs or HP or DINOSAURS

1 minute ago, Blackjack Bart said:

If I find a game that doesn't fit me, I.. move on, and I expect other people do that, too. It seems like a waste of my time and energy if I try to rewrite the game for myself and my character, because the game won't be changing just because I said so: otherwise, if every game has to be modified to suit nearly every new player that comes along, well, games can't last like that~

Directories are great; the only bad thing (in general rp) is flavour of the month trends. if person A is really into a certain genre at some point, they might get shit luck with finding an appropriate game, because the majority of them are superhero rpgs or HP or DINOSAURS

Yeah, flavor of the month stuff is frustrating. Games that show up only to disappear in a couple months because everyone else has moved onto the next flavor get old quick too. I'm having trouble finding good crew for my Star Trek sim simply because so many people seem to expect Star Trek sims to only exist in fleets... and I've just about drown in fleet politics because people seem to think because they've done enough time to achieve a high rank in a game, suddenly they get to lord over everyone else.

Which absolutely is another peeve of mine. When you are staff level of a RP? You are there to serve the player, to make sure everything goes smoothly. If you think that makes you better than the players? Well, here's the gorram plank, let me point my rapier/pistol/phaser/whatever at your back while you walk it. If you are staff, you exist to make the game enjoyable to everyone (within reason), you are there to frelling serve your players. You are NOT better than everyone else, so get off your gorram high horse and do your job.

• I read this! 1

Guest Archaic Cyborg
19 minutes ago, Death Kitten said:

Yeah, flavor of the month stuff is frustrating. Games that show up only to disappear in a couple months because everyone else has moved onto the next flavor get old quick too. I'm having trouble finding good crew for my Star Trek sim simply because so many people seem to expect Star Trek sims to only exist in fleets... and I've just about drown in fleet politics because people seem to think because they've done enough time to achieve a high rank in a game, suddenly they get to lord over everyone else.

Which absolutely is another peeve of mine. When you are staff level of a RP? You are there to serve the player, to make sure everything goes smoothly. If you think that makes you better than the players? Well, here's the gorram plank, let me point my rapier/pistol/phaser/whatever at your back while you walk it. If you are staff, you exist to make the game enjoyable to everyone (within reason), you are there to frelling serve your players. You are NOT better than everyone else, so get off your gorram high horse and do your job.

Most settings seem to have a use-by-date, so once the novelty wears off the latest film franchise or tv series, people move onto the next shiny thing, and a few loyal fans stay behind.

I can see how people would expect ST to only revolve around fleets, because to them the fandom might seem too big: and besides, all the Exciting Plot Opportunities only happen to high-ranking officers or what have you. Who wants to play a lowly citizen, after all? /captain sarcasm. It's bloody frustrating. RP isn't about being the best possible character. It's about playing characters who can interact fairly well with a wide range of others~.

For as much as I hate running games, I do enjoy them, because I know what it is I want. There's no available outlet for Fandom X, so I make a sandbox for it! Games have to have a general premise / set up, otherwise.. what's the point of making a Skyrim game, if catgirls and giant mecha demons can join? >( Having a snazzy mod title doesn't give anyone the right to degrade other people, let alone act as literal puppet-master and micromanage every itty bitty plot and IC decision. Which is another peeve-- staff who literally need permission for absolutely everything from every character. There's collaborative stories, then there are fanfics with beta readers. An rpg is not one big fanfic where the head admin gets all the 'credit'.