A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

When a RPer keeps reinterpreting others' posts in order to fit their own narrative. i.e. "That was not what my character just said!"

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 3

I was in a thread with someone, she told me she was going to be slow because of school/work obligations; and that was fine, at least she told me and I adjusted my expectations accordingly. We got 4 or 5 passes into the thread and then hit a really slow patch. Two weeks went by and I thought, ok, school/work is the problem and it'll clear up again. Browsing through the who plays whom section, I discovered that she'd dropped the character I was in a thread with and didn't tell me. I'd wasted all that time waiting and this thread was going to be the first step in a series of other plans that I had in mind, and she knew that.  Inconsiderate.

Another peeve is like @Lawman said, people who play based on the script in their heads, not what is actually going on, and interpreting your responses in ways that further their internal script.  

• I read this! 4

Flakes, always flakes. Seriously, I'd love to know why these people make brilliant apps, post once then disappear. Seems to be an epidemic everywhere nowadays, and it's really noticeable on smaller sites that aren't HP and don't get 50 new members a day. There's like a 10% chance that people will even stick around. It's mentally draining to welcome them all with a smile and try to convince yourself they're actually going to stay.

Even the ones who don't 'dive in' and just sit around lurking. We go out of our way to include them, inviting them to our existing threads or even making adventures tailor made around their character. And still they ditch. Why bother?

Sorry, got a bit unhinged with the rant there. :P

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 3
  • Preach it! 1

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Guests or applicants who nitpick and demand that you change the site to suit them. It's not my problem that your snowflake doesn't fit! Nor is it important that the last game you were in allowed xyz, 'so why doesn't mine do the same?'.

Change. People are too afraid of change. Not EVERY horror game needs vampires vs werewolves; not EVERY fantasy game needs Tolkien Elves; not every multi fandom game needs an Invasive Popular Fandom. The latter is related to a stranger's question about banning ZZZ in a new game, and if it would work. <-- 9/10 games are overrun by said fandom, I find it reasonable for a mod to block problematic series.

People who spam your inbox: for fuck's sake, I'm sleeping! The world doesn't revolve around one time zone! 

RPers who want to know your offline schedule and keep track. That's fucking creepy. e.g 'I know you're not asleep now so why aren't you writing with me?! can't you tell your friends to leave? what are you doing now? when's dinner and how long is it?'

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Archaic Cyborg

Complicated lies and lies in general, when shelving an rp or something that hasn't even started yet-- would go so much more smoother if people are honest. Don't you fucking advertise for vampires or pirates or robots, only to answer with:

I'm not interested in rping vampires, pirates or robots, because my best friend once broke my heart by selling my entire vampiric pirate robot manga collection and now I can't not be reminded of that tragedy every time I see vampires, pirates and robots.

Yes, it has been that absurd. What the fuck.

Guest: x(
Guest: I really wanted to join this one, but that hardline FC requirement killed me </3

Maybe ask if there is a possible exception without being rude about it. I would have been more than happy to discuss it, but not after that. So </3 indeed.

Member: I'm bored, what should I do?

Reply to the threads you have left hanging for weeks would be nice!

Sorry, minor rants I needed off my chest, and this thread always helps. :D

Edited by Honorem
Fixing weird line break formatting
  • I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

As an admin when a site has an affiliates section but you can't find anywhere on the site where to request to affiliate.

• I read this! 3

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

On 5/10/2017 at 0:48 PM, wicked said:

I can't tell you how many times people used to PM me on this one site saying hey let's rp and I'd ask them ok, what do you have in mind and literally I got "Lol idk, you pick! tag me and I'll reply" >.<

Ugh, that reminds me of a time I took this person's want ad and she was SUPER EXCITED. Once he was accepted, I asked her what basic plot ideas she had for the two characters (he was supposed to be her character's lover). 

"Uhh, I dunno. Whatever you like I'm cool with!"

...REALLY? This is YOUR want ad but you have no idea what to do with them beyond creation. Sure, I can develop him on my own but you're going to have to give me something to work with here. I ended up having to come up with the plot to every thread and was the only one that would push for progression. It was exhausting and found myself thankful when she left.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

Instant shipping, either when you're rping a canon character that hasn't got a ship yet (or one you don't intend to ship), or when someone asks you to rp a character they've created specifically for a ship they have in mind.

The former puts me off writing a character I want to enjoy writing/previously enjoyed writing to that point.

I probably wouldn't mind the later so much if I'd rped with the writer previously and got to like the character they want the ship for, but when it's out of the blue, nope... Bonus points too, when it is centered around something I've no interest in doing.

• Admin

Rules that read like the staff member is annoyed to have to have written it.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

23 hours ago, Morrigan said:

YES!

Also, when they refer to themselves.

Examples:

We don't believe in <subject>.

It's a clearly listed rule, so don't make me tell you again.

Imagine if big companies started writing their TOS in this way.

'Here at Google, don't make me spank you!'

- Google CEO.

• I read this! 2

On 5/29/2017 at 1:46 AM, Morrigan said:

I am guilty of doing this even though my annoyance stems from a "I cannot believe I actually have to put this in the rules as I thought it was a given" sort of thing. Luckily, my coadmin and I are really good about catching each other's snark before it hits the board. 

The "I'm bored" members drive me so damn crazy that I filtered the word "bored" from my cbox. Now when someone says "I'm bored," it comes out as "I'm a sparkly princess."

• I read this! 1
  • Love 2

shbutton.jpg

25 minutes ago, Buttons said:

The "I'm bored" members drive me so damn crazy that I filtered the word "bored" from my cbox. Now when someone says "I'm bored," it comes out as "I'm a sparkly princess."

Now I am picturing all your bored members as Princess Big Mac. :love2:

• LOL 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

14 hours ago, Buttons said:

I am guilty of doing this even though my annoyance stems from a "I cannot believe I actually have to put this in the rules as I thought it was a given" sort of thing. Luckily, my coadmin and I are really good about catching each other's snark before it hits the board. 

Well, as I'm fond of saying, people who constantly complain about being bored are probably boring people themselves.

Edited by Lawman
  • I read this! 2

Players who constantly say "I have yada yada muse but nothing to do" after it's been suggested to start an open or check out the opens or shipper or ask someone. If you're going to whine about having nothing to do and not make an effort I've no time for you.

Edited by jenneral_jennson
  • I read this! 3