Gender in Roleplays

Morrigan

Do you care about genders in roleplay?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've pissed off a lot of people, lost respect, and lost friends because of this topic.

Gender doesn't matter.

I grew up in a generation where we didn't care about gender. She/he/they/apacheHelicopter, none of it mattered because we treated you equally. Besides romantic interest, it had no bearing on anything at all. (Basically, this, but it's very crude) . We even understood that a day (now) would come when pills could change a gender with as much completeness as what one was born with.

I'm trying to get better, I'm trying to treat people by their preferred pronouns and such but it's so hard for me because it feels like these pronouns make people in-equal and somehow different. The rage I face in this topic alone is terrifying and off-putting, as if I personally am all the things that made their life difficult and angry. I'm trying to understand that self-identity is super important to the current generation. Some people are super gracious and it's extremely helpful and progressive. Some are not.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

On 2/22/2017 at 7:11 PM, Kit the Human said:

I use the pronouns field. If there are characters that are passing as a different gender, they can clarify that in their profile.

There's a couple of characters on my forum that are gender neutral. So y'know, it's a thing that happens.

I'm sure it is. I just said that in the 20+ years I've been RPing I have never encountered one much less one that's stuck around for a long period of time. I don't go prancing through every board, but I see boards with the "Male, Female, Nonbinary" sections in a census and the final one is, in my experience, always empty.

As always, things are written with experience in mind. Do these things exist? I'm sure they do. I've stated I've never encountered a board with it filled out (beyond one with a race that held no gender,) nor had it ever come up in decades worth of RP until the past year or so. And then hasn't been brought up to me personally, despite several RPers/friends struggling with gender identity. I've only ever seen it in situations like this, or when someone is trying to stir up trouble or raise a fuss over something no one (generally) cares about. (In the fashion that we don't care what you/your character identify as, we're here to play. Do whatever, its your character.)

Basically, I'm back to my first point: Having a field for it is all well and good, but you can survive perfectly fine without one. To each their own, I don't see the point and tend to roll my eyes at pronoun options (specifically for players,) mostly because it's the internet, no one can see me and on forums it's generally assumed everyone is a woman until stated otherwise, in my experience.

That and I only keep a census so the random people that ask what we need can get pointed in that direction so they can satisfy their itch to round out numbers.

Edited by Rune
  • I read this! 2
  • Love 1