Which of these matters most to you on a site?

Kieran

Most important aspects...  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/18/2016 at 5:15 PM, Kieran said:

*If you feel like not joining an RP if there hasn't been activity/game posts for a few weeks, do you just x out immediately or do you check if that just happens to be an exceptional situation at the moment?

* Does the number of members on the site matter to your decision when you consider what's active enough for you? Like, do you consider it in relative terms?

* How likely are you to be the first to join a new site? Or even the second or third to join?

* Do you prefer simple small skin/layout that's easy to navigate or a fancy big and complex layout that sucks you into its hugeness and seemingly gives an impression of a gigantic game?

* Does the admin's activity level on the site's development/updates matter to you? On a site that already has many members? On a site that has a low member count?

* How crucial is the forum host to you?

* Do you have absolute deal-breakers? Or is there always somethingthat might have you join a game anyway?

Ok so, the first question.... well sometimes a I check back. Cause you never know. However, sometimes you just know that the site is completely dead. I guess it matters how active the admin(s) is/are that really determines my thought.

2. I never exactly do, because a site has to start somewhere. So if they have like three people on and are willing to post and plot with you. Then yes I'd be all over that. However, if nobody is doing anything. Then why bother?

3. It's pretty likely, like I said above, every site starts somewhere. so being a brand new member i'd be happy to see where the site grows. if that makes any sense.

4. I like fancy as long as its easy to navigate. Some fancy skins have become so crazy that it really defeats the purpose. But it is a plus factor for me.

5. It matters a great deal to see an admin active on their site. I get when they are busy, cause everybody gets busy, but if they aren't around to keep the order, so to speak, then what's the point of having an admin? It doesn't matter how many members, if nobody is in control of the reigns; I.e. helping accept, keeping the site clean, appropriate and what not. Then as i said before what's the point?

6. It's not terribly crucial. I know more about invisionfree/jcink then i do about any other hosting site. 

7. I do have deal-breakers, it just depends on the site i'm looking at to go into detail.

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely think activity is important, particularly in the cbox, but I definitely go off the writers I'll be playing with. I'll forgive less activity if there's good writers!

demonrealm_468.png

So i voted 'Something Else', mostly because I think the options are a little too vague for my tastes. There isn't one key important factor for me when it comes to joining a site. Sure, some things might sway my decision to join, but it's ultimately first impressions upon poking into the c-box, or other chat function on a site.

Be it the admin response, the member response, or what have you.

I've popped into sites that have a speedy moving OOC chat, and members get so involved that questions and concerns get drowned out, and despite the activity, the pretty skin, and the overall good vibes of the site, I left, since they couldn't take the time to give me just a minute to ask a question. Then you find an ugly mess of a site, but the members and staff are so friendly, well, you stick around. You get used to the ugly mess, and it becomes your favorite ugly mess and you stay and everyone's just plain awesome.

1. If you feel like not joining an RP if there hasn't been activity/game posts for a few weeks, do you just x out immediately or do you check if that just happens to be an exceptional situation at the moment?

If the board itself is void of posts for over a week, i peek at other things. I check the 'online today' list if it's available. My hours of browsing are usually in the evenings, so if no one's been online all day, the threads aren't moving, and the c-box is dead? I move on.

2.  Does the number of members on the site matter to your decision when you consider what's active enough for you? Like, do you consider it in relative terms?

I prefer sites with smaller member counts, usually. I have made exceptions in the past, but those sites got very clique-ish very fast, and I eventually kind of just slipped away. No one likes a site where it's a struggle to find a partner to write with. Now, if it's just a small writer count with multiple characters to each writer, I'm more apt to linger.

I joined a site that had only been open two days, had 10 accepted characters when I apped. By the time I left for work, worked a full shift, and got home, that number exploded to over 40 apps both accepted and pending. All attempts to plot with others were shut down, and I noticed that everyone had apparently come from another site where they'd all been together and had extravagant back stories with their characters. I hate to say it, but I've since App and Dash'd, which I hate when it happens, but I didn't feel like I had much of a choice. Also, terrible social anxiety left me not wanting to poke an admin and apologize for wasting their time, I'm out. D:

3.  How likely are you to be the first to join a new site? Or even the second or third to join?

While I wasn't the first, I was a new member on a relatively young site. I offered to do a skin review, and got so absorbed by what I was reviewing that I stayed.

4.  Do you prefer simple small skin/layout that's easy to navigate or a fancy big and complex layout that sucks you into its hugeness and seemingly gives an impression of a gigantic game?

Depends on the setting. Some settings, simple works. Others, more complicated skins work. So long as all the needed information is easy to find, and not hidden, I don't mind. Personally I went from a simple skin, to a slightly more complicated, and we're going back to simple again.

5.  Does the admin's activity level on the site's development/updates matter to you? On a site that already has many members? On a site that has a low member count?

Admin activity in general is important. Updates themselves aren't that big of a deal, but seeing them is nice, seeing how they're worded tells me how that admin is going to handle the site as a whole. Seeing the way they interact with their current members also helps a lot. As an admin myself, I try to dish out equal attention to everyone when I can, and readily answer questions even if I'm late to the conversation.

6.  How crucial is the forum host to you?

Enough that I avoid Proboards because I hate their system. The only exception is my friend's site. And mostly because it's been reskinned in such a way that it's not an annoying Proboards mess.

7. Do you have absolute deal-breakers? Or is there always something that might have you join a game anyway?

Deal Breaker : I anticipate some flak for this... it's not 100%, but when I see SJW rules on the board, I tend to about face and just go. If they feel the need to include rules about Pronouns, Sexuality, and the like, I don't think it's the place for me. (unless it's integral to the functionality of the site, 9/10 it's not, not for the circles i follow) It tells me there's more going on there than needs to be. It tells me there's been problems in the past that they need to include these rules. Personally I try to accommodate as many people as I can, but when you have to throw rules about misgendering someone...

Deal Maker: Right now? it's an open Bucky Barnes slot, He's become my addiction. I can't help it. I have a problem.

• I read this! 4

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

For the people that indicated that they look at the Chatbox for a clear indicator of activity when scoping out a site:

Is the Chat box more, less, or about equal importance to the "recent posts" on the board itself?

And as a Followup; does the chat have to be guest friendly? (or is a guest board doable, so long as there's somewhere to ask questions without joining first)

Edited by CovertSphinx
missed a word

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

9 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

For the people that indicated that they look at the Chatbox for a clear indicator of activity when scoping out a site:

Is the Chat box more, less, or about equal importance to the "recent posts" on the board itself?

And as a Followup; does the chat have to be guest friendly? (or is a guest board doable, so long as there's somewhere to ask questions without joining first)

I would rank the chat box about equal. The board could be slower, but if the box is active, it tells me that there are people around, perhaps looking for people to RP with, or simply waiting on their responses.

Chat doesn't HAVE to be guest friendly for me, a board is good too, but I like the option of being able to snag someone in a moment's notice (I keep weird hours) and get my questions answered asap. If I relied personally on a board, I'd likely forget about it and never come back. :/

• I read this! 2

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

I'd say the Cbox is just as important as the current posts. You can't always crank out a ton of posts a day, and some posts are longer than others, meaning content =/= quantity in terms of post number vs amount posted. But the Cbox could be booming. Real life hits and you don't always feel like writing but you want to chat with people. Sometimes that chatting leads to threads even if you aren't in the mood.

I'm on board with dodging the SJW rules. If I have to include my character's pronouns anywhere, I immediately don't care about doing so. It doesn't seem applicable and if it's that big of a difference, wouldn't it have come up in threads/shippers/discussions about plotting? I find it something small blown way out of proportion and made into a huge deal when it shouldn't be.

I can understand overlooking guests when all they do is that "mews" bullshit or make some sound that in no way indicates they're interested, its just them making a noise for attention. But if its someone in there saying hello or asking questions there is no excuse to not greet them/answer them, even if you're chatting. Its one of the things I pride my members on, they're all eager to answer questions/find an admin that can answer them if none of them know. 

• I read this! 3

• 3 weeks later...

I wish there had been more options. I did pick post quality, yet I believe it involves quite a few factors. Post activity is important, if you see a site that generates barely a handful of posts in a week, then you can guarantee it'll hit the boredom level quite soon. If the Admins are not active, sites like that I've seen die rapidly as well.

Member involvement with the staff is important to. Some forums leave you virtually on your own when you first sign up, telling you to create your own stories/plots? I join a forum RP because they have something to offer and something I can dive fairly quickly into.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked active admin, which would be my first crucial requirement in a site. So far, so good. Following that in order would be a laid-back site culture, a few enthusiastic members, and very well-fleshed out lore.

*If you feel like not joining an RP if there hasn't been activity/game posts for a few weeks, do you just x out immediately or do you check if that just happens to be an exceptional situation at the moment?

You know, it's a given that there are seasonal lulls in roleplay like summer or Christmas. I'd probably give allowances for that. Apart from this, there would have to be a great interest in the site and plots for me to look back again in a few weeks' time. This is if I was looking for an active place to play in. Unfortunately, my activity levels across the boards I play on have dropped, so I feel kind of like an hypocrite saying this lol.

* Does the number of members on the site matter to your decision when you consider what's active enough for you? Like, do you consider it in relative terms?

Dude, no. Quality > Quantity, always. Besides, I'm a hermit. You know... that sort of hermit who really just enjoys smaller groups so that I don't feel all spread thin.

* How likely are you to be the first to join a new site? Or even the second or third to join?

Pretty darn likely! When I first began to roleplay, the site was at the time relatively new. I wasn't the first, second, or third to join, but the member base was so small at the time. Recently, I joined another site which is also new (not the premise or game itself, I think it had been revived or changed hosting?) and am loving it. It's a very small member base right now. <3 But if I was to be the first to join, then I would check out how active, enthusiastic, and totally committed the staff was and read how they organized their lore, rules, etc. If it all checks out, then I'm game!

* Do you prefer simple small skin/layout that's easy to navigate or a fancy big and complex layout that sucks you into its hugeness and seemingly gives an impression of a gigantic game?

I prefer an elegant skin with organized layout. If it is fancy, it should at least be easily navigable. If it looks too large or busy, then I won't join it.

* Does the admin's activity level on the site's development/updates matter to you? On a site that already has many members? On a site that has a low member count?

Hm. On the development/updates? Well, maybe. I prefer seeing the admin involved with the game than worrying over updating. When I think of that, I think of admins who have put all their focus on newsletters, OTMs, updating skin, rules, putting in new graphics, etc rather than actually writing posts or interacting with members that isn't on the level of "pay homage to me and make me feel good". And this goes for either highly populated or small member-count. 

Well, familiarity should breed contempt, but it doesn't for me. I like jcink. I prefer it. And have so far only played on jcink forums. My new site will be on it! So, it is fairly crucial after all, then.

* Do you have absolute deal-breakers? Or is there always something that might have you join a game anyway?

I do have absolute deal breakers. I think everyone has their limits and I learned mine the hard way over the past year and half. I won't play on a site that : a.) have very small fonts and difficult to find information, b.) gives me a wrong / off feeling about the staff and members that leaves me cagey and unsure, and c.) offers very little in terms of branching out and developing.

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

I picked 'something else' because 'warmness of community' wasn't there. To me, it doesn't matter what we write as long as we do it together and enjoy it. I love that no one really fights on my board.

*If you feel like not joining an RP if there hasn't been activity/game posts for a few weeks, do you just x out immediately or do you check if that just happens to be an exceptional situation at the moment?

It depends on the setting really. As an admin of a pretty active board I'm totally alright with a smaller and slower board. I don't mind the heavy and busy stuff either, but when I look at a second board I'm happier to have a smaller one.

Nope. Never has. Because I have girls on my site that can work through 20 characters and not ever get behind. Then I have some that only have one character and just freaking work it.

The first? Never. Mostly because I am older now. I don't have time to be the building blocks. I'm happy to help, but a lot of times I get roped in to helping start the story and I just can't do that anymore in my life.

Simple and clean. I like simple and clean. Recently I was gifted a skin as a 'thank you' and though I was sooooo pleased with it in the end, the thought of having to redo it all over again made me stop in my tracks. I couldn't press forward without hurting their feelings, they worked so hard!!! But damn it then I had to spend like the next week fixing things and getting new graphics, and making sure it worked. Hell I have a girl right now who is going through it with a fine tooth comb as we speak because we STILL can't get the coding to work in places.

But nothing makes me click off faster than too fancy stuff.

This is such a double edged sword. It really is. I always feel damned if I do and damned if I don't. Because in my DM's I'll have someone bitching that I'm not helping promote their event fast enough, while another is lost because they have no idea what is going on, or someone upset that I haven't posted all week. This past summer my admin team were MIA, they both have families and vacations to take so we were for sure butting heads when we did come together. I sat down and started a night with nothing but posts and fun and then OOC drama took over, and boom that was gone. Someone needed something.

But at the same time all of this is happening I'm looking out over them and seeing them having such a great time and laughing. I have a girl who is struggling to get pregnant, one that is struggling with her current pregnancy, one that is living apart from her husband, another finding her place in the world, young students, older professionals, and at the end of the day we are there for one another.

A community like that takes a lot of work and I have spent a great number of hours as a counselor to them not because I want them to stay and write, hell a lot of them don't write as much any more, but because we have built this beautiful safe space together and they are friends to me not just players.

Well I had to have the ability to write sex damn it, so I went with the best of the best in that. Sure I pay like 120 a year for it, but the fact that we can write whatever the hell we want and no one cares? Priceless.

* Do you have absolute deal-breakers? Or is there always somethingthat might have you join a game anyway?

I do. I so do. My deal breakers are the community. If you don't welcome me in as a new person and post with me right away you are so not worth my time.

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

If you feel like not joining an RP if there hasn't been activity/game posts for a few weeks, do you just x out immediately or do you check if that just happens to be an exceptional situation at the moment?

If I don't know the admins/members well enough to know that it's just a specific situation (IE they haven't greeted me, posted an announcement, or anything) then normally yes. I'll leave, because I'm not going to chance wasting my creative energy on a dying site.

Does the number of members on the site matter to your decision when you consider what's active enough for you? Like, do you consider it in relative terms?

For me, the number doesn't matter, but the activity of the overall members do. The number could be as low as seven but have more activity than a site with over twenty members. I just want to be able to write and enjoy a community, if I can do that, it's all good.

How likely are you to be the first to join a new site? Or even the second or third to join?

Not very likely.

Do you prefer simple small skin/layout that's easy to navigate or a fancy big and complex layout that sucks you into its hugeness and seemingly gives an impression of a gigantic game?

I enjoy effort. If the admin puts effort into a site to make it look nice, you know they care about it - and by extension, - you. Normally anyway.

It doesn't have to be the best skin out there, but effort goes a long way.

Does the admin's activity level on the site's development/updates matter to you? On a site that already has many members? On a site that has a low member count?

Yes to all.

If the admin doesn't care enough to try and do their part as quickly as life allows them, then why should the members?

How crucial is the forum host to you?

I don't care.

Do you have absolute deal-breakers? Or is there always something that might have you join a game anyway?

A rude community is not a fun community. I avoid places with toxic OOC atmospheres, little inclusion, and so on. When it comes to the game alone, I leave if I see a lot of typos and little effort. Inactivity for more than a day or two is also something I avoid.

• I read this! 1

• 1 month later...

* If you feel like not joining an RP if there hasn't been activity/game posts for a few weeks, do you just x out immediately or do you check if that just happens to be an exceptional situation at the moment?

I x out immediately. Impatient, me.

Not generally. 

In theory, very likely.

I become inarticulate with rage when I am confronted with a skin that chooses aesthetics over functionality. 

It absolutely matters to me.

I wouldn't call it crucial. There are some formats I like more than others, and if the RP isn't on that format then I just grit my teeth and deal with it.

* Do you have absolute deal-breakers? Or is there always something that might have you join a game anyway?

Word counts. In general, applications turn me off too (because I am lazy).

Typically though, I'm so picky and have such high standards and expectations that it's typically easier for me to just make a forum myself instead of joining one. I can have everything to my specifications then, and be happy.

• I read this! 1