A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

• Admin

People that join cBox conversations with names such as "Guest" or "Anonymous" or "GuestieFish". Are you really that afraid that someone is going to know who you are?

• I read this! 5

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

On 1/15/2015 at 1:13 PM, Red Star said:

When you post on someone's plotter with an idea of how the characters could have known each other plus the beginnings of a plot for a thread for them....and instead of helping you flesh out the idea or even just picking a good location for their character to be found you just get

"ok"

This. This. This! THIS!!

I cannot count how many times this has happened and I just either drop the idea, or skype them just to get a better answer on the how's, why's and what's of the apparent "plot".

I'm 100% for just experimenting our first couple threads but eventually I get sick of unplanned stuff UNLESS I know from that particular writer's style that unplanned is the best way to go. I know two people like that who I don't mind randomness from - because they never disappoint. <3

Other peeves include...

• Going back every other sentence and editing/rewriting specific parts because you have high expectations of your own writing and are scared of not giving enough to your buds.
  • Worrying about how true you are to your characters and how much of their personality shines through for other people.
  • Taking too long to post because of the previous things.
  • Realizing that if you didn't do the previous things you would've had a post out within like, three minutes.
  • When normal talk becomes a sob story about my rp partner's life. More than two times.
  • An astonishingly sloppy skin/board set up
  • Being too attached to a rp character that gets hurt or dies (and it's not even yours!!)
  • Someone using pm's instead of my plot page to plot . Don't clog my inbox because you can't click a link. Come on, put on your big girl/boy/etc thong and click.
  • Someone wanting to have/clone your favorite FC that you currently have and yet knowing absolutely NOTHING about your prized FC (I mean Why do you even claim to love XYZ? Appearance ? There's lots of ABC hair colors and eye colors - go find someone else! Let me be a fangirl in peace.)
  • When a rp'r roleplays something they've neither researched or collected personal experience for in order to write it as accurately as possible
Edited by Hysteria
  • I read this! 2

Guest Ember

- When you claim your site has no word count, and yet you look down on anyone that doesn't complete a post that consists of 800 or more words. It's great when someone is able to write that much, and I've seen some truly beautiful pieces of writing that have gotten to a word count that high (and beyond). But sometimes a thread calls for shorter responses, and sometimes I don't feel as though I can reach the monster posts that others are able to churn out each time they tag.

- If I have to kiss your ass just to get anywhere on your site, that's not only a deal breaker for me but a major pet peeve. Yes, I would like something nice, no, I'm not going to treat you like the Queen of England just to get it. If i can't reach a certain point based on my own activity, dedication, and abilities to write, I'm going to lose interest fast and nope my way out of your site.

Getting mad at a writer because a character they requested for a plot is set to die... even though it specifically says/warns of this in the want. Like bruh, you don't want to kill off a character, don't pick up the ad. Simple.

Edited by Naome
  • I read this! 6

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

Modern day setting. And you say your character doesn't own a phone or a computer.

Do people not realize that owning a cell phone today is the equivalent of owning a landline in the 90s? Congratulations, you've now forced every thread to be a random encounter because ICly, our characters can't plan anything unless we're there in your face.

• I read this! 4

Plotting with others can be difficult for me.  Many people do not understand my characters, compositions, and/or 'outdated' compositions.  I find it galling.

Edited by Jacob
  • I read this! 3

On 27/10/2016 at 11:25 PM, Blackjack Bart said:

#3: reactive writers. Rpers who just take, they don't advance the scene, not one post. All they do is rehash your post. This extends to Wallflower Caracters ala loners, hermits, 'quiet' characters. THESE ARE NOT FUN TO PLAY, LET ALONE INTERACT WITH!

Nyeeees! x infinity. May as well have a solo thread than play with these types.

Another one from me:

- People who join then immediately start trying to rewrite the lore as perceived by their own headcanon, by posting some expansive rubbish in the writing section. Do they expect people to see these wildly overpowered concepts and say 'oh just what I needed! We've been around for a year but we've been waiting all this time for you to come and rewrite our setting for us!' Yeah nope.

• I read this! 4

Guest Archaic Cyborg

'I like that idea, let's do it!'

Er, what? I gave you 5+ detailed ideas, in a list. Which one do you like?  Aka, people who skipread and don't want to do anything but follow you.

#2: 'do I HAVE to ______'. 

If you want to be acceptd and play here, yes. Yes, you do need to chat/write/app/plot/log-in.

My peeves are mostly with myself.

When there are threads that I need to start, I pretty much have to start them before I can start tagging in threads where I owe posts. If I tag in the threads I owe first, then I tend to not have the desire to start threads. I get annoyed when I know that this is the case, but I tag in threads instead of start new ones anyway.

• I read this! 4

On 27/10/2016 at 11:25 PM, Blackjack Bart said:

#3: reactive writers. Rpers who just take, they don't advance the scene, not one post. All they do is rehash your post. This extends to Wallflower Characters aka loners, hermits, 'quiet' characters. THESE ARE NOT FUN TO PLAY, LET ALONE INTERACT WITH!

THIS! So much this @Blackjack Bart

I'm talking about someone that writes 30 words (if i'm lucky) back and gives you a whole lot of nothing (so barely even a reaction) to the 1000 word reply that move the plot forward by one sentence of dialogue that was a reactive response. 

Don't get me started on the 'hard to get talking'; 'keeps to themselves'; 'stay the hell away from me' and 'I live in a 30 miles from anyone radius where nobody ever goes' type characters >.<

• I read this! 3

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

Guest Archaic Cyborg
On 23/11/2016 at 2:17 PM, Dusty said:

THIS! So much this @Blackjack Bart

I'm talking about someone that writes 30 words (if i'm lucky) back and gives you a whole lot of nothing (so barely even a reaction) to the 1000 word reply that move the plot forward by one sentence of dialogue that was a reactive response. 

Don't get me started on the 'hard to get talking'; 'keeps to themselves'; 'stay the hell away from me' and 'I live in a 30 miles from anyone radius where nobody ever goes' type characters >.<

Shit, those! Do people just bluff their way through replies, rewriting the same old 's/he smirked in response' crap? If you did the same back, you'd probably get snarked at~

Forcing other players to start the IC conversation with a 'quiet, reclusive character' is rarely a positive experience- I always see players whose characters literally just stand there and grunt, no matter how hard the other character is trying to start a convo. People... Go out of their way to avoid interaction, thinking resistance creates interest and plot. >(

• Admin

A recent thing that has come up: Other players relying on me to create the plot, make decisions about the plot and plain flat out choose to make it all my responsibility.

Last time I checked plotting is collaborative. Fucking buck and and straight up say "I think it's best if they should stay friends" or "I really do like the idea of them getting together" not "I can explain it away on my character so you make the decision." WTF sort of answer is that?

• I read this! 6

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Not having posts to make, so then I let a 2-3 of them pile up so I can sit down and have a nice chunk of writing time, and then when I post the first one, I suddenly have 8 somehow???? Worst/best feeling.

• I read this! 6

People who get involved in so many RP that they can't find enough time to stay on top of the ones they're involved in. Especially when I get wind they're hunting for more.

And dude, if you sign up for a site that sets an activity expectation and tells you up front you sometimes may need to write by yourself to meet it... don't whine at me when I remind you that a solo post would not go amiss. >.<

I include activity expectations in my rules so that I'll attract people who'll keep up with how often I want to write. People I won't have to chase to meet that activity level. Please don't waste everyone's time by joining, and not even having the courtesy to communicate about it so you're not slowing down the plot for everyone else.

Edited by Death Kitten
  • I read this! 6

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

When someone whines about not having threads despite not having posted in any plotter or having made any open threads. Or when you offer plot ideas and they either give no feedback or outright rejects them without coming with ideas of their own. Nothing gets my blood boiling more than hearing "tbh, idk" in response. 

Plotting is a two-way thing, I'm here to have fun not come up with ideas for you because you can't do it yourself. 

• I read this! 8

sig.png