A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Guest Archaic Cyborg
16 hours ago, Space_Rogue said:

Another of my fav peeves. People repeatedly starting their post with 'Walks in' and often too often the first thing said is 'What's going on?' I see that ad nauseum.

THIS

Seeing people pop into a c-box or other chatty thing on a site, and watching them complain about ANOTHER site openly, like naming it, and linking it. That's just r00d af. 

Spoiler

It doesn't help when it's your site and you just happen to be a little ol' member on the site they bitched on. Like, dude, really?

• I read this! 3

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

9 hours ago, mellomeme said:

Seeing people pop into a c-box or other chatty thing on a site, and watching them complain about ANOTHER site openly, like naming it, and linking it. That's just r00d af. 

Hide contents

It doesn't help when it's your site and you just happen to be a little ol' member on the site they bitched on. Like, dude, really?

My site has it as a kind of unspoken rule that we don't talk about other boards so that we can just drop that on people.

I've had way too many guests/random new people that feel the need to fill any lull in conversation with their own voice  decide that the way to get started on their new board is to complain about their old one. Yup, makes me feel really good about having you along. Though, it does give me warning that you're going to be trouble.

• I read this! 3

In the last place I adminned at, it annoyed me to see people consistently talking about their site and their storyline which was totally irrelevant to the site we were on. If a chat got rolling with people talking about their characters and being silly, these two would chime in and talk to each other, like, "that sounds like that time our char in our storyline did this". It was almost never about the chars they had on the site they were on, it was always very obvious advertising which continued after repeated warnings. I'd have to say that's a peeve of mine.

Another one is when someone begs for attention. If I spoke to a few people about how awesome their posts were or their plots in general, then there was always someone getting melancholic and asking "what about me?" or a very hyper individual literally shouting "WELL GUESS WHAT MY CHAR IS GOING TO DO THIS." This one is more sad/annoying than it is a true peeve, though.

• I read this! 2

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

• Admin

That moment when someone tries to figure out your characters confusion and reads all of the wrong symbols in it and thinks they only have feelings for their character.

My character CAN have feelings for two different people. My character can be confused and for all of their reasoning not make sense. They can choose someone that isn't you.

• I read this! 6

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

More of a staff peeve than anything else; but when it comes to thread advertisements. Why, the holy hell, do people no longer mark when it's a "link back" advertisement? I mean, it only says it as a big image right in the advertisement board's header to do so (This way there was no missing the 'request'). So rude - then one person had the nerve to complain in the c-box that we deleted their ad.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

On 25/09/2016 at 2:31 PM, SithLordOfSnark said:

People who constantly advertise their wanted ad in the C-Box. Like seriously, we saw it the first time, if someone wanted to answer your ad, they would.

This extends to those who have just posted and need to let me know in the cbox. Or when I get sent a PM and they say in the cbox 'I sent you a PM!'

I mean, come on. Sure send me a PM, but I'll see the notification next time I refresh the page, thanks.

I get the enthusiasm and excitement, but on my side of the fence I feel like I'm being nagged, just in a different way. I've never been a fan of this.

When people use an unrealistic PB for a character who's supposed to be a certain age. Like, sure some people look older or younger... but make sure they actually look somewhat the age you're trying to have them pull off.

• I read this! 4

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2016 at 6:08 AM, Naome said:

When people use an unrealistic PB for a character who's supposed to be a certain age. Like, sure some people look older or younger... but make sure they actually look somewhat the age you're trying to have them pull off.

What do you mean I can't use Kirk Douglas (currently) as teenager!? :P

Some more I got:

- Bragging about making 'longest post ever'. It can oftenhave so much inner monologue, or too much skipping forward, which makes it difficult for fellow partners to sift through and respond.

- Apologising that 'my post is so short'. Other end of the spectrum. If the key points of my post were acknowledged and I have something to work with, I don't care if it's a single paragraph.

- Assumptions over what a character is/in general skimming over apps. When partners misread certain information about your character, like a deep dark secret of theirs. All of a sudden they're writing that secret into their own character's perception of your character, thinking it is public knowledge. I hate confrontation so asking them to change it is like pulling teeth. Basically no way to say it other than 'hey, you completely misread my app, your character would not know this'. Blah!

• I read this! 6

13 hours ago, Honorem said:

- Assumptions over what a character is/in general skimming over apps. When partners misread certain information about your character, like a deep dark secret of theirs. All of a sudden they're writing that secret into their own character's perception of your character, thinking it is public knowledge. I hate confrontation so asking them to change it is like pulling teeth. Basically no way to say it other than 'hey, you completely misread my app, your character would not know this'. Blah!

Holy marinara, this so much. After writing with more than a few people like this, I hesitate to include anything in my public bio that isn't public knowledge. And I'm careful about internal monolog for the same reason, unless I'm writing with a telepathic character (that is legit, ie. Betazoid in Trek). You write with enough bad/lazy people like this, and it affects your writing. 😢

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

WARNING: Possible lame pet peeves ahead. I'm naturally a bish so while my peeves may not all be understandable, they're peeves nonetheless. I don't expect people to change because of them or anything. :P

• Having to be the main one that goes out for plots without added effort from roleplay partners
  • Getting replies that repeatedly have zero effort put into them/replies that take the thread nowhere (< I'm a hypocrite because I sometimes do this by accident...)
  • Hyped up characters who snub other characters out of the spotlight either by members, plot, story, or OTM's (more than once, and without any plot-reason)
  • Having a roleplay partner say they'll thread with you, reply once, and then drop a thread (once or twice is fine, but every single time? Just tell me you don't wanna write with me!)
  • Having a roleplay partner who's character plays a major role in my character's life only to flake out of the forum and leave my character to figure out why the flip their romantic interest/family member/etc dramatically vanished in less than a day
  • Having a very disconnected roleplay partner that doesn't communicate what they want or take the time to understand what you want
  • Sext addicts
  • Roleplay partners who don't help you improve, or refuse to take advice from you if you happen to be more experienced than them (not forced advice, but advice they asked for)
  • Entitled Writers/Staff/Members
  • I read this! 7

These are probably dumb as heck, but...

• I'm wording this poorly, but when people continuously mention the colour of their character's eyes when they are having them move/in action. For example, "their green eyes glanced their way" or "his blue eyes stared at her". I've threaded with people who've done that in every single one of their posts. 
  • When people try to get others to hit up their plotters/shippers because they either don't like to make up plots themselves or are too lazy to do it. Like ??? why join a site and not attempt to plot with other people?
  • To add to that is when people corner others in the c-box for plots with their character and when someone finally does suggest something, they don't give any input or simply ignore it because they don't like it.
  • When a member tries to tell you how to run your site. For example, I have a member, who is also a friend, who constantly tries to get me to add or change things to my site for their convenience. They then get mad when I don't do it. I'm sorry, but I'm not changing major things on my board simply because you don't like it.
  • When someone joins my site, sticks around for awhile, leaves to join a site similar to mine, and then also leaves that one to make one of their own that is the same genre and is pretty much a rip off of your site and the other they had joined. It's dumb to be peeved about it, but I just don't think it's cool to join a site to get ideas and then screw off.
  • People who get mad at you for not wanting to have your character with theirs romantically. Roleplaying isn't all about shipping and, don't get me wrong I'm a sucker for romance plots, it's just annoying when someone constantly harasses you about it and doesn't find any other plots/stories worth threading out :/ 
  • I read this! 7

8 hours ago, Kim Possible said:

• When people try to get others to hit up their plotters/shippers because they either don't like to make up plots themselves or are too lazy to do it. Like ??? why join a site and not attempt to plot with other people?
  • To add to that is when people corner others in the c-box for plots with their character and when someone finally does suggest something, they don't give any input or simply ignore it because they don't like it.
  • People who get mad at you for not wanting to have your character with theirs romantically. Roleplaying isn't all about shipping and, don't get me wrong I'm a sucker for romance plots, it's just annoying when someone constantly harasses you about it and doesn't find any other plots/stories worth threading out :/ 

I understand these so much, though your eye color one makes me realize how little I actually mention anything concerning color during body language moments. I'm not unsure whether I should start or just not bother. XD

• I read this! 1

On 10/6/2016 at 1:49 AM, Honorem said:

Some more I got:

- Bragging about making 'longest post ever'. It can oftenhave so much inner monologue, or too much skipping forward, which makes it difficult for fellow partners to sift through and respond.

All of this.

We had someone come by asking for, shit you not, people to put in 1000+ words for a reply every single time (site I'm on has no real word count). It's just pretentious to me, honestly. There are moments where huge posts are engaging, and I have been in a few roleplays like that, but damn... 

Even worse when they say they write huge posts and adopting a haughty, or condescending attitude toward people who don't write that much, or wish that they had the talent to write that much. The latter kinda makes me sad...I get admiring people for their talent, but they really shouldn't discredit what they can do. I would rather see them in their comfort zone than stretching out their posts with fluff just to impress someone. Especially when those people they look up to are just pretentious elitists.

We also have a member who comes and goes, and every time he comes he brags about his characters, asks for things to be deleted, and then vanishes again when he gets no rps. He's even been rude to the people he's bailed on. Rinse and repeat. Can't wait for him to move on and never look back.

Another peeve, people who have roleplays in the mature section when they really don't seem like they need to be there in the first place. I can have a mature rp without the gratuitous edginess or graphic content.

That's one of the reasons why it's so hard for me to engage in dark/mature roleplays, why I'm so picky about content and such.

• I read this! 3

Replies that aren't.

You do a starter, the individual replies with absolutely no interaction. Or, if there is, its them saying 1 word.

Good luck replying to ALL THAT INTERACTION!

• I read this! 7