Building Custom Lore

Morrigan

• Admin

So most sandbox sites allow for the members to contribute their own lore and build on what already exists and that got me thinking about how I want to allow my members build the site with me and I came up with a moderately off the wall idea and wanted to know opinions as well as see if anyone else has done this before?

Most of the time I would build the organizations, their hierarchy and allow the members to pick up the positions from there. This would include the inter workings of the the organization, the name, how they operate, what their purpose is and how they are viewed and whatnot. Pretty standard, give people the base and let them build. My idea is going even more skeletal then that, have an organization with a purpose and allow for a member to claim it and create all the details, from the name, when it was established etc. Basically instead of me building the organization the person that picks up the current leader makes this information the only thing I would provide is the organizations "purpose" so that they could build from there.

So an example of this would be Naturalists (for my setting) which are the people that believe that putting technology in their body is unnatural and they won't do it. From there someone would claim the organization as the leader (subordinate characters would not be allowed until the organization is claimed and fleshed out). At that point people could actually be a part of the organization.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I kinda like the idea. The question becomes though, if someone comes in and claims the org, and then later leaves the game... Do subsequent leaders have to acknowledge the previous players' history?

I could see it being disruptive if someone claimed the org, fleshed it out a while and played it, then RL pulls them away and they relinquish control, and the next person to step into the role wants to go an entirely different direction... But instead of changing the flow towards what they want, or having something happen ic to explain the abrupt changes, they just go 'nope, that didn't happen'.

• I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin

I would likely create a built in rule that inactive leaders or those who leave the site are effectively giving the organization to their second in command (something that would have to be a part of the creation of the hierarchy) would take over. If they want to go a different direction, just like with a real organization that has a change of leadership, they would have to do it in character since the original organization since it would technically become a part of the sites history once created.

What I'm thinking is that it's interactive, character created site history. Basically the organization will have existed already and so a reboot wouldn't happen.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I used to call it my "Open World Initiative". I love adding contributions from other members into the site's workings. It makes everyone feel more involved, and I don't feel like I'm doing all the heavy lifting as the admin. Granted, it's also made me very adapt at writing out loose ends when needed.

• I read this! 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg