Moving Away From Logic

Wolfie

Something that is really bothering me on one of the games I'm on now is how far we're moving away from what should/would actually be seen on the Star Trek TV show. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Trek universe and Trek simming, but I'm sure at least @Death Kitten will get what I'm saying. lol 

The biggest issue that I'm seeing right now is a lot of references to this org that really shouldn't even be mentioned on a Trek simulation. Something that not even most of the characters on DS9 knew about or could confirm. And, on this sim, there isn't one, but TWO instances of this. There is also a changeling on the sim who is a Starfleet officer, which I find to be absurd. I just wish that people would try to at least make things realistic when it comes to their stories. I get that they want to be unique and everything, but it annoys me when people go overboard. </rant> :/ lol  

• I read this! 3

Commanding Officer, USS Tempest 

A Play-by-Nova Century-class starship set in the Delta Quadrant

Tempest-full.png

C'mon poke me...see what happens... >:(

The challenge is, everyone wants to be the protagonist of the story. They want the spotlight. And a lot of people in RP are here because they want to be writers, but maybe they don't have the experience or education to help them craft their stories. I know when I look back at some of the first logs I wrote for sims past, or even some of the fiction I wrote before that, it was pretty horrific. I didn't know any better.

So, when you get inexperienced people running a game, for people who don't know any better, you get people asking to write things that are easily world breaking and being told yes by a staff that doesn't know better and literally think that success is based entirely on how many players you have.

I try to be patient with these people when I have time, help guide them and lead by example if I can. But sometimes, you just have to go find a new game if there's a leather jacket and a shark involved (there seriously should be an emoji for that).

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Yeah. One of the sites I originally simmed with is actually still up on the internet. I'm not going to link it here because I want to save your eyes, but it was pretty bad. I remember the GM telling me that I went out of control and deep down, I knew it. It doesn't look like these people know it and I went to the GM but they weren't much help at all. It's exactly this type of thing that annoys me. 

Tempest-full.png

I literally shredded one of my first star trek fan fics. It was just that bad. It was the textbook example of a Mary Sue. Not the strong woman character that would be totally fine if she was a man, but the I literally wrote myself into star trek using time travel. It made no sense, it was horrible. Thus it was fed to my paper shredder.

But everyone comes from there. No one springs fully formed from their father's head with the gift of the bard.

• I read this! 1

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Heh I'm still using my RL last name for my chars, but that's kind of become my trademark for writers who know me now. "Oh, its last name is Wolf? It must be one of Emily's characters." lol

Old habits die hard, sadly. I can say that I've grown a lot from when I first started writing. I've actually gone back to old sites and deleted records of my bio so no one else would have to read those eye sores. I kept some, but man, were they bad. lol

Moral of the story is, I guess, people can learn if they have the right people guiding them. Otherwise, they can spiral out of control. :/

• I read this! 2

Tempest-full.png

Dudette, I literally have a whole family line sprung from the first character I wrote a when I first started simming, even though I have long "lost" the logs written back then. Amelia Waterhouse is the daughter of that first character, Diziara (call sign Death Kitten, which is still my Internet alias). I didn't even plan on Diz reproducing and the Amelia's father was supposed to be a throw away npc and his family name was pulled from one of my favorite books. Cor had other plans, and well, here we are.

• I read this! 2

LOL, at least you had them related! With mine, Starfleet just has a s*hit ton of Wolfs serving in their ranks. hahahahaha

• I read this! 1

Tempest-full.png

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

LOL, at least you had them related! With mine, Starfleet just has a s*hit ton of Wolfs serving in their ranks. hahahahaha

Hey, maybe a few generations back there was a Wolf who was a career fleetie and made an epic name for themself and had a lot of kids. So they could all be distant cousins and not realize it?

• I read this! 2

Just now, Death Kitten said:

Hey, maybe a few generations back there was a Wolf who was a career fleetie and made an epic name for themself and had a lot of kids. So they could all be distant cousins and not realize it?

That's actually a pretty good idea.....hahahahaha

It'd be crazy to explain that IC, but it'd be awesome to have a Wolf family reunion with all of my chars. :D

• I read this! 2

Tempest-full.png

It's gonna be my head canon now. You can't stop it.

• I read this! 1

• Admin

I'll be honest. Star Trek has always been a place of "anything possible" so I guess it depends on the environment. Obviously they would be distrusting to changelings and whatnot but I mean Starfleet is known for tolerance Re: Worf etc.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Just now, Morrigan said:

I'll be honest. Star Trek has always been a place of "anything possible" so I guess it depends on the environment. Obviously they would be distrusting to changelings and whatnot but I mean Starfleet is known for tolerance Re: Worf etc.

You do have a point, but it isn't just one thing. It's the mix of them that annoys me. Having one instance of anything I mentioned is fine, but when you pile one on top of another it gets to a point where you're just like "Really? How could this even happen?".

• I read this! 1

Tempest-full.png

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

You do have a point, but it isn't just one thing. It's the mix of them that annoys me. Having one instance of anything I mentioned is fine, but when you pile one on top of another it gets to a point where you're just like "Really? How could this even happen?".

I sometimes asked that while watching episodes of Star Trek too. lol

• I read this! 3

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Just now, Morrigan said:

I sometimes asked that while watching episodes of Star Trek too. lol

Hahahahaha fair enough. :D

• I read this! 2

Tempest-full.png

This kind of thing is definitely getting more common everywhere.

In the vein of your example, their character just knows about some super secret thing that no one else does, and they have no good reason as to why. The equivalent of some random on the street knowing every classified report from Area 51 by heart. Total insanity right. And then you get another person who wants their character to know too, and another, and another. Until the setting starts notably suffering as a result because what was meant to be secret is suddenly known by half of the 'super badasses' on the site.

At any rate it does suck. Probably the main reason sites end up having restrictions, because too many people are using oversights. Like one of my old bosses in a retail job once said, 'signs aren't made through assumption, but as a response'. In other words, you write up a guide on how to use a very simple coffee machine with two buttons, because a bunch of people beforehand managed to screw that very simple task up. xD!

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 1