A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

On 26/11/2016 at 3:12 AM, Death Kitten said:

People who get involved in so many RP that they can't find enough time to stay on top of the ones they're involved in. Especially when I get wind they're hunting for more.

And dude, if you sign up for a site that sets an activity expectation and tells you up front you sometimes may need to write by yourself to meet it... don't whine at me when I remind you that a solo post would not go amiss. >.<

I include activity expectations in my rules so that I'll attract people who'll keep up with how often I want to write. People I won't have to chase to meet that activity level. Please don't waste everyone's time by joining, and not even having the courtesy to communicate about it so you're not slowing down the plot for everyone else.

This, this, this, this this, this this this this this this this this this this this* !!!

Especially when the activity expectation isn't overly time taxing either. 

Posting or PMing an away notice is just common courtesy in my book.

Or... I'll be on hiatus until the site is more active and there are characters that I can plot with (when there are 50 active characters on the site) >.< NO... just no.

Edited by Dusty
  • I read this! 4

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

I get really peeved with myself when I accidently miss a post, since I am in a lot of threads it happens from time to time that I miss one or forget it was my turn to post. Honestly I feel so awful when this happens as i don't want to give people the feeling that I am ignoring them or that they are less important because they are not. My brain just screws up and I forget, this has been happening a lot more lately due to stuff I am dealing with IRL. All I can think is just brain work... 

• I read this! 3

People who take IC actions personally. I play a lot of trigger happy or arsey characters, and I've lost count how many times people fall out with me because of something done IC. 

I was asked to change an entire character once because her personality was, according to the admin of the site, "scaring away new players". So my character called yours a dumb ass a few times and I'm scaring away new players? 

Also people who don't say thank you. 

Or people who never let a punch land in fight scenes. 

Edited by SusieQ
  • I read this! 5

The latest one for me is where someone goes away for literally months, doesn't tell you that they can't/don't have time to post and when they come back, they ignore your reply and flip their character to a new one. I'd understand it if I'd not been keeping my character active and wasn't putting effort into the writing, but I was. (And they never even say that the rp is ended.)

But this situation reminded me of another one - I made a character because the writer had come to me saying they wanted to play their character with x... I had my reservations about it, but I decided to give them a try. I was replying to some rps that needed replying to and they go mad on their tl about being 'ignored.' Some time later, they are on, go away for long periods, come back, go away for long periods.... It wouldn't have bothered me that much if it hadn't been for the complaining every time I replied to other people. I usually reply to the oldest first (sometimes this is broken because I have more muse for something than others, but I reply. Occasionally I am slower than at other times because stress/health/mood issues prevent me and I usually post something if I'm having those problems to let people know it will be slow.

• I read this! 4

• 3 weeks later...

People who make female characters, especially OCs, dumb. And by that, they literally know nothing. This (combined with the perfect Xena and witch stereotypes) is why I don't rp with the majority that I come across. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. No one ever does this with male characters so WHY?

• I read this! 2

When roleplayers post one liners to your paragraph. like "bob went to the store and came back and then noticed the girl" meanwhile you've got like 200+words describing everything in the scene. or when the newbies post some stupid response like 'fido sat down and licked himself' oh yes i've seen this too a few times. while i don't mind newbies joining my forum and roleplaying--i would hope they would use proper grammar and spelling too.

• I read this! 2

It's annoying AF when a community doesn't deal with problem members. I don't care if you think you're being open and welcome to everyone, if one or more of your members are driving others away (from your community, or even just your chat that's your landing spot for new members), you're failing at welcoming everyone by letting one of your members drive others away.

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

On 12/29/2016 at 10:59 AM, Death Kitten said:

It's annoying AF when a community doesn't deal with problem members. I don't care if you think you're being open and welcome to everyone, if one or more of your members are driving others away (from your community, or even just your chat that's your landing spot for new members), you're failing at welcoming everyone by letting one of your members drive others away.

I feel this so hard. Sometimes it's explained away as "that's just how they are" or "don't take it too personally". If there is someone there aggravating others, or feeling proud about being the 'super bitch' or that douchebag that makes others uncomfortable, then ... the fact that the admin keep them around means either a.) that admin enjoys / vouches for that behavior or b.) that admin has no backbone and isn't going to ensure a good community to be in.

• I read this! 2

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

8 hours ago, kay said:

I feel this so hard. Sometimes it's explained away as "that's just how they are" or "don't take it too personally". If there is someone there aggravating others, or feeling proud about being the 'super bitch' or that douchebag that makes others uncomfortable, then ... the fact that the admin keep them around means either a.) that admin enjoys / vouches for that behavior or b.) that admin has no backbone and isn't going to ensure a good community to be in.

It's especially "fun" when you can tell one or more of the admin team want to deal with the problem person/people, but there's clearly someone protecting the problems.

I can and will be understanding if someone has a good reason for their behavior. Abused by parents or partner? I'll understand why you're lashing out and quick to behave poorly, or aggressively defensive. On the autism spectrum? You may not understand what you're doing wrong. But being understanding means I'll work harder to help you work past your problems, I won't give you a free pass to treat others like crap.

A lot of people don't realize how much responsibility is on their shoulders as an admin of a community, and that curating the community requires a little more care than just saying 'everyone's welcome'.

• I read this! 3

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

It's annoying and disturbing when you write an ad that asks for 'serious inquiries only' and mentions ethics whereupon an admin reacts like a vampire confronted with a crucifix and fires off a series of verbally abusive messages after deleting said ad despite the ad breaking no rules and adhering to every site request for ads. I especially appreciate the use of profanity in what I think was a request of me to 'be polite' because mentioning ethics in a role-play ad is somehow a bad thing. The irony of someone writing in one fandom berating someone who writes in a different fandom for 'stealing' was also noted with due appreciation.

All in all, I remain convinced the admin knows me from a past role-play and is still so upset over creative differences from likely 5-10 years ago that any attempt at rational admin behavior is sadly not possible. And please note, this did not occur on this site. It was elsewhere.

On the opposite side of the spectrum as some of you have mentioned, when an individual thinks their personal problem with another member warrants admin banning that individual. 

• I read this! 3

Guest Archaic Cyborg
On 1 January 2017 at 9:05 AM, Death Kitten said:

It's especially "fun" when you can tell one or more of the admin team want to deal with the problem person/people, but there's clearly someone protecting the problems.

I can and will be understanding if someone has a good reason for their behavior. Abused by parents or partner? I'll understand why you're lashing out and quick to behave poorly, or aggressively defensive. On the autism spectrum? You may not understand what you're doing wrong. But being understanding means I'll work harder to help you work past your problems, I won't give you a free pass to treat others like crap.

A lot of people don't realize how much responsibility is on their shoulders as an admin of a community, and that curating the community requires a little more care than just saying 'everyone's welcome'.

Adminning, to me, feels like being in charge of a class room.

'Stop doing that, I already warned you.'

'No, you can't substitute x for y. '

'The deadline was announced to everybody, multiple times.'

'You need to submit your own work.'

'If you haven't ___, then you can't participate in ____'. Etc.

I don't understand how anyone believes a disorder is an excuse for shitty behaviour. 

• Admin

When people think they understand your character better than you do because they have seen one facet of them.

• I read this! 6

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

"You do it, because you are doing it better."

I wish it was just a compliment, and not also a way to let more than the normal 50% on me...

• I read this! 3

When I want to write, I have people actually tagging me so I can write... and then I just can't focus. T_T

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1