A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

5 hours ago, Elena said:

On MY SITE, when somebody joins, I send a welcome message, I help them integrate into the story, if someone they had their characters connected to leaves, I contact those left behind, trying to plot to bridge the gaps in a way which makes sense to the story and which creates more plots... Yes, it has happened to me too, that after a love interest or a spouse's writer left, the other writer left too, but not because they didn't have what to do on the site without  that one. It was entirely their choice.

I just wanted to say it is very awesome that you do that. I can learn something from that and just wanted to say that your dedication is inspiring!

• I read this! 4

So , a few plotting sessions spark mutual interest, both sides are expressing enthusiasm to start writing and with great excitement, you post those introductory paragraphs. You know the ones. The ones that introduce your character, give a few glimpses into where they've been/coming from and hinting at a future and then. Bam! The previously very interested partner is angry and upset that the posts to introduce my own characters are 'about my characters only" and rage quits the role-play.

Apparently, asking about her characters, expressing great interest in reading about them and asking about her wants and desires in a game somehow equated to the whole thing being only about me and my characters. It's kind of hard to write about other people's characters when your own characters have not yet met them in the game. It was always my understanding that writing 'for' someone else's characters was frowned on.

Peeved? Oh yes. Flake is the word that comes to mind and lately, it's been a blizzard.

• I read this! 5

19 hours ago, slytherinwitch said:

So , a few plotting sessions spark mutual interest, both sides are expressing enthusiasm to start writing and with great excitement, you post those introductory paragraphs. You know the ones. The ones that introduce your character, give a few glimpses into where they've been/coming from and hinting at a future and then. Bam! The previously very interested partner is angry and upset that the posts to introduce my own characters are 'about my characters only" and rage quits the role-play.

Apparently, asking about her characters, expressing great interest in reading about them and asking about her wants and desires in a game somehow equated to the whole thing being only about me and my characters. It's kind of hard to write about other people's characters when your own characters have not yet met them in the game. It was always my understanding that writing 'for' someone else's characters was frowned on.

Peeved? Oh yes. Flake is the word that comes to mind and lately, it's been a blizzard.

They were expecting you to write about your character, as well as theirs (which your character has not yet met)? Should have asked them what they planned to do if not write for their own character, sit back sipping cocktails and watching you do all the writing or something? That's a new approach!

Something makes me think that they haven't quite grasped the whole play by post RP thing yet. Don't let those bad eggs discourage you!

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 3

• 2 weeks later...

Peevish moment - when the staff of a site is constantly adding new rules that only serve as constraints for the players. x_x

We get it, you want to be in total control of every move that happens on the game.

• I read this! 6

Other RPGs I support:
ypmTeWx.png wvEkwVX.png

When you want to post and work on your board but you have been so emotionally drained from real life that you just can't do it. 

• I read this! 7

When you're 'in the zone', writing is flowing great, you are surely going to bang out this post in record time.

Then, two paragraphs in something happens that requires your attention for a few hours. By the time you return, the flow is gone and it ends up as another mundane post you're not so happy with! Argh!

• I read this! 6

^ OMG, that. I hate it. When I get bombarded with interruptions, it takes me out of the scene. I can't stand starting something and not finishing it right then and there. It'll be in the back of my mind the whole time I'm doing whatever it was I was torn away to do...

• I read this! 4

Reality is an illusion. 

When sentences become so complex I have a hard time following what someone is actually trying to say. Especially since it is not my first language I can sometimes stare at it and not figure it out no matter how hard I try. 

• I read this! 4

When people don't like an idea you pose/something you suggest while chatting about a plot, but they don't say anything and just go with it. It's great I'm excited... but if something I suggest doesn't sound fun to you, I mean, tell me straight. I'd like to know, otherwise I wouldn't RP and I'd go off and write solo.

OR, when they aren't interested in something like a plot or thread anymore, but they say nothing so you have no idea that you're the only one enjoying.

Why... is honesty so hard?? How would I know anything unless people tell me? Seriously, it happened on one site before and I just... dude, let me know so I'm not merely left knowing nothing, please.

• I read this! 6

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

My biggest Pet Peeve comes from being an admin.

People pop in, want to know if this is okay, or if that is fine, and we do what we can to integrate people into the story with characters that might not exactly mesh, but we do our best to be inclusive. They get approved, and then... never come back.

Seriously. I try to get folks approved the day they app, unless there's something drastic that they have to change. THE VERY SAME DAY if I can... but then you never return? Why? Why have you wasted my time? Time when I could be posting for other members, or developing other plot ideas to get people involved... It's happened so often lately that it just hurts.

• I read this! 9

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

Another one that has always irritated me... is when people complain about the amount of characters you have. I'm sorry I get ideas...? I'll make as many characters as I want, what's wrong with that when I rotate who I play when so everyone gets played? I had around 100 characters on one of the first sites I joined and no one complained then, psh.

• I read this! 7

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

Currently peeved at myself both for being jetlagged and thus not being caught up as fast as I'd hoped...and for not remembering that I'd probably be jetlagged. Sigh.

• I read this! 4

Publicly complaining in the Cbox that the site is slower than normal in terms of posting.

No shit, Sherlock. Summer is happening. People have finals, people are moving, people have work/are getting new jobs. Real world is a thing and we're all very well aware that we haven't gotten as much posting done as we'd like. Your pointing it out in public isn't helping anyone, nor is it making us look good because that runs off any potential members that might be active and fill that silence you so desperately need filled.

• I read this! 5

I hate it when people ask how active your board is. First of all it depends on who you ask what is considered active. Second of all you have eyes an can just click through threads yourself. 

• I read this! 5
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I hate it when people ask how active your board is. First of all it depends on who you ask what is considered active. Second of all you have eyes an can just click through threads yourself. 

Right alongside this, guests complaining about some aspect of your board. 

Well, sorry, all these other people managed just fine so maybe we should look at the odd duck here?

• I read this! 5