A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

• Admin

That moment that you want everyone to hurry up and post but they are all busy! I NEED THREADS PEOPLE!

• I read this! 5

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

18 minutes ago, Space_Rogue said:

Oh boy! Don't get me started on those cretins. Have you ever been in conversation with someone on say FB or Twitter for weeks, to the point they are SO enthusiastic to join your site; whether for RPing or just as a contributor, then when they do join, that's it. Later when I've asked them about it.."Oh sorry I didn't realise I had to actually do anything on the forum." or "I don't have time now."

Yup, especially frustrating when it's someone you hire as staff and they don't do anything to help.

I got one that happens to me all the time: losing posts. In my case, I only have myself to blame. I write my posts in notepad, and generally erase the old ones after they've been posted. Well, I just had a post almost complete. Opened notepad, thought 'oh this crap here is all old, delete!' Only to realise no it wasn't old, and I just erased an almost complete post. And I'm sure you guys know how it is, when you try to redo the same post for a second time, it's never as good as it was. :P

• I read this! 6

• Admin

@Honorem I recommend Notepad++ CTRL+Z for the win!

Forgetting to press the post button once you have completed a post and it sits there until your friend says "you said tag but I don't see anything".

• I read this! 5

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Been there so many times. I have several issues and as my brother so kindly puts it, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I have memory retention issues as part of my AS, as well as the habit of repeating myself....often. So when it comes to writing long posts, I've found the best security now for me is to copy paste the post I am replying to in Word on my hard drive so I can write my own reply, then copy paste back. Its saved me a lot of heartache like the examples above and with a 3TB external HD, I don't care how much I store, its all listed by thread name so I know which is which. That also helped this week in recovering lost files for our restoration of the forum.

• I read this! 2

Oh man, I am so guilty of telling them tag and not having hit post. 

I'm conflicted on this one. On one hand, its flattering when people stop by and say they'd join but don't have time/already have too many sites, etc. But on the other hand, it isn't helping anyone.

• I read this! 6

@Morrigan I swear, I've done that more than a few times. At least with Nova it does this auto save thing if it detects no changes when it checks at 10 minute intervals from when the person enters the log to edit, so if I forget to hit the save button, it'll eventually save the changes into the database... but it doesn't trigger the notification email to the other person/people I'm writing with when it does this. >.<

I get frustrated with myself, especially since I finally finished adjusting one of the responsive skins @Wolfie made for Nova and I've been using it from my phone a lot more, when I start writing on my phone... then get pulled away or distracted, and because of the way Firefox likes to free up memory for me (so helpful, I wish I could at least selectively disable that) it'll lose my changes instead of letting Nova auto-save like it does on the desktop. x.x

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Guest Archaic Cyborg

THE USERNAME DILEMMA.Ffuuuck. I once had a guest get into a sulk because their name was already taken. My co-admin has a name, aka Chaos. This new player didn't want to change. They eventually left. It's way too confusing to have two+ people share a name. >( IC, not so much, but still annoying.

This extends to stupid names (IMHO) such as 'balverine bait', 'Daryl Dixon's Crossbow', 'animefan 2566'. Yeah, no. Don't. I'll even think of a name for you, if you'd like! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

People who procrastinate.. .forever. They never get anything done, but they pretend, as an excuse to hang around, etc. Obvious behaviour is obvious.

'what do I do with my chara?' <- after being accepted; cue repeat every day. It's your bloody creation! Don't treat us staff as puppet masters. I'm not rping FOR you.

Players afraid of aaaaanthing remotely 'different'. FFS. This is why games aren't improving. Staff aren't allowed to do things differently without a witch hunt.

'do I have to _______' aka post, plot, chat, reply to role calls... sign into the board, even.

Procrastination is so often the name of the game with some people ain't it? Lol.

Pet peeve #99. Going to a military based RP and find that the rules state your character must start at a certain rank and will be promoted via post count or whatever? That is the biggest wtf moment for me. How do you even contemplate writing a bio when you're told you have to start as a 2nd Lt or an Ensign, when the character you're writing is 35 and has had 17 years experience; served in numerous campaigns etc. Then that dick rule 'promoted by post count' d'oh, so you get some one who can post 500 IC posts in a fortnight, at that rate.......The worst I've seen is "oh if you don't want to be an officer we can slot you in as a Chief PO or a Master Sergeant? Excuse me; do these people realize how much cred those ranks have, how much time people have served to gain those ranks?

Pardon my rant; it comes from being a military brat.

• I read this! 2

• Admin
Spoiler

I actually like progression sites. It may break what should be considered "correct" but then it gives the site a level of IC progression that most sites don't get. When you just plop a character in and they are the most badass rank of badassery what's the point? I also think it helps a character grow into the site instead of expecting everyone to simply "respect the authority that comes with the rank that I wrote into my back story".

BUT ANYWAYS!

My pet peeve is wanting to write a post but barely being able to keep my eyes open.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

When someone joins a site when they don't agree with one or more of the rules, without discussing it with staff first.

You don't like the rules, don't agree to them. Either discuss it politely with staff before you join, or follow them if do join.

• I read this! 2

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin
1 minute ago, Death Kitten said:

When someone joins a site when they don't agree with one or more of the rules, without discussing it with staff first.

You don't like the rules, don't agree to them. Either discuss it politely with staff before you join, or follow them if do join.

I've actually had issues with rules post joining a site but I get you here. Most of the time the rules says one thing and the staff does another.

That's a pet peeve of mine. Staff breaking all of their own rules just because they can.

• I read this! 6

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

31 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

I've actually had issues with rules post joining a site but I get you here. Most of the time the rules says one thing and the staff does another.

That's a pet peeve of mine. Staff breaking all of their own rules just because they can.

Have you seen a site include in their rules some variation of "staff are not subject to the rules" though? Breaking the rules because the staff don't follow them isn't the same as finding a rule wrong and not discussing it until after you've agreed to follow the rules.

You didn't sneak a "Morrigan is above the law, no she is the law!" into the The Initiative rules when I wasn't looking, did you? 😛

• I read this! 5

• Admin

OMG @Death Kitten I totally should have but then I would seem like a complete bitch which we all know is only slightly true. Shuddup @Amelia.

Another Peeve of mine is when members point out flaws of staff members. (LOOKING AT YOU DK) and the things they SHOULD HAVE DONE (LIKE ADD THAT FUCKING RULE INTO MY CODE OF CONDUCT).

😍😉🤓😜

• I read this! 5

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Another of my fav peeves. People repeatedly starting their post with 'Walks in' and often too often the first thing said is 'What's going on?' I see that ad nauseum.

• I read this! 3

Arguing about lore or rules.

If things are set up on the board, they're that way for a reason. Or its the staff's preference. You are a random guest or a newbie (because I have yet to see established members doing it) your opinion on the fact that Thing X isn't allowed is noted and filed away but it isn't changing.

• I read this! 4