Avoiding burn out on a new site

Robmin

This is actually a very useful topic for me, given that I haven´t Admined a place in a few years. I usually struggle because of the way that I am wired as a person. I´m a perfectionist, a plotter, and I often feel like I as an Admin must be a certain way. The Admin hat as some have mentioned here, is something that I rarely if ever can take off when in this position. I don´t know why, but it just is. Which is kinda surprising, given that as a regular member, I am always joking around and making the kinds of jokes that I steer away from as an Admin.

This is something that I´m trying to change, but struggle with rather hard. This drives me to try and make people feel welcomed, even though I´m not a nice or that social of a person. I´m usually snarky, ironic and have that dark humour kind of vibe. Given that I´m also a plotter, I´m always trying to understand what people want to achieve with their characters, so that I may change or adapt current and future plots to facilitate said developments.

Hmm..To put it short, I´m the kind that plots and tries to write with the most people, even if only just to try and make the board look as active as possible. After all, we just started. But now that I´ve seen this topic? I´m likely going to try and change it somewhat. You guys are right. Trying to do everything at the same time is just crazy, and I can´t be everywhere. So thanks for that.

Edited by Beruk
No space in paragraphs

I would have to say I have only solo admined when I couldn't find staff to help me out before, but even then I would eventually have a staff search happen on the site so I wasn't forever solo admining.   But if you have to people have already given really good suggestions to avoid burn out.  I think doing certain things on one day and other things on another day is a really good idea.  So you aren't doing it all on one day.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

Solo adminning is a LOT of work, especially on the forum type boards. Forum boards are where there is a big expectation from players for you to have/be able to: Unlimited coding skills, time, patience, extensive advertising know-how, can live on no sleep; so the Cbox always has someone in it; everything is made up to date instantly and unlimited muse on tap. Easy right? lol

Start small and build on as you can manage things. Advertise in a few places and see what kind of traffic it brings to your site. If you advertise and nobody is there to say Hi and answer questions, it won't matter if there are regular posts, they probably won't stay long, so place ads when you know you can be around the next few days afterwards. As previously mentioned, have a schedule and stick to it and most importantly, don't forget why you started doing it in the first place: To write posts with others.  Seek out responsible people that have earned your trust and respect from your site to help you with the moderator tasks and day to day running/ greeting. 

• I read this! 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising