Method to your madness

Morrigan

• Admin

So as a staff member, when you are setting up a site you normally have a method to your madness. A specific means in which you set up your site in which works for you to get to completion.

As weird as it is, for me? It's the skin. I start with the skin and work on the information as I design it. I like to come up with unique skins that really fit the setting. I mean from LCARS Star Trek sites to Star Wars Pads it is always an adventure to make a skin. It's likely one of my favorite jobs as an administrator to do even if I don't do the standard ones that people get so much praise for. I think mine are awesome.

In the midst of this design I will also start the information.

Once both are done I go through the information.

If at this point I'm still interested in the original subject matter I release and start posting on directories.

How about you?

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Sometimes I will start with the information for the site and sometimes I will start with the skin, finding one that fits or either making one if I am motivated enough.  It depends on if I have an idea for the plot and stuff first or not.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I start creating the characters and plots. Sometimes one causes the other, sometimes they come in tandem. Since I tend to play in fandom (particularly star trek), I don't usually need to do as much world building, but what little I do usually comes as a result of plot or character making a need.

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I start with the documentation because this is what I can do. Before of meanwhile, somebody will make a skin and a graphic because I can't.

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I usually make the board skeleton first, grab the widgets or codes I think I'll need for certain mechanics, etc.I'll then fill in some of my "templates" (like general rules, leave an open post where an ad might eventually go, profile set up, things like that) while working out an initial color scheme. Then I'll go full-force into the skin before adding anything remotely related to Plot/BoardTheme specific detailed info.

Having a visual spirit helps me concentrate on the story.

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Honestly, I always find the skin first. Then from there I go to my graphics, followed by all the other information. For some reason I've always done it that way. I guess it's easier for me? Or maybe that was how I was taught. I can't remember lol.

• I read this! 1