A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

• Operations Mod
2 minutes ago, jenneral_jennson said:

I dont understand this rule. Like, I’ve never actually come across it myself but I hear it as a peeve often. 

I don't understand it myself. A lot of actors have careers spanning decades, so there are a lot of visual representations of them for any given age. 

Plus there are those freaks (said affectionately cause I adore him) like Will Smith that just don't seem to age and look exactly the same now as they did 20 years ago.

I get told I look like I just graduated high school and I'm closer to thirty than I am twenty at this point. 

The whole thing is just annoying. There's no set social expectation of look for any age. I have a family member that is almost 100 years old but looks younger than another family member that is 30 years younger than she is. There's no rhyme or reason behind that dip ass standard. 

• I read this! 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

When someone joins two sites, which you admin on both. Apps on both sites are EXACTLY the same, just cut and paste with zero reference to the setting. Bonus points if the concept is so aloof and far off the mark (purely as an example, a prince in a sci fi setting which has no princes).

I mean if you don't care, why should I ... ?

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

On 09/10/2017 at 5:01 PM, Dragon said:

I don't understand it myself. A lot of actors have careers spanning decades, so there are a lot of visual representations of them for any given age. 

Plus there are those freaks (said affectionately cause I adore him) like Will Smith that just don't seem to age and look exactly the same now as they did 20 years ago.

I get told I look like I just graduated high school and I'm closer to thirty than I am twenty at this point. 

The whole thing is just annoying. There's no set social expectation of look for any age. I have a family member that is almost 100 years old but looks younger than another family member that is 30 years younger than she is. There's no rhyme or reason behind that dip ass standard. 

Indeed.

So if I use a picture of Kirk Douglas from Spartacus, I have to make him close to 100 years old, which he is now? Even though he was 44 years old in the picture?

Such an idiotic rule, I agree completely.

• I read this! 4

On 10/9/2017 at 1:53 AM, jenneral_jennson said:

I dont understand this rule. Like, I’ve never actually come across it myself but I hear it as a peeve often. 

i have this rule! but i also have caveats when it comes to using older pictures of a celebrity, or celebrities with baby faces/who look older than they are. 

just because i can't understand how using pictures of young angelina jolie as a 26yo is breaking this rule, but i've seen it happen. i think sometimes people make rules like that and don't think they can deviate from it.

j8KlPp.png 

• Admin

I talk about that rule in this:

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Admin
On 10/12/2017 at 9:17 AM, Sophie Hatter said:

i have this rule! but i also have caveats when it comes to using older pictures of a celebrity, or celebrities with baby faces/who look older than they are. 

just because i can't understand how using pictures of young angelina jolie as a 26yo is breaking this rule, but i've seen it happen. i think sometimes people make rules like that and don't think they can deviate from it.

10 hours ago, Dragon said:

Why would you put a half measure like that in your rule system? 

Rules are supposed to be the cement basis for your site. If you waffle around and say "face claims have to be within x years of the character but"  then it isn't a rule. At that point, its an arbitrary (read personal whim and/or choice)  standard. It effectively forces players to bow to your personal interpretation of something. Perception of age based on physical appearance is extremely subjective.

I have relatives in their 70's that you'd never estimate to be a day over 50 if even that.

If that much is true for actual living human beings, then why would you limit your member base's options for play by use? 

This should be in its own topic. <33 Keep this thread to peeves not discussions please!

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

When someone thinks my characters are high strung because they react realistically to a situation. Someone walks in completely uninvited and naked??? Of course she's going to be upset and demand they put clothes on, you ninny! Just because your character is a whore who doesn't give a shit about dicks flopping left and right doesn't mean my character is comfortable with it, or wants dicks and balls on her expensive furniture.

Maybe I'm being petty, but this is beyond annoying to me?

• I read this! 3
  • Preach it! 3

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

Most of my peeves have to do with legibility:

• Tiny fonts.
  • lack of proper capitalization.
  • Low contrast text areas.
  • Gifs in or around the thread text area.
  • Really narrow templates.
  • Text walls.
  • People who are more interested in their character being young and attractive than writing a good story.
  • People who are in it to "win" it and refuse to have their characters come out as anything other than on top in absolutely everything. This is particularly annoying when they are playing a character that you can't feasibly avoid playing with without messing up the plot.
  • Age of Face claim making age of character rules. Why does it have to be so specific? Why can't you just say; "please pick a photo of your FC that reasonably looks the age of your character?"

A peeve I have about myself is when I want and need to post up reply, but just... don't for no real reason at all other than laziness or feeling "blah". 

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 2

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

• Admin

People that share root admin accounts. It means that someone can steal your site.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

20 hours ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

Only if you don't trust the person you're sharing with implicitly.

You still want separate accounts, because what if the other person gets hacked? Even if you trusted them, now your RP is a search engine spam machine. Also helpful, if you interact with members, it's a good idea (for transparency) if your members know who they talked to about whatever thing... even if you are so in sync that you'll literally give the same answer, or at least back up whatever the other said 200% regardless of if you agree.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

On 11/1/2017 at 8:01 PM, jenneral_jennson said:

Character limits annoy the crap out of me. 

Speaking of limits, I was incredulous forever ago when I saw a limit on a specific race/ethnicity pop up on a site where it wasn't like that actually made a difference. Literally, it wouldn't affect the site at all. Made up town with all this made up stuff. It was even more annoying because not only did they limit a race, they specifically chose 'Asians' (and I won't say my problem with that in general since I already did lol) and I fucking... They even told me it was largely because of me, though unlike they who had a bunch of stereotypical white Hollywood actors, who mind you are great and all, but shows a greater lack of diversity themselves. My 'Asians' were pretty much Japanese, Iranian, and Indian PBs.

Wooow too many Asians my gosh.

Edited by Naome

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

All the sites I've considered joining lately are big on complicated posting templates for applications, plotters, posts, etc. I'd rather put my energy into doing research into a character's background, etc, than messing around with complicated templates. Nice, simple, bbcode templates are enough. They make the site pretty, sure, but I get the feeling that the prettiness is a distraction from content.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 2